Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A full function linux control point?
05-10-2014, 21:11
RE: A full function linux control point?
(05-10-2014 20:33)Pastim Wrote:  I have downloaded the new version, and the menu right-click issue is fixed - thanks very much.

As to the volume control, it doesn't change the volume on my renderers (Marantz and also Musical Fidelity M1CLiC), but if I change the volume on them using a remote control, the slider moves on the upplay screen. So there is some form of communication going on, but one way.

Ok, I am going to try to reproduce this on other renderers (I mostly tested with upmpdcli up to this point). With a bit of luck, this will work (fail). Else, I'll add an option in the next version for raising the debug level so that we can have a trace of the exchange with the renderer and understand what happens, and I'll ask you to run a test and send me the log (if you're ok with this of course).

(05-10-2014 20:33)Pastim Wrote:  By doing:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/init.d/upmpdcli
as on your downloads page, upmpdcli no longer starts - thanks.

I have a few other observations to make - I hope they'll be taken in the spirit intended - ie. a few notes, not complaints!

Of course, I should have been more explicit on this, obviously, it's very useful for me to get information about what does not work in the current version, so that I can finalize it. The other useful thing, if you use the package from time to time, would be to tell me what function/shortcuts/accelerators you are most lacking, so that I can improve the usability.

(05-10-2014 20:33)Pastim Wrote:  Gapless works on my better renderer (M1CLiC) but not the Marantz - much as expected and consistent with other control points.

This would appear to mean that the Marantz does not support SetNextAVTransportURI. Do you know if it is supposed to ?

(05-10-2014 20:33)Pastim Wrote:  On my xubuntu laptop there's no slider for the list of tracks, whereas on ubuntu there is. It's not important, but when there are hundreds of items it takes a little to scroll down while using PgDn or down-arrow. I assume this is something to do with different versions of QT.

It would be nice to be able to resize the now-playing window. Many of my classical tracks have long names.

I need to improve the GUI a lot, this is far from being my specialty, but I'll try anyway. Scrollbars would also be useful on the directory browser, this is on the todo. I hope I'll be able to reproduce the disappearing slider on the track list...

I just noticed that you can resize the player and tracklist if you hide the library part. But obviously, the current resizing/scrolling situation is not satisfactory, I do intend to improve it.

(05-10-2014 20:33)Pastim Wrote:  If the last renderer used is not powered on, upplay won't start (checked in a terminal window). I get a message like:
Code:
Renderer uuid:5f9ec1b3-ff59-19bb-8530-0006780950ce not found
Can't connect to media renderer
It would be neater if it started and asked for a device to use.

Definitely, thanks for finding this I'll fix it.

(05-10-2014 20:33)Pastim Wrote:  All in all I now have a very usable linux control point for minimserver. This in turn means I'll use that more often as well. I hope you get many more users and get to a point where it's a fully supported ubuntu application. It's already miles better than anything else I have tried Smile

That's a start anyway Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2014, 21:24
(05-10-2014 20:48)medoc92 Wrote:  for libqtwebkit, you need to install the libqtwebkit4 package, this is standard from the Ubuntu repositories.

upplay does not use MPD, it needs the upmpdcli installation because of a shared library which comes with upmpdcli and which is used by upplay. The shared lib contains UPnP code and has nothing to do with MPD.

There is no link betweeen upmpdcli and upplay other than they use the same library, and that the easiest way to get this library at the moment is to install upmpdcli, which will also need libmpdclient2 as a dependancy.

This is just a temporary inconvenience, and it does not mean that you need to run MPD in any way. I'll clean up the package structure (separate the library) ASAP, but upmpdcli is being integrated as the UPnP front-end for a few specialized distributions at the moment and I want to wait for this to be stabilized before I shake the tree.

To prevent upmpdcli from starting up, just delete its init file:

rm /etc/init.d/upmpdcli

Thanks! I have installed all dependencies and started upplay. It is unable to discover my renderer (a Linn Renew DS) and it is also having trouble discovering my servers. On one occasion it found one of my servers and on all other occasions it has been unable to find any servers. Is there anything I can do to solve or debug these discovery problems?
05-10-2014, 22:22
I'm happy to test releases provided they are not too frequent.

I don't know enough about the protocol to say why the Marantz doesn't do gapless, but it definitely doesn't. I have another slightly contorted solution for that. I use foobar2000 as the renderer (under wine) and use the Playback Stream Capture item to stream whatever foobar plays (to a null alsa device) to the Marantz which then just plays what it gets without any library information. Yuk.

I too have noticed I can resize the playing window if the library is hidden. Slightly odd things happen to the when I show the library again - it seems to get very wide.

I am spending the evening using this to play some music. A few odd things are happening on selection, but I'm not sure whether that's upplay or minimserver. I'll report if I can pin anything down enough to make sense.
06-10-2014, 06:13
(05-10-2014 21:24)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks! I have installed all dependencies and started upplay. It is unable to discover my renderer (a Linn Renew DS) and it is also having trouble discovering my servers. On one occasion it found one of my servers and on all other occasions it has been unable to find any servers. Is there anything I can do to solve or debug these discovery problems?

Sorry about this, I have no idea of what could cause it. I'd suspect a firewall or similar network issue, except that you did see one server once so it can't be it. Did you try upnp-inspector on the same setup ? Are you on a wired or wireless connection ? (Can't see what this would change, just groping in the dark).

jf
06-10-2014, 07:44
(06-10-2014 06:13)medoc92 Wrote:  Sorry about this, I have no idea of what could cause it. I'd suspect a firewall or similar network issue, except that you did see one server once so it can't be it. Did you try upnp-inspector on the same setup ? Are you on a wired or wireless connection ? (Can't see what this would change, just groping in the dark).

jf

The upplay Linux machine is connected wirelessly and all other devices are wired. Discovery is working well for all servers and control points on my network except upplay. I will try upnp-inspector and let you know what happens. I will also try connecting the upplay machine using a wired connection to see whether that helps.
06-10-2014, 08:22
(06-10-2014 07:44)simoncn Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 06:13)medoc92 Wrote:  Sorry about this, I have no idea of what could cause it. I'd suspect a firewall or similar network issue, except that you did see one server once so it can't be it. Did you try upnp-inspector on the same setup ? Are you on a wired or wireless connection ? (Can't see what this would change, just groping in the dark).

jf

The upplay Linux machine is connected wirelessly and all other devices are wired. Discovery is working well for all servers and control points on my network except upplay. I will try upnp-inspector and let you know what happens. I will also try connecting the upplay machine using a wired connection to see whether that helps.
I have failed to find a way of setting up an ubuntu firewall (ufw/gufw) for a renderer, other than to allow in everything from that device. Just opening port 1900 (udp) doesn't seem to be enough. This is true of all control points and renderers that I've tried. I've looked at firewall logs but failed to determine what the problem is. One of life's little mysteries....
06-10-2014, 09:17
I'm not sure if this is a feature of the latest release, but I currently can't seem to get tracks to play consecutively. It stops at the end of each track. I certainly managed to play several tracks sequentially with the previous version. Is there some option somewhere I've missed?

A nice to have would be to be able to move to any point in a track using the slider. If you try to do this the slider moves according to where you move the mouse, but then snaps back to where it was.
06-10-2014, 11:20
(06-10-2014 08:22)Pastim Wrote:  I have failed to find a way of setting up an ubuntu firewall (ufw/gufw) for a renderer, other than to allow in everything from that device. Just opening port 1900 (udp) doesn't seem to be enough. This is true of all control points and renderers that I've tried. I've looked at firewall logs but failed to determine what the problem is. One of life's little mysteries....

Are you saying that my discovery problem might be caused by having a firewall enabled? I haven't done this intentionally. Does Ubuntu enable a firewall by default?
06-10-2014, 11:39
(06-10-2014 11:20)simoncn Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 08:22)Pastim Wrote:  I have failed to find a way of setting up an ubuntu firewall (ufw/gufw) for a renderer, other than to allow in everything from that device. Just opening port 1900 (udp) doesn't seem to be enough. This is true of all control points and renderers that I've tried. I've looked at firewall logs but failed to determine what the problem is. One of life's little mysteries....

Are you saying that my discovery problem might be caused by having a firewall enabled? I haven't done this intentionally. Does Ubuntu enable a firewall by default?
In a terminal window try:
Code:
sudo ufw status
It should tell you if the firewall is enabled or not. To disable it:
Code:
sudo ufw disable
and 'enable' to turn it back on. There's a graphical version called gufw.
06-10-2014, 11:58
(06-10-2014 11:39)Pastim Wrote:  In a terminal window try:
Code:
sudo ufw status
It should tell you if the firewall is enabled or not.

Thanks! The status is inactive, so more investigation is needed.