Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice or isn"t it.
25-05-2014, 17:16
Nice or isn"t it.
Ok It seems to be a succesfull venture to install both Java and Minimserver on my synology Nas 212J. According to the log everything went wel. The configuration screen and the package center show no faults. But now what can I do with minimserver? there is no control point and neither any app to acces the files through mininserver from and at my IPad. I use Nstream now to get acces to my files and played from my Naim nd5xs media player. I was adviced to install mininserver on my Nass to get a better SQ then the Audiostation installed on the Nas. Audiostation is by Synology itself.

I have no cleu how to proceed and see no use for miniserver at the moment.

Hellup

Fred from Holland

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2014, 19:44
RE: Nice or isn"t it.
(25-05-2014 17:16)Fred40 Wrote:  Ok It seems to be a succesfull venture to install both Java and Minimserver on my synology Nas 212J. According to the log everything went wel. The configuration screen and the package center show no faults. But now what can I do with minimserver? there is no control point and neither any app to acces the files through mininserver from and at my IPad. I use Nstream now to get acces to my files and played from my Naim nd5xs media player. I was adviced to install mininserver on my Nass to get a better SQ then the Audiostation installed on the Nas. Audiostation is by Synology itself.

I have no cleu how to proceed and see no use for miniserver at the moment.

Hellup

Fred from Holland

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

You should be able to select MinimServer as a server in the n-Stream app on your iPad to browse and play your files.
26-05-2014, 08:23
Hi,

I really wish it did. But no. On the right side cornerom the Nstream it says UpNp but thats it . If I press on this nothing seems to happen. Choosing music files is still possible way I mean with the aid off the synology server. But I can"t choose the Minimserver.
26-05-2014, 09:54
(26-05-2014 08:23)Fred40 Wrote:  Hi,

I really wish it did. But no. On the right side cornerom the Nstream it says UpNp but thats it . If I press on this nothing seems to happen. Choosing music files is still possible way I mean with the aid off the synology server. But I can"t choose the Minimserver.

After installing MinimServer, you need to open the MinimServer status page from the DSM main menu and set the content directory. Have you done this?

To show the DSM main menu, close the Package Center and then click the small button at the top left corner of the DSM home page.
26-05-2014, 10:45 (This post was last modified: 26-05-2014 10:53 by Fred40.)
Yes I have done that. And it points in the right directory.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

26-05-2014, 12:12
Maybe it"s wise to start all over again. Btw schould I instal Java 7 or 8? In the tutorial you have to instal Java 7 but perhaps 8 is more recent and is not yet mentioned in the tutorial?
26-05-2014, 14:03
(26-05-2014 12:12)Fred40 Wrote:  Maybe it"s wise to start all over again. Btw schould I instal Java 7 or 8? In the tutorial you have to instal Java 7 but perhaps 8 is more recent and is not yet mentioned in the tutorial?

On my DS213+ both versions work. Currently I am using java 8. As long as there are no known problems I'd always recommend the latest version.

Regarding your problems with minimserver. Do you have minimwatch installed on a PC in your network? With minimwatch you can see the status of the minimserver and also update to newer versions. Also configuration (like on the fly transcoding via minimstreamer) can be set up there.

Why it is interesting to use minimserver instead of the Synology mediaserver:

* You will see covers for the album directories when browsing by folder.

* You can let transcode the music data to lpcm24. I am not sure if the difference of transcoding to lpcm or wav is better. But wav does sound better than flac on an uniti 1. Maybe because the uniti's CPU has less work to do and just handles the incoming data through straight to the DAC?

You also can configure the synology server to transcode in real time. But this is very confusing to do. Also you only can let transcode music formats that the renderer does not support. As all upnp renderer support mp3 you never can transcode mp3 to wav (as far I have found out). Because naim devices can handle many formats (like flac and ogg/vorbis, etc.) you have to set up the naim renderer as plain/dumb/generic (can't remember the exact wording) mp3-only-renderer, so all formats (except mp3) will be transcoded. But: the mediaserver does not "upscale" the music data to 24bit. This is said to enhance music quality again. But I did not check if I can hear this difference.

* A big plus for minimserver is that it supports upnp query. So you can search through the whole library (e.g. with the android BubbleUPnP app). Also you can add some random tracks from the whole library into the playlist with bubbleUPnP.

The only downside for me with minimserver is that it lacks ogg/vorbis support. So I have to switch between the two servers depending of the music I want to listen to. Also sometimes it takes a little bit longer until minimserver does show up as upnp server in bubble-upnp. I have tried BubbleUPnP-Server as a proxy for minimserver to work around this, but it did not help.

Greetings
Gert
26-05-2014, 14:57
(26-05-2014 12:12)Fred40 Wrote:  Maybe it"s wise to start all over again. Btw schould I instal Java 7 or 8? In the tutorial you have to instal Java 7 but perhaps 8 is more recent and is not yet mentioned in the tutorial?

The screenshots look fine and there's no need to start again. The problem must be at the control point end. It could be a UPnP discovery issue related to your network setup. Try powering the control point off and on to see whether that makes a difference.

Either Java 7 or Java 8 is fine. If you have Java 7 installed, there's no need to change to Java 8.
26-05-2014, 16:02
Sorry but I do not seem te have a controlpoint ?

Gert

I did not install minimwatch because it doesn"t work either. On a given point it says that I have to extract a Tar bestand ( I dont no the English word for it) but where to find this is not clear. It is directing me to the app store were I shoould download a program to open this TAR. Tried four but to no avail.
26-05-2014, 16:10
(26-05-2014 16:02)Fred40 Wrote:  Sorry but I do not seem te have a controlpoint ?

The control point is the n-Stream application running on your iPad. Power off the iPad, power it on again, and start the n-Stream application. If MinimServer is not found immediately, leave n-Stream running for 30 minutes to see whether it appears in n-Stream.

Quote:I did not install minimwatch because it doesn"t work either. On a given point it says that I have to extract a Tar bestand ( I dont no the English word for it) but where to find this is not clear. It is directing me to the app store were I shoould download a program to open this TAR. Tried four but to no avail.

You need to install MinimWatch on a Windows PC or a Mac. To install it on a Windows PC, see this page. To install it on a Mac, see this page.