Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop Renderer?
24-05-2014, 18:49
RE: Laptop Renderer?
(24-05-2014 18:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-05-2014 17:56)gnomus Wrote:  It doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can you run a MinimServer trace for a track that doesn't play? This might provide more information. Please do the following:

1) Browse to the track you want to play
2) In the MinimServer log window, set the logging level to Trace
3) Leave the log window open
4) Attempt to play the track
5) After 15 seconds, click 'Save as' in the log window to save the log file
6) In the MinimServer log window, set the logging level back to Info
7) Zip the saved log file and attach it to a post here

One log file, as requested

Attached File(s)
.txt  logfile.txt (Size: 3.42 KB / Downloads: 2)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2014, 19:03
Tried installing Renaissance on my laptop. Getting the same behaviour. Here is the log file for the laptop - trying to get music from the QNAP NAS this time.

Attached File(s)
.txt  logfile2.txt (Size: 2.57 KB / Downloads: 4)
24-05-2014, 19:59
It looks like Renaissance can't cope with track URLs that are longer than about 240 characters. This isn't related to the length (playing time) of the track.

You could investigate foobar2000 as an alternative UPnP renderer for Windows. You will need to install the foo_upnp plugin. Be prepared for frustation and confusion with trying to make this work; I have never been able to master it fully.
24-05-2014, 20:50
(24-05-2014 19:59)simoncn Wrote:  ...
You could investigate foobar2000 as an alternative UPnP renderer for Windows. You will need to install the foo_upnp plugin. Be prepared for frustation and confusion with trying to make this work; I have never been able to master it fully.

That does not sound promising!!! I'll maybe have a look over the next few days....
24-05-2014, 21:09 (This post was last modified: 24-05-2014 21:11 by simoncn.)
(24-05-2014 20:50)gnomus Wrote:  That does not sound promising!!! I'll maybe have a look over the next few days....

I created a URL that was too long for Renaissance. It played successfully in the foobar2000 UPnP renderer, so this seems to be the best solution. If you need any help with setting this up, I should be able to help as I now have this working.
24-05-2014, 21:16
(24-05-2014 21:09)simoncn Wrote:  I created a URL that was too long for Renaissance. It played successfully in the foobar2000 UPnP renderer, so this seems to be the best solution. If you need any help with setting this up, I should be able to help as I now have this working.

Perhaps I spoke too soon. Using Kinsky as the control point, the foobar2000 UPnP renderer plays a single track and then stops. You need to manually click on the next track in the Kinsky playlist to get the track to start playing.
25-05-2014, 05:02 (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 05:05 by gnomus.)
(24-05-2014 19:59)simoncn Wrote:  It looks like Renaissance can't cope with track URLs that are longer than about 240 characters. This isn't related to the length (playing time) of the track.

Simon

Thanks for continuing to look into this. I am sure you are right about the long URL...but...

... if that is the case then why does Pink Floyd's 'Pigs on the Wing' (1 min 25 secs) play quite happily, whereas the next track on the same album, in the same folder, and with the shorter title - 'Dogs' (17 mins 05 secs), does not?

Also, the Schubert Winterreise track (1 min 50 secs) plays at: "\\DISKSTATION\Synology\Classical Music\Schubert, Franz\Schubert - Lieder; Winterreise [Fischer-Dieskau (baritone), Moore, Gerald (piano) - 1972]\02Die Wetterfahne.flac"; whereas the aforementioned Dogs does not play at: "\\DISKSTATION\Synology\Music\Pink Floyd\Animals\02Dogs.flac"
25-05-2014, 09:44
(25-05-2014 05:02)gnomus Wrote:  Simon

Thanks for continuing to look into this. I am sure you are right about the long URL...but...

... if that is the case then why does Pink Floyd's 'Pigs on the Wing' (1 min 25 secs) play quite happily, whereas the next track on the same album, in the same folder, and with the shorter title - 'Dogs' (17 mins 05 secs), does not?

Also, the Schubert Winterreise track (1 min 50 secs) plays at: "\\DISKSTATION\Synology\Classical Music\Schubert, Franz\Schubert - Lieder; Winterreise [Fischer-Dieskau (baritone), Moore, Gerald (piano) - 1972]\02Die Wetterfahne.flac"; whereas the aforementioned Dogs does not play at: "\\DISKSTATION\Synology\Music\Pink Floyd\Animals\02Dogs.flac"

Please post a trace log for one of the tracks with a short URL that doesn't play.
26-05-2014, 09:39 (This post was last modified: 26-05-2014 09:40 by gnomus.)
(25-05-2014 09:44)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 05:02)gnomus Wrote:  Simon

Please post a trace log for one of the tracks with a short URL that doesn't play.

No can do. Try as I might, I cannot replicate Saturday's issue with the Pink Floyd track. It now plays every time. Looks like the issue is a long-URL one.

I finished ripping all my CDs yesterday and I cannot go through that again!!! Perhaps, once I create the MP3 library, I'll try to get it to play through iTunes or something similar.

Sorry for wasting your time with the (it seems temporary) Pink Floyd red herring.
26-05-2014, 10:06
(26-05-2014 09:39)gnomus Wrote:  No can do. Try as I might, I cannot replicate Saturday's issue with the Pink Floyd track. It now plays every time. Looks like the issue is a long-URL one.

I finished ripping all my CDs yesterday and I cannot go through that again!!! Perhaps, once I create the MP3 library, I'll try to get it to play through iTunes or something similar.

Sorry for wasting your time with the (it seems temporary) Pink Floyd red herring.

I have posted to the dBpoweramp forum reporting this problem with Renaissance. I'll let you know if there is a reply.