Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iTunes and MinimServer - tracks & albums being randomly moved to "rogue" sub-folders
20-05-2014, 20:05
iTunes and MinimServer - tracks & albums being randomly moved to "rogue" sub-folders
This is a new issue which I discovered when solving the duplicate/deleted albums on this thread http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...479&page=2

Essentially, there appears to be some mis-interaction between iTunes and MinimServer such that:

1. One or more rogue sub-folders will be randomly created under Album A.

2. Under the rogue sub-folder, there will be some tracks or, more recently, entire album tracks from, say, Album B.

3. In some cases, Album A will have multiple sub-folders, each containing entire album tracks from Albums B, D, G, etc.

4. In a worse case scenario, the tracks from Album C will be split into sub-folders within, say, Albums G and A.

Part of the beauty, I guess, of the Intelligent Browsing function of the MinimServer is that, for split sub-folders, Album C will still, in most cases, appear in its entirety in Lumin or Kinsky but displayed as split/duplicate albums. So, tracks 1-5 will appear under one version of Album C and the remaining tracks under another version of Album C.

With the Lumin/Kinsky apps, the split is ungainly but one can still play all tracks albeit not sequentially.

With iTunes, however, only part of the split album appears. In the example above, perhaps tracks 1-5 of Album C will be listed under Album C but not the remaining tracks.

In some cases, the tracks will be listed but, when selected, iTunes will indicate that it is unable to locate the track. I will then have to manually point iTunes to the track in the rogue sub-folder. Once all the tracks have been mapped/located in this manner, the rogue sub-folder also disappears (or rather now properly appears as the folder for Album C).

There are also situations where the rogue sub-folder list all the tracks in the album but iTunes only displays part of the tracks (say, 1, 5, 8). I then have to, under iTunes, manually add the missing tracks to the library by clicking on the relevant tracks in the rogue sub-folder to add to the library of the album.

The above behaviour is rather unpredictable. I can, say, be locating the missing tracks in Album C by pointing iTunes to the rogue sub-folder to complete the album, only to discover that, after making whole the tracks in Album C, new rogue sub-folders have been created under Album C (or possibly under another album) and the same nightmare curating/editing process starts all over again.

Or, I could be editing the metadata for Album D, for example, by changing the "Album Artist" tag to "Suzanne Vega". Out of the blue, other random albums (unrelated to Suzanne Vega) appear, with random track(s) within the album amended to show Suzanne Vega as the album artist. I then have to manually delete Suzanne Vega from the album artist tag for each such track or it will wreak havoc.

This unpredictability is rather frustrating. Just when I think I am left with the last few albums to rectify, more "problem" albums are created.

Would really welcome suggestions on:

1. what I am doing wrong and how I can prevent iTunes/MinimServer from randomly creating rogue sub-folders and moving tracks and/or albums into the rogue sub-folders?

2. the best way to rectify the errors instead of having to manually point iTunes to the tracks in the rogue sub-folder and/or add tracks from the rogue sub-folder to the library of the affected album?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2014, 21:24 (This post was last modified: 20-05-2014 21:26 by simoncn.)
RE: iTunes and MinimServer - tracks & albums being randomly moved to "rogue&q...
(20-05-2014 20:05)nfnc Wrote:  Would really welcome suggestions on:

1. what I am doing wrong and how I can prevent iTunes/MinimServer from randomly creating rogue sub-folders and moving tracks and/or albums into the rogue sub-folders?

2. the best way to rectify the errors instead of having to manually point iTunes to the tracks in the rogue sub-folder and/or add tracks from the rogue sub-folder to the library of the affected album?

Thanks in advance.

MinimServer doesn't create any folders, so this problem isn't caused by MinimServer.

I'm not an iTunes user. However, I'd be very surprised if iTunes is creating the structure you describe. I know iTunes likes to split tracks into per-artist folders at the top level (which can cause an album with tracks by different artists to be spread across multiple folders), but this isn't what you are describing.

In my experience, what you are describing is probably the result of the disk filesystem becoming corrupted. Do you have an older backup that you can use to restore the original correct folder structure? If so, I suggest you reformat the disk and restore this backup to the reformatted disk.
21-05-2014, 18:37
RE: iTunes and MinimServer - tracks & albums being randomly moved to "rogue&q...
Many thanks, Simon.

No backup, unfortunately. I will ask the NAS/HDD vendor to help me troubleshoot.
21-05-2014, 19:02
(21-05-2014 18:37)nfnc Wrote:  Many thanks, Simon.

No backup, unfortunately. I will ask the NAS/HDD vendor to help me troubleshoot.

From your first post to the forum:

There are some albums which were "lost" in the process of transferring my library from the Mac to the NAS using Tunespan.

This suggests to me that Tunespan might be the cause of the problem.

Do you still have the original Mac files?

You might want to contact Tunespan about this as well as the NAS/HDD vendor.
23-05-2014, 20:47
(21-05-2014 19:02)simoncn Wrote:  From your first post to the forum:

There are some albums which were "lost" in the process of transferring my library from the Mac to the NAS using Tunespan.

This suggests to me that Tunespan might be the cause of the problem.

Do you still have the original Mac files?

You might want to contact Tunespan about this as well as the NAS/HDD vendor.

Absolutely fantastic Smile suggestion to check the original Mac files! Forgot that I had been using Time Machine to backup my files before the transfer of the music library to the NAS as I was running out of disk space on the Mac and was preparing to move to the Lumin.

All of the albums pre-transfer to the NAS have been backed up. Most of the issues I am facing now relate to these pre-NAS albums which were transferred using TuneSpan. Will have to check if the issues were caused by TuneSpan.

So, it would now be a rather tedious process of manually deleting the "problematic" albums using iTunes, cleaning up any so-called "alias" / duplicate files and either re-ripping the CD or importing the album to the library from the backup files. This workflow seems to work. Unfortunately, iTunes indicates the existence of about 1,400 "duplicate" tracks Sad

I am glad that the intelligent browser feature exists. It helps to identify duplicate/rogue tracks (which are or may not be displayed in iTunes but appear in Lumin/Kinsky) which I can then locate using Finder on the Mac to zap.

Post-NAS rips appear to be fine, so far.

The problem may lie in how iTunes manages the database in the music library. Have searched online and what I have experienced in terms of missing or duplicate files/tracks are not unique to my situation. Changing a tag in an album can occassionally result in iTunes adding that tag to unrelated albums. Fortunately, that can be corrected on the spot although it is impossible to predict if time bombs have been created in other albums.

Will see if Doug's AppleScripts can help.

Once again, thank you for following up on issues which do not pertain to or are caused by MinimServer.