Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDCD CDs and transcoding
21-08-2021, 15:41
RE: HDCD CDs and transcoding
(21-08-2021 11:58)simoncn Wrote:  I believe your assumptions are all correct. It isn't a problem if your HDCD files contain ReplayGain tags. Any such value should be combined with what the HDCD filter does, as you said in your post.

Thanks Simon
When I change to convOut=-af "hdcd, volume=replaygain=track" I'm getting 'option incorrect for converter'.
It will accept -af hdcd on it's own.

I've got latest version of MServer and MStreamer. I've also updated Raspian Buster lite which I believe has ffmpeg pre-installed
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2021, 16:28
I have tried a few combinations and it seems the hdcd filter cannot be combined with any other filter. I don't know why.
22-08-2021, 16:00
After further investigation, the hdcd filter forces automatic resampling to be disabled and this is the cause of the error. To work around this, you need to add manual resampling of the filter outputs by doing this:

convOut=-af "hdcd, aresample, volume=replaygain=track, aresample"
28-08-2021, 17:57
(22-08-2021 16:00)simoncn Wrote:  After further investigation, the hdcd filter forces automatic resampling to be disabled and this is the cause of the error. To work around this, you need to add manual resampling of the filter outputs by doing this:

convOut=-af "hdcd, aresample, volume=replaygain=track, aresample"

Thanks for taking time to carry out further investigations and for providing the convOut command, especially as this is probably a minority use case!

The handful of albums I have with HDCD logo have album Replaygain values between -3dB and -6bB. As the HDCD filter is applying 6dB reduction I was thinking of removing Replaygain tags from the HDCD files as a further reduction shouldn’t be needed.
28-08-2021, 18:19
Yes, this makes sense.