Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDCD CDs and transcoding
04-02-2020, 01:57
RE: HDCD CDs and transcoding
Hi,

I just recently ripped some HDCD CDs and I was looking in the forum to find if HDCD could be enabled in MinimServer and found this thread.

I tried what Simon is recommending: In the stream.options property, add the option "convOut=-af hdcd" to enable the FFmpeg hdcd filter.

When I do so I get this message : 'convOut' option incorrect for converter.

I'm running MinimServer on a Synology NAS (DSM 6.2.).
Ministreamer options I'm using are:
stream.converter = ffmpeg
stream.transcode = flac:wav24;, alac:wav24;, mp3:wav24;, aac:wav24;, mp4:wav24;

Anyone has and idea what's wrong?

Thank you
Jean-Fran├žois
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2020, 09:59
I think the version of FFmpeg that is included in Synology DSM is too old to support the hdcd filter. There is a newer version available for download from the SynoCommunity repository. After installing this, you might need to update the stream.converter property to point to the correct location for the later version of FFmpeg. I am away from home at present, so I can't verify the correct setting.
06-02-2020, 04:08
Hi Simon, I took a rush course of SSH and was able to find the executable for the ffmpeg i've downloaded as per your instruction. I put this in the stream.converter line: /volume1/@appstore/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg and was able to have the convOut working. Could leaving the hdcd option there have some negative impacts on the rest of the non hdcd music?

Thanks a lot for you help,
Jean-Fran├žois
06-02-2020, 09:04
Yes, it does have negative aspects as discussed in the other thread. Unfortunately, I think this means it is not a practical option for most people.
07-02-2020, 17:45
(04-02-2020 09:59)simoncn Wrote:  I think the version of FFmpeg that is included in Synology DSM is too old to support the hdcd filter. There is a newer version available for download from the SynoCommunity repository. After installing this, you might need to update the stream.converter property to point to the correct location for the later version of FFmpeg. I am away from home at present, so I can't verify the correct setting.

I usually download ffmpeg from https://www.johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

And it works on my synology.

Is there a difference between this ffmpeg and the synocommunity one ?
07-02-2020, 17:48
(12-07-2019 02:11)GreenMtnGringo Wrote:  I am back to ripping HDCDs to 24-bit FLAC files with dBpoweramp. In my system, the ffmpeg HDCD decoder seems to decrease the volume of even non-HDCD FLAC rips, and rather dramatically so.

Forgive my naive question, but which hardware are you using for ripping HDCD ?

I had the feeling that standard cd player which you connect to a computer can only read the standard CD layer of a disk, and no other.

I am lucky to own a oppo, therefore I can now rip my sacd. But I have a DSD album, and I don't know how to extract the dsd file. So I thought same with a HDCD ?
07-02-2020, 18:23
Hi, The CD's i've ripped with EAC had a "hdcd" logo on the label. These are standard CDs with a special encoding supposed to give an enhanced sound quality. They rip just like any other CDs (16/44100).

JF