Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Index when sorting by last name
16-05-2014, 15:54
Index when sorting by last name
Hi,

I like to sort my artists by last name. So I added the AlbumArtistSort tag to my music library (e.g. AlbumArtist = Paul Simon, AlbumArtistSort = Simon, Paul).
By setting tagValue AlbumArtist.value.sort={AlbumArtistSort} everything is sorted as I like Smile
But unfortunately there is a little side effect: Before I made these changes BubbleUPnP showed when scrolling a little popup with the letter where I am at the moment. That does not work any more. And worse: When I want to select an artist by the the remote control of my Naim NDX now I have to scroll all through the library using the "arrow down button". Before I could use the number pad to address the first letter of the artist (like writing SMS on an old phone). That kind of indexing does not work any more.

Maybe someone has an idea of how to solve this? That would be great! I hope I could explain my problem which is not so easily in a foreign language Blush

Thanks and best wishes from Germany,

Volker
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2014, 16:41 (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 16:44 by simoncn.)
RE: Index when sorting by last name
(16-05-2014 15:54)muesli Wrote:  Hi,

I like to sort my artists by last name. So I added the AlbumArtistSort tag to my music library (e.g. AlbumArtist = Paul Simon, AlbumArtistSort = Simon, Paul).
By setting tagValue AlbumArtist.value.sort={AlbumArtistSort} everything is sorted as I like Smile
But unfortunately there is a little side effect: Before I made these changes BubbleUPnP showed when scrolling a little popup with the letter where I am at the moment. That does not work any more. And worse: When I want to select an artist by the the remote control of my Naim NDX now I have to scroll all through the library using the "arrow down button". Before I could use the number pad to address the first letter of the artist (like writing SMS on an old phone). That kind of indexing does not work any more.

Maybe someone has an idea of how to solve this? That would be great! I hope I could explain my problem which is not so easily in a foreign language Blush

Thanks and best wishes from Germany,

Volker

This seems reasonable behaviour because the control point doesn't know that Paul Simon and Ringo Starr (for example) belong together in the "S" section. You can confirm this by asking about it on the BubbleUPnP and Naim forums.

for a workaround, you could try setting AlbumArtist.value.sort.index={AlbumArtistSort} instead of AlbumArtist.value.sort={AlbumArtistSort}. This will show the name in the index as Simon, Paul. You will still see Paul Simon on the Now Playing screen and in playlists.

An alternative solution is to use alphaGroup in MinimServer to create a subfolder for each initial letter.
16-05-2014, 20:52
RE: Index when sorting by last name
Hello Simon,

thank you for your reply! I tried AlbumArtist.value.sort.index={AlbumArtistSort} and it is a very good compromise of usability and my preferred sort order Smile
Thank you again and keep your great work on!

Best wishes, Volker