Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't configure Minimserver
15-09-2012, 02:25
Can't configure Minimserver
Hi

Just tried installing Minimserver on a QNAP 409 to replace Twonky. I think I have installed the package correctly (ARM), by following the instructions and enabling the package. No error in system logs.

I presume there are no issues with running Twonky and Minimserver on the same box?

My music is on a different directory structure on the public directory of the nas i.e. not multimedia. I don't want to move it, I would prefer to configure to read from the current file structure.

Two problems:
1. Control points (plugplayer, kinsky, nstream) don't show Minimserver as a upnp server?
2. I've installed Minimwatch on mac and windows; both display as greyed icons. I can't therefore access the server to configure.

I thought I was getting close....any ideas / help please?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2012, 09:09
RE: Can't configure Minimserver
(15-09-2012 02:25)rankinnz Wrote:  Hi

Just tried installing Minimserver on a QNAP 409 to replace Twonky. I think I have installed the package correctly (ARM), by following the instructions and enabling the package. No error in system logs.

What do you see in the system log? You should see something like the following:

2012-07-27 22:40:56 admin 192.168.0.14 --- [QPKG Center] MinimServer enabled.
2012-07-27 22:40:32 System 127.0.0.1 localhost MinimServer 0.52 has been installed in /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer.

Quote:I presume there are no issues with running Twonky and Minimserver on the same box?

There have been reports of problems like this from people running Twonky 5.x. It's fine if you're on recent version such as 6.0.38 or 6.0.39. If you're running Twonky 5.x, you could try disabling Twonky to see if this makes a difference.

Quote:My music is on a different directory structure on the public directory of the nas i.e. not multimedia. I don't want to move it, I would prefer to configure to read from the current file structure.

This might be related to the problem. Do you have a /share/Multimedia or /share/Qmultimedia folder? The MinimServer QPKG assumes that one of these will exist. It's fine if the folder exists and is empty.

If you have removed this folder, MinimServer should still start and appear in MinimWatch (with a red icon for the error), but it won't show up in control points.

Quote:Two problems:
1. Control points (plugplayer, kinsky, nstream) don't show Minimserver as a upnp server?
2. I've installed Minimwatch on mac and windows; both display as greyed icons. I can't therefore access the server to configure.

Please look at the contents of the minimserver.log file in the MinimServer installation directory (see the system log message for the location of this directory). Does this file exist, and does it contain any error messages?
18-09-2012, 09:02
(15-09-2012 09:09)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-09-2012 02:25)rankinnz Wrote:  Hi

What do you see in the system log? You should see something like the following:

2012-07-27 22:40:56 admin 192.168.0.14 --- [QPKG Center] MinimServer enabled.
2012-07-27 22:40:32 System 127.0.0.1 localhost MinimServer 0.52 has been installed in /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer.

Quote:I presume there are no issues with running Twonky and Minimserver on the same box?

There have been reports of problems like this from people running Twonky 5.x. It's fine if you're on recent version such as 6.0.38 or 6.0.39. If you're running Twonky 5.x, you could try disabling Twonky to see if this makes a difference.

Quote:My music is on a different directory structure on the public directory of the nas i.e. not multimedia. I don't want to move it, I would prefer to configure to read from the current file structure.

This might be related to the problem. Do you have a /share/Multimedia or /share/Qmultimedia folder? The MinimServer QPKG assumes that one of these will exist. It's fine if the folder exists and is empty.

If you have removed this folder, MinimServer should still start and appear in MinimWatch (with a red icon for the error), but it won't show up in control points.

Quote:Two problems:

Please look at the contents of the minimserver.log file in the MinimServer installation directory (see the system log message for the location of this directory). Does this file exist, and does it contain any error messages?
I've got a bit further, it was my mistake, I didn't quite follow the instructions! I now have JRE and MinimServer installed and enabled on the Qnap. Neither shows an error in the log file. I can see MinimServer via plug player, Kinsky and using nStream only if I switch to upnp compatibility mode. However I still can't access via Minimwatch to configure? My music files are on the server but not in multimedia, I therefore want to re-point to the directories. I copied one album to test it. I've tried the app from windows and mac but no success as yet?
Any info re nStream would be appreciated as I mainly use Naim kit.
Thanks.
18-09-2012, 09:31
(18-09-2012 09:02)rankinnz Wrote:  I've got a bit further, it was my mistake, I didn't quite follow the instructions! I now have JRE and MinimServer installed and enabled on the Qnap. Neither shows an error in the log file. I can see MinimServer via plug player, Kinsky and using nStream only if I switch to upnp compatibility mode. However I still can't access via Minimwatch to configure? My music files are on the server but not in multimedia, I therefore want to re-point to the directories. I copied one album to test it. I've tried the app from windows and mac but no success as yet?
Thanks.

If MinimWatch can't find MinimServer, this could be a firewall issue on the machine that's running MinimWatch. You can verify this by temporarily disabling the firewall. If this allows MinimServer to work, you need to configure the firewall to allow MinimWatch to accept incoming connections.

If it isn't a firewall issue, there could be a problem with your network setup. As a test, please try running Kinsky on the same Windows or Mac machine that you're using to run MinimWatch, and select the Library page in Kinsky. Then do the following:

1) Disable MinimServer in the QNAP administrative console. You should see MinimServer disappear from the Kinsky Library page.
2) Enable MinimServer in the QNAP administrative console. You should see MinimServer appear in the Kinsky Library page and also in MinimWatch.

Please post the results from 1) and 2) here.

I'm unable to help with information about n-Stream as I don't have any Naim equipment. I had a quick look at the n-Stream web page and it seems that n-Stream can only stream music to a Naim player. Are you having problems using n-Stream with MinimServer? If so, can you describe what the problems are?
18-09-2012, 11:09
(18-09-2012 09:31)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 09:02)rankinnz Wrote:  I've got a bit further, it was my mistake, I didn't quite follow the instructions! I now have JRE and MinimServer installed and enabled on the Qnap. Neither shows an error in the log file. I can see MinimServer via plug player, Kinsky and using nStream only if I switch to upnp compatibility mode. However I still can't access via Minimwatch to configure? My music files are on the server but not in multimedia, I therefore want to re-point to the directories. I copied one album to test it. I've tried the app from windows and mac but no success as yet?
Thanks.

If MinimWatch can't find MinimServer, this could be a firewall issue on the machine that's running MinimWatch. You can verify this by temporarily disabling the firewall. If this allows MinimServer to work, you need to configure the firewall to allow MinimWatch to accept incoming connections.

If it isn't a firewall issue, there could be a problem with your network setup. As a test, please try running Kinsky on the same Windows or Mac machine that you're using to run MinimWatch, and select the Library page in Kinsky. Then do the following:

1) Disable MinimServer in the QNAP administrative console. You should see MinimServer disappear from the Kinsky Library page.
2) Enable MinimServer in the QNAP administrative console. You should see MinimServer appear in the Kinsky Library page and also in MinimWatch.

Please post the results from 1) and 2) here.

I'm unable to help with information about n-Stream as I don't have any Naim equipment. I had a quick look at the n-Stream web page and it seems that n-Stream can only stream music to a Naim player. Are you having problems using n-Stream with MinimServer? If so, can you describe what the problems are?
Thanks for the prompt reply!
I disabled the windows firewall, but no change to Minimwatch I.e. still grey. Installed Kinsky on windows and server appears. Disabled and it disappears, enabled and it reappears, but still no change to Minimwatch. Added it to firewall on mac, appears in the dock, but don't know how it works as there are no options in the dock item?
So the server is running, I just can't configure it.

Re nstream it works in the same way as Kinsky and plug player only if I have 'upnp compatibility mode' set which seems to be an option that is slower with less features available ie no playlists or queues. Can't really find too much on the naim site that is explicit about what it is. Only got one album loaded, so can't really test it as yet.
18-09-2012, 11:25
Just about to switch my mac off (night time here) and found Minimwatch in the top bar, active - hadn't spotted it, I was looking for options on the dock menu item! So I have set the folder to look at my music and restarted, so making progress. Noticed in the logs there was an issue with the cd I had moved; I'll check tomorrow and see what the results are.

Thanks for your help
18-09-2012, 11:50
(18-09-2012 11:25)rankinnz Wrote:  Just about to switch my mac off (night time here) and found Minimwatch in the top bar, active - hadn't spotted it, I was looking for options on the dock menu item! So I have set the folder to look at my music and restarted, so making progress. Noticed in the logs there was an issue with the cd I had moved; I'll check tomorrow and see what the results are.

Thanks for your help

I'm glad you're making progress. The minim icon in the menu bar can be surprising for Mac users.

I'm not sure why MinimWatch is working on the Mac but not on Windows. Another test you could try is to start MinimServer on the QNAP and MinimWatch on Windows, then select Refresh from the grey MinimWatch icon. Does this help?

How are the Mac and Windows machines connected to your network? Do they have wired or wireless connections?

Regarding n-Stream, I think it has a proprietary mode for talking to Naim servers and a UPnP mode (with more limited features) for talking to non-Naim servers. I haven't been able to find any documentation that makes this clear or lists what features are available in these modes.

If there are limitations when using MinimServer with n-Stream, I'd expect them to also apply when using Twonky (or any other UPnP server). If you find things that don't work with MinimServer but do work with Twonky, I'd be very interested to hear what those are.
20-09-2012, 09:52
Just got back to looking at this. As I mentioned Minimserver does work in a limited fashion in nStream but only with upnp compatibility mode set. No art work appears. Tried using kinsky and plugplayer and they both seem to work with artwork and all the sorting. Just been using the system for half an hour or so and then Minimserver crashed with an error. Did a Restart and then got the same error - "MinimServer internal error: comparison failed for folder indexes 935 and 915" (last few lines in log file are "Warning: conflicting ALBUMARTIST values for file Medium Quality/Barb Jungr/Every Grain of Sand/15 - Every Grain of Sand.flac
first conflicting value: Barb Jungr
second conflicting value: Bob Dylan
MinimServer:RankinNAS is running
MinimServer internal error: comparison failed for folder indexes 935 and 915".

Any ideas?
20-09-2012, 10:24
(20-09-2012 09:52)rankinnz Wrote:  Just got back to looking at this. As I mentioned Minimserver does work in a limited fashion in nStream but only with upnp compatibility mode set. No art work appears. Tried using kinsky and plugplayer and they both seem to work with artwork and all the sorting. Just been using the system for half an hour or so and then Minimserver crashed with an error. Did a Restart and then got the same error - "MinimServer internal error: comparison failed for folder indexes 935 and 915" (last few lines in log file are "Warning: conflicting ALBUMARTIST values for file Medium Quality/Barb Jungr/Every Grain of Sand/15 - Every Grain of Sand.flac
first conflicting value: Barb Jungr
second conflicting value: Bob Dylan
MinimServer:RankinNAS is running
MinimServer internal error: comparison failed for folder indexes 935 and 915".

Any ideas?

Thanks for reporting this.

The crash (internal error) isn't related to the previous warning message. I think I know what's causing the crash, and I'll fix it in the next release. Would you like to try a test build to confirm that the fix solves the crash problem?
20-09-2012, 21:38
Yep, if you let me know what to do. In terms of me using the server, is this a general problem or more specific to a folder I have?