Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Java MediaPlayer
02-06-2015, 18:27
RE: Java MediaPlayer
Pete,

This looks like an assume piece of software. I am in the process of retagging my mostly classical music collection for use with minimServer. Eventually I plan on buying a raspberry pi with a compatible DAC to use as a renderer on my main system. I believe this app is perfectly suited for this use. However, in the mean time I would like to replace use of iTunes on the mac computers in my home. I have searched for a software renderer for OS X without luck. I believe the only option is plug player, which is not fully compatible with minimserver. Is it possible to install your program on OS X as a software render? It is based on java so I think the only issue would be other dependencies. I hope this is possible. Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2015, 12:28
(02-06-2015 18:27)MRA45 Wrote:  Pete,

This looks like an assume piece of software. I am in the process of retagging my mostly classical music collection for use with minimServer. Eventually I plan on buying a raspberry pi with a compatible DAC to use as a renderer on my main system. I believe this app is perfectly suited for this use. However, in the mean time I would like to replace use of iTunes on the mac computers in my home. I have searched for a software renderer for OS X without luck. I believe the only option is plug player, which is not fully compatible with minimserver. Is it possible to install your program on OS X as a software render? It is based on java so I think the only issue would be other dependencies. I hope this is possible. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I'm not sure, I know someone did try this in the past but I'm not sure of the result.

The dependencies for MediaPlayer are :

Java JRE
Either MPD or MPlayer to be installed
And the OpenHome ohnet libraries to be compatible with OSX (which I think they are)

I will try to check with the person who was testing with OSX, unfortunately I have no way to test on OSX, but in the meantime if you want to test yourself and let me know the results.

Thanks,

Pete.
12-01-2016, 12:41
Since last christmas I play around with RaspberryPi, a HifiBerry DAC+ Pro and a RPi 7" Touchscreen to build a Audio client solution similar to the old Squeezebox Touch.

Out of the box you can find solutions like Max2Play - M2P gives me all I want including support for HifiBerry and the Touchscreen. But this solution is not Upnp based, it is based on Squeezelite and the Logitech Media Server.

Is there a similar RPi solution based on Upnp so I can use MinimServer? Maybe Java Mediaplayer on a RPi could be a base for such a solution - but I want a solution with a user interface based on the RPi Touchscreen (no additional control points like apps on Tablets or Smartphones because I already have the Touchscreen).
Can a Mediaplayer solution be extended e.g. by a control point software on the RPi on top of Mediaplayer?

Regards Rainer
19-02-2016, 15:11
(12-01-2016 12:41)bruemmer Wrote:  Since last christmas I play around with RaspberryPi, a HifiBerry DAC+ Pro and a RPi 7" Touchscreen to build a Audio client solution similar to the old Squeezebox Touch.

Out of the box you can find solutions like Max2Play - M2P gives me all I want including support for HifiBerry and the Touchscreen. But this solution is not Upnp based, it is based on Squeezelite and the Logitech Media Server.

Is there a similar RPi solution based on Upnp so I can use MinimServer? Maybe Java Mediaplayer on a RPi could be a base for such a solution - but I want a solution with a user interface based on the RPi Touchscreen (no additional control points like apps on Tablets or Smartphones because I already have the Touchscreen).
Can a Mediaplayer solution be extended e.g. by a control point software on the RPi on top of Mediaplayer?

Regards Rainer

I have Max2Play, Minimserver, Java Mediaplayer, plus BubbleUpNp server. Originally I ran them all on the original 256 mb Raspberry Pi. Now I have split them on two Pi's. The servers on a Banana Pi, and the players on a Raspberry Pi 2. I control the Java Mediaplayer with both BubbleUPnP player and BubbleDS player on my phone. With the latter you also get the radio stations. But you get Tidal etc. only with BubbleUPnP player, or from Logitech Media Server/Squeezelite. I use Kodi both for videos and for 5.1 audio files. With the BubbleUPnP server I have access to my music from wherever I am with an Internet connection. So I have a quite complete media solution.
21-02-2016, 10:24
I have found a simple solution for my problem:
in Max2Play I have installed Logitech Media Server (LMS) and Squeezelite. I upgraded LMS from version 7.8 to the version 7.9 (still "beta version" but very stable) and voila ... there is a menu item "remote music libraries" which lists all available Upnp/DLNA servers in my LAN and gives me access to these servers (with all of their functionalities). So I don't need DLNA-clients like Java Mediaplayer or others, Squeezelite/LMS is sufficient in my case. Max2Play provides me the best of both worlds (Upnp/DLNA and LMS infrastructure) out of the box.

As long as I do only have one Raspberry Pi in my home the RPI will run Squeezelite and LMS. If there will be additional RPis in my home in the future, LMS will be transferred to my dedicated Linux server where my music database is stored and where MinimServer is running.

Rainer