Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total Newbie - Apologies in Advance
24-04-2014, 10:46
RE: Total Newbie - Apologies in Advance
(24-04-2014 10:32)gnomus Wrote:  I believe that the Sonos can only play 16-bit files.

In that case, you could transcode to WAV for network testing. This would use more network bandwidth than nontranscoded FLAC.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2014, 10:53
(24-04-2014 10:46)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 10:32)gnomus Wrote:  I believe that the Sonos can only play 16-bit files.

In that case, you could transcode to WAV for network testing. This would use more network bandwidth than nontranscoded FLAC.

Yes, I'm already set to FLAC:WAV, and (just to be sure) it is WAV that is shown as playing in the CP.
25-04-2014, 09:18
(24-04-2014 10:53)gnomus Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 10:46)simoncn Wrote:  

Yes, I'm already set to FLAC:WAV, and (just to be sure) it is WAV that is shown as playing in the CP.

I figured that the only way to test this further was to get a DS. I'm now playing FLAC transcoded to WAV24. The Homeplugs are still showing Green/Yellow.
25-04-2014, 10:27
(25-04-2014 09:18)gnomus Wrote:  I figured that the only way to test this further was to get a DS. I'm now playing FLAC transcoded to WAV24. The Homeplugs are still showing Green/Yellow.

OK, this shows the Homeplugs can cope with audio streaming without other heavy network traffic. If/when they show red and you get dropouts, that would be the time to try the long cable.

For an even more demanding test of the Homeplugs, you could try playing a 24/192 FLAC file with WAV transcoding. You can download some samples from this page.

How do you like the sound of the DS?
25-04-2014, 10:36
(25-04-2014 10:27)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-04-2014 09:18)gnomus Wrote:  I figured that the only way to test this further was to get a DS. I'm now playing FLAC transcoded to WAV24. The Homeplugs are still showing Green/Yellow.

OK, this shows the Homeplugs can cope with audio streaming without other heavy network traffic. If/when they show red and you get dropouts, that would be the time to try the long cable.

For an even more demanding test of the Homeplugs, you could try playing a 24/192 FLAC file with WAV transcoding. You can download some samples from this page.

How do you like the sound of the DS?

I am downloading a 24/192 album as I type, and will report back.

The DS trip went badly - I had hoped to be able to get away with a Sneaky (or perhaps a Majik) - I came home with an Akurate.

(I'll be hearing the Exakt system tonight - so I'll probably be trading the Akurate in tomorrow!)
02-05-2014, 06:46
OK - an update.

You will recall that I was getting stuttering playback problems using Homeplugs with my Sonos system. You recommended getting a long ethernet cable to see if that cured the problem. However, the issue seemed to resolve itself.

Well it came back, somewhat, a couple of nights ago. It was not the full "stuttering - no playback" issue. Rather, the music would be playing and would then "pause" for a second (perhaps less than a second) before resuming.

I have now tried using that long ethernet cable. Last night the setup with long cable worked flawlessly. To test the system load as best I could, I had the kids using Skype on their computers, downloading games, and I even tried playing something through Sky 'Anytime' for a while. Throughout this the music streaming worked perfectly.

You said that this long-cable test would help determine whether or not a "bridge" would be the answer (the long cable is not a long-term solution). If I understood your previous posts, then this now seems to be the way forward. Could you offer some advice on what a bridge is and how I should set it up? Again, any specific product advice would be most helpful. I don't mind spending a bit extra to get the right gear.

Thanks again for your help.
02-05-2014, 09:51
(02-05-2014 06:46)gnomus Wrote:  You said that this long-cable test would help determine whether or not a "bridge" would be the answer (the long cable is not a long-term solution). If I understood your previous posts, then this now seems to be the way forward. Could you offer some advice on what a bridge is and how I should set it up? Again, any specific product advice would be most helpful. I don't mind spending a bit extra to get the right gear.

The first question is whether the layout of your house is suitable for a wireless bridge. How far apart are the streamer and the router, and how many walls are between them in a direct "line of sight"?
02-05-2014, 10:03
(02-05-2014 09:51)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 06:46)gnomus Wrote:  You said that this long-cable test would help determine whether or not a "bridge" would be the answer (the long cable is not a long-term solution). If I understood your previous posts, then this now seems to be the way forward. Could you offer some advice on what a bridge is and how I should set it up? Again, any specific product advice would be most helpful. I don't mind spending a bit extra to get the right gear.

The first question is whether the layout of your house is suitable for a wireless bridge. How far apart are the streamer and the router, and how many walls are between them in a direct "line of sight"?

OK. The router is in an upstairs room. It is approximately 40 feet, as the crow flies, from Router to Streamer. There would be three walls: two plasterboard (stud partition) walls and a solid, load-bearing (breeze-block) wall. And a chipboard floor of course.
02-05-2014, 10:35
(02-05-2014 10:03)gnomus Wrote:  OK. The router is in an upstairs room. It is approximately 40 feet, as the crow flies, from Router to Streamer. There would be three walls: two plasterboard (stud partition) walls and a solid, load-bearing (breeze-block) wall. And a chipboard floor of course.

Unfortunately, I think it's unlikely that a wireless bridge would work for audio streaming over this distance and with these obstacles in the way. In my case, the over-the-air distance is about 10 feet with one breeze-block wall, two doors and no floors.

Is it possible to run an Ethernet cable over part of the distance upstairs or downstairs (or both)? This would reduce the over-the-air distance separating the bridge units. The only other option would be to find an alternative type of homeplugs that are better able to handle heavy traffic loads and audio streaming.
02-05-2014, 10:50
(02-05-2014 10:35)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 10:03)gnomus Wrote:  OK. The router is in an upstairs room. It is approximately 40 feet, as the crow flies, from Router to Streamer. There would be three walls: two plasterboard (stud partition) walls and a solid, load-bearing (breeze-block) wall. And a chipboard floor of course.

Unfortunately, I think it's unlikely that a wireless bridge would work for audio streaming over this distance and with these obstacles in the way. In my case, the over-the-air distance is about 10 feet with one breeze-block wall, two doors and no floors.

Is it possible to run an Ethernet cable over part of the distance upstairs or downstairs (or both)? This would reduce the over-the-air distance separating the bridge units. The only other option would be to find an alternative type of homeplugs that are better able to handle heavy traffic loads and audio streaming.

I could move the location of the Router - to a room that is downstairs with only 1 partition wall and 1 solid wall. It will be still be some 20-30 feet away, though.

What about getting another router and setting up a music only network? I could get another router (hard wired the NAS) within 15-20 feet (but with the signal passing through a door that is timber/glass. All I would need then is a way of getting the music-Router to talk to the main router for the times it needs to get access to the Internet. Would something like this be possible.

Failing that I suppose I could attach my NAS directly to the Streamer, but I am not sure if this would allow MinimWatch and MinimStreamer to function as they are installed on the PC in my upstairs room.

Having shelled out for an Akurate, I want it to work flawlessly.