Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suggestions to customize browsing
05-09-2012, 16:07
RE: suggestions to customize browsing
(05-09-2012 15:04)winxi Wrote:  Suggestion 8) Blush
The option to add dynamic containers to the top folder view, like 'Most played', 'Last played' and so on.

.... and 'recently added'. (I've had some previous requests for the latter.) Smile

I'm sympathetic to doing something along these lines. The difficulty will be agreeing what algorithms should be used to decide the contents of these lists.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2012, 08:35
(05-09-2012 16:07)admin Wrote:  .... and 'recently added'. (I've had some previous requests for the latter.) Smile

That's a good idea Smile. 'Recently added' would be useful especially for large libraries or if more persons are supposed to add content to the library.

Quote:I'm sympathetic to doing something along these lines. The difficulty will be agreeing what algorithms should be used to decide the contents of these lists.

I guess that the most straightforward way would be to mark an audiofile as added if it has changed in any way, i.e. if it gets updated in the database during a server restart. All other possibilities (e.g. ignoring a changed filename or retagged files) would involve computing some kind of fingerprint of the audio data at the expense of performance. During server restart, how do you now determine if a file has changed?

What are the different possibilities to decide if a file has been played?

Many thanks, winxi
24-09-2012, 18:27
There has passed some time since my last suggestion, so here is number 9) Wink
These are two minor issues concerning the usability:
a) by chance I noticed that MinimServer wont start when at least one of the content directories is not valid. maybe it would be better the opposite way that MinimServer starts when at least one of the specified content directories is valid.
b) In MinimWatch, instead of the 'Apply'-button I'd prefer an 'Apply and Restart'-button.

Kind regards,
winxi
25-09-2012, 14:53
(24-09-2012 18:27)winxi Wrote:  There has passed some time since my last suggestion, so here is number 9) Wink
These are two minor issues concerning the usability:
a) by chance I noticed that MinimServer wont start when at least one of the content directories is not valid. maybe it would be better the opposite way that MinimServer starts when at least one of the specified content directories is valid.

The problem with this is that there would be no simple way to inform the user about this problem with an error message. Errors are reported using the red icon, which also indicates that the server is stopped.

Quote:b) In MinimWatch, instead of the 'Apply'-button I'd prefer an 'Apply and Restart'-button.

I think you mean 'OK and Restart'. The Apply button leaves the window open for further changes. If the server is being restarted, there wouldn't be any opportunity to make further changes in the window.

I'm a bit concerned about combining two different operations in this way (updating a property and restarting the server). In the next release, some property changes will be effective immediately without a server restart, so it won't always be necessary to restart the server after making a property change.
25-09-2012, 15:03
(06-09-2012 08:35)winxi Wrote:  
(05-09-2012 16:07)admin Wrote:  The difficulty will be agreeing what algorithms should be used to decide the contents of these lists.

I guess that the most straightforward way would be to mark an audiofile as added if it has changed in any way, i.e. if it gets updated in the database during a server restart. All other possibilities (e.g. ignoring a changed filename or retagged files) would involve computing some kind of fingerprint of the audio data at the expense of performance. During server restart, how do you now determine if a file has changed?

What are the different possibilities to decide if a file has been played?

It's not too hard to detect that a file has changed. When MinimServer starts, it looks to see if the file's timestamp or size has changed since it was last scanned.

What I meant was that it might be hard to agree on the meaning of "recently". This could be based on activity within a certain time period (such as the last month), or based on a fixed number of the last items to be added or played (such as the last 200 items), or perhaps some combination of these.

For "recently played", the only way MinimServer could detect this is by looking at HTTP GET requests for the audio data. This should produce fairly accurate results.
25-09-2012, 18:09
(25-09-2012 14:53)simoncn Wrote:  The problem with this is that there would be no simple way to inform the user about this problem with an error message. Errors are reported using the red icon, which also indicates that the server is stopped.

I see that the obvious error message is an advantage.

Quote:I'm a bit concerned about combining two different operations in this way (updating a property and restarting the server). In the next release, some property changes will be effective immediately without a server restart, so it won't always be necessary to restart the server after making a property change.

In that case it would be good to have some kind of notification in MinimWatch which indicates that a server restart is pending.

Quote:What I meant was that it might be hard to agree on the meaning of "recently". This could be based on activity within a certain time period (such as the last month), or based on a fixed number of the last items to be added or played (such as the last 200 items), or perhaps some combination of these.

I see, maybe the best idea would be to add options for this (I guess you already know that I'm a configurability-junkie Smile).

Many thanks!
25-09-2012, 22:11
(25-09-2012 18:09)winxi Wrote:  In that case it would be good to have some kind of notification in MinimWatch which indicates that a server restart is pending.

This could possibly be done by adding a Restart button to the Properties and Advanced dialogs. This button would be greyed out until there's a property change that requires a server restart to activate it.

Quote:I see, maybe the best idea would be to add options for this (I guess you already know that I'm a configurability-junkie Smile).

Yes, I do know that! Smile

I'm trying to balance configurability with simplicity. As it says on the MinimServer website:

.... MinimServer follows a "less is more" design philosophy where simplicity is of prime importance and features are included only if they provide important capability and are easy to understand and use.

In my view, this means taking a middle path between "one size fits all" and "everyone can personalise everything".
25-09-2012, 22:28
(25-09-2012 22:11)simoncn Wrote:  This could possibly be done by adding a Restart button to the Properties and Advanced dialogs. This button would be greyed out until there's a property change that requires a server restart to activate it.

The problem with this it's that it's not visible if the user presses "OK" after changing a property. In this case, a dialog box could be displayed after "OK" asking if the user wants to restart. I'd need to try this to see how cumbersome it feels.
26-09-2012, 07:47 (This post was last modified: 26-09-2012 07:49 by winxi.)
(25-09-2012 22:28)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 22:11)simoncn Wrote:  This could possibly be done by adding a Restart button to the Properties and Advanced dialogs. This button would be greyed out until there's a property change that requires a server restart to activate it.

The problem with this it's that it's not visible if the user presses "OK" after changing a property. In this case, a dialog box could be displayed after "OK" asking if the user wants to restart. I'd need to try this to see how cumbersome it feels.

I could also imagine a tray icon notification as soon as an option which requires a restart is applied (either by pressing 'Apply' or 'Ok').
26-09-2012, 09:50
(26-09-2012 07:47)winxi Wrote:  I could also imagine a tray icon notification as soon as an option which requires a restart is applied (either by pressing 'Apply' or 'Ok').

This is a good idea, but unfortunately it wouldn't work on Mac OS X.

On Windows and Linux, this notification pops up for a few seconds and then disappears automatically. On Mac OS X, it's displayed as a message box with an OK button to close it. This is quite a nuisance for informational notifications, so the Mac OS X versions of MinimServer and MinimWatch only produce notifications for "red icon" errors.