Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CUE Sheets
01-04-2015, 14:13
RE: CUE Sheets
+1

Would be a real useful feature, especially for FLACs and DSDs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 16:15
HI,

I'm new on this forum and to MinimServer. I'm currently an user of logitech media server and I'm using cue sheets. In time, I helped the development of cue sheet handling in LMS, so if you need some help or some insight about it I could help you in this, maybe I could also take care of some development, but first I'll have to understend some more about MinimServer.

Marco
13-05-2015, 09:37
Cue sheet will be nice upgrade for minimserver. This is the only thing that I'm missing in this software. I have some files with cue and whenever I want to split them there is some loss in sound quality so I don't touch them.
12-12-2015, 22:26 (This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 22:30 by minimero.)
Single file FLAC + cuesheet are still very common in large Classical Music audio collections. Some proprietary DLNA servers support it (squeezebox). Kodi handles single-FLAC images + cuesheets nicely on its local music library; its problem is that via DLNA it lists the tracks that it finds in the cuesheet, but all tracks point to the same single-file FLAC file for the full album, so all tracks start "playing" the whole album - they all point to the start of the first track - so Kodi's embedded DLNA server is unusable in this scenario.

Joined this forum just to request MininServer devs to look into this feature, so that cuesheet tracks can be scanned into the database like Kodi does, and when played back, the FLAC file "segment" that corresponds to the track is served as a playable "track", so that any DLNA player can handle it.

Many people are requesting this. Many more probably reach this site, take a look and go away without asking.
15-12-2015, 23:39
There are some very significant implementation issues with adding this support. The UPnP server protocol requires each track to be sent as a complete file. This means that MinimServer would need to repackage the large FLAC file into a number of smaller "virtual files" each of which would need to have the complete structure of a FLAC file (effectively equivalent to the user doing the same splitting exercise).

When this is combined with other MinimServer features such as transcoding with sample-accurate seeking, the implementation would become very complex and the result would be less usable (for example, in seek performance) than having separate track files in the library. Other areas of increased complexity include the need to support an alternate way of scanning track files and their metadata and an alternate way of storing this information in the MinimServer cache file for subsequent rescans.

For all these reasons, I don't have any plans to add support to MinimServer for this capability.
31-12-2020, 14:58
Hi FLAC+CUE users,

after years of searching for a media server for my music library consisting of FLAC+CUE files I solved the problem in a way that should work for everyone who has a music library on some NAS that supports docker for any media server supporting FLAC (incl. MinimServer):

https://github.com/andresch/trackfs

Trackfs creates a virtual filesystem (aka FUSE) in which it splits up all FLAC+CUE files into individual tracks (without permanently allocating disc space). It also copies all (most) meta data (incl. pictures) into the individual tracks. Then you use that virtual filesystem as source in your media server.

Hope this helps some of you too. Comments/questions on github are welcome.

Andreas
31-12-2020, 15:46
Thanks very much for this! It should be a good solution for users who are on a platform that is able to run it.
25-06-2021, 08:45
I've converted a number of classical/opera albums to be single file, just so that I can play them on a rather old and good but annoying TEAC NP-H750 - which introduces a 30second gap between tracks when using its poor DLNA functionality. Using its clunky inbuilt control point capability there are no annoying track delays, but no-one with half a brain would want to use their facility. TEAC has discontinued the product and has always been zero helpful in response to requests for improvement - surely a simple firmware upgrade. The kit is not sufficiently modular that I can bypass the inbuilt control point simply by modifying the hardware.

SO I AM ADDING MY VOICE TO REQUEST CUE SHEETS.

Then I can use the TEAC, which has beautiful audio output, and see the tracks. Meantime I continue to use a Yamaha R-N602, which is OK but is monstrous and has a rather brittle sound.

I have searched for other media servers, and Simon is correct that there is very little support for cue sheets. In any case other media servers just don't get anywhere near MinimServer for quality and simplicity.
26-06-2021, 17:01
(25-06-2021 08:45)Wwhattam Wrote:  I've converted a number of classical/opera albums to be single file, just so that I can play them on a rather old and good but annoying TEAC NP-H750 - which introduces a 30second gap between tracks when using its poor DLNA functionality. Using its clunky inbuilt control point capability there are no annoying track delays, but no-one with half a brain would want to use their facility. TEAC has discontinued the product and has always been zero helpful in response to requests for improvement - surely a simple firmware upgrade. The kit is not sufficiently modular that I can bypass the inbuilt control point simply by modifying the hardware.

SO I AM ADDING MY VOICE TO REQUEST CUE SHEETS.

Then I can use the TEAC, which has beautiful audio output, and see the tracks. Meantime I continue to use a Yamaha R-N602, which is OK but is monstrous and has a rather brittle sound.

I have searched for other media servers, and Simon is correct that there is very little support for cue sheets. In any case other media servers just don't get anywhere near MinimServer for quality and simplicity.

Well, there is another solution: use a program like XLD which takes your original file, and in the matter of a few seconds, with the help of the cue sheet, transform it into a bunch of different files, one per track.

This should be faster than waiting for Simon to add the cue sheet; if you look at his reply a few years ago, the reason he gave for not doing this is still valid.

This IMHO, of course....
26-06-2021, 21:34 (This post was last modified: 26-06-2021 22:07 by simoncn.)
@Wwhattam: Thank you for explaining this scenario. I understand why support for CUE sheets is important for you.

@lyapounov: Thank you for posting this suggested workaround.

I don't recommend waiting for CUE support to be added to MinimServer. As lyapounov has said, all the reasons I gave in 2015 for not implementing this support are still valid now, In addition, the small number of requests for this feature since 2015 in comparison to requests for other enhancements makes it even less likely that CUE sheets will ever be supported by MinimServer.

The top priority major enhancements at present (all requiring a significant amount of work, like support for CUE sheets) are:

1) Add support for viewing recently added files
2) Improve the web configuration interface to allow all properties to be configured
3) Improve rescanning so that the whole library isn't rescanned when only a small number of files have been added or changed

For all the above, most users would benefit and there is no reasonable workaround. Changes that would benefit only a small number of users and have a reasonable workaround are inevitably prioritised lower.

Minor changes that are easier to implement have a lower bar. For these, if a new feature has clear benefit to a reasonable number of users, doesn't add significant complexity, doesn't have adverse effects such as performance overhead or increased memory usage and doesn't require too much work, the feature will be prioritised relative to other similar features for inclusion in a future version of MinimServer.