Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver disappers
23-03-2014, 00:29
RE: Minimserver disappers
(22-03-2014 19:12)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 18:45)Billzab Wrote:  Unfortunately I no longer have a Windows PC in the house Simon. Since my windows laptop packed in a few months ago, I only have an iPad and an old laptop running Linux (Ubuntu). The Linux laptop is wired to the switch but as of yet I have not installed Minimwatch to it as it looks a bit complicated. I did try to install java but could not get it to work. What I have done today is restart Minimserver on the NAS and it has appeared in Kinsky. One thing I have noticed is that whenever I start Kinsky and go to the library's, the ReadyNAS Media server appears instantly and Minimserver pops up a few seconds later or not at all as is the reason for the post. I would prefer to have the ReadyNAS media server disabled but I do need it for videos to my WDlive box.

All seems well at the moment and I will report back if it disappears again. Thanks for your help so far.

Bill.

Can you try Kinsky on the wired Linux laptop?

Unfortunately, you won't be able to get the best from MinimServer without a computer that can run Java and MinimWatch. Which version of Ubuntu are you running?

I will install Kinsky on the wired Linux laptop tomorrow and let you no if it performs better than the iPad. I have version 12.04 of Ubuntu installed at the moment. Cheers, Bill.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2014, 14:34
I have searched the ubuntu software centre and had a look on the linn website, but can't find Kinsky for ubuntu. Can you point me in the right direction Simon? Cheers.

Bill.
23-03-2014, 18:02
(23-03-2014 14:34)Billzab Wrote:  I have searched the ubuntu software centre and had a look on the linn website, but can't find Kinsky for ubuntu. Can you point me in the right direction Simon? Cheers.

Bill.

You can install and run Kinsky by doing the following:

1) From this page, download the Debian beta build (kinsky_4.3.13-1_all.deb)

2) Run the command: sudo apt-get update

3) Run the command: sudo apt-get install libmono-winforms2.0-cil

4) Run the command: sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs

5) Run the command: sudo dpkg -i kinsky_4.3.13-1_all.deb
Note: If the .deb file isn't in your current directory, you need to specify the full path for this file.

6) Run the command: Kinsky
23-03-2014, 18:36
(22-03-2014 18:45)Billzab Wrote:  The Linux laptop is wired to the switch but as of yet I have not installed Minimwatch to it as it looks a bit complicated. I did try to install java but could not get it to work.

You can install Java on Ubuntu 12.04 by doing the following:

1) Download the file jre-7u51-linux-i586.tar.gz from this page.

2) Unpack this to an empty directory. For example, on my machine I used the commands:

mkdir /sd1/java
cd /sd1/java
tar xf <download-path>/jre-7u51-linux-i586.tar.gz

where <download-path> is the path to the downloaded file from step 1)

3) Enter the command:

sudo ln -s /sd1/java/jdk1.7.0_51/bin/java /usr/local/bin

with /sd1/java replaced by the directory that you created in step 2)

4) Check it's working by entering the command:

java -version

If this is working, you should be able to install MinimWatch by following the instructions in this section.
24-03-2014, 14:46
Hi Simon,

I am having a similar issue with Minimserver and a BT Hub 5 using Naim N-stream and NDX Streamer. After switching off one UPNP device (NAS, Streamer, Mac) it will find the server until selecting the first track, then it will play whatever is in the buffer but come up with no server. Internet Radio works ok.

Twonky still works but isn't nearly as good as Minimserver! Suspect the BT Hub is doing something it shouldn't be which Minimserver is particularly sensitive too?

Thanks
24-03-2014, 14:54 (This post was last modified: 24-03-2014 16:07 by simoncn.)
(24-03-2014 14:46)wazza69 Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I am having a similar issue with Minimserver and a BT Hub 5 using Naim N-stream and NDX Streamer. After switching off one UPNP device (NAS, Streamer, Mac) it will find the server until selecting the first track, then it will play whatever is in the buffer but come up with no server. Internet Radio works ok.

Twonky still works but isn't nearly as good as Minimserver! Suspect the BT Hub is doing something it shouldn't be which Minimserver is particularly sensitive too?

Thanks

Yes, it does seem that's what's happening. It will be hard for me to understand what's causing the problem without seeing a Wireshark trace. Would you be able to run MinimServer on Windows or Mac and produce a Wireshark trace covering the time when MinimServer loses contact?
24-03-2014, 14:57
Of course, email me the instructions for mac please
24-03-2014, 16:16
Do you have jumbo frames enabled on the Duo?
Try disabling that.

Cheers,
Stefan
24-03-2014, 16:50
(24-03-2014 16:16)bossinga Wrote:  Do you have jumbo frames enabled on the Duo?
Try disabling that.

Cheers,
Stefan

I don't have jumbo frames

Thanks
24-03-2014, 19:21
(23-03-2014 18:02)simoncn Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 14:34)Billzab Wrote:  I have searched the ubuntu software centre and had a look on the linn website, but can't find Kinsky for ubuntu. Can you point me in the right direction Simon? Cheers.

Bill.

You can install and run Kinsky by doing the following:

1) From this page, download the Debian beta build (kinsky_4.3.13-1_all.deb)

2) Run the command: sudo apt-get update

3) Run the command: sudo apt-get install libmono-winforms2.0-cil

4) Run the command: sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs

5) Run the command: sudo dpkg -i kinsky_4.3.13-1_all.deb
Note: If the .deb file isn't in your current directory, you need to specify the full path for this file.

6) Run the command: Kinsky

Sorry Simon, I will have to give up this. I have no knowledge of Linux and most of what you have said above is double dutch to me. I have played about with it for a while, but not got far. It took me over half an hour to find where to type these commands and using the terminal takes me back to DOS days which I no longer remember. I have looked for Kinsky and Minimserver in the Software centre and as they are both not there, I do not have the knowledge to install them using terminal, nor the time to learn.

I notice other are having a similar problem with the BT Homehub and it maybe that that is the problem. I have discovered that the only way to ensure Minimserver appears on the ipad, is to close the ipad down and reboot it, it is then found. If I then use another app and go back to kinsky, Minimserver is not found.

Thanks for all your advice. Bill.