Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Mac User
15-03-2014, 20:47
New Mac User
Hello, just started with Minimserver today. I use Mac Mini and PS Audio Dac. A few issues:

1. Minimserver icon on menu bar doesn't turn green--should it?
2. I can't figure out how to control and browse from the Mac directly. Clicking on icon doesn't give any choice than allows control, just rescan, stop restart etc.
3. Some music seems to be playing in the wrong resolution, e.g. 16/44 files sometimes say 24/44, sometimes 24/192.
4. When I installed, it said I need to update and when I did that got an error but runs anyway subject to above.

Thx in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2014, 00:02
RE: New Mac User
(15-03-2014 20:47)sarjeb Wrote:  Hello, just started with Minimserver today. I use Mac Mini and PS Audio Dac. A few issues:

On the Mac, the icon is transparent to indicate MinimServer is running normally.

Quote:2. I can't figure out how to control and browse from the Mac directly. Clicking on icon doesn't give any choice than allows control, just rescan, stop restart etc.

You need to use a UPnP control point application for this. For example, there is a Mac version of Linn Kinsky.

Quote:3. Some music seems to be playing in the wrong resolution, e.g. 16/44 files sometimes say 24/44, sometimes 24/192.

I'm not sure what could cause this. It's unlikely to be a problem with MinimServer. There might be a problem with the audio information in the file. What happens if you play the same file directly without using MinimServer?

Quote:4. When I installed, it said I need to update and when I did that got an error but runs anyway subject to above.

Thx in advance.

You need to install update 18 first, then relaunch MinimServer, then install the latest update. The automated prompts should take you through this sequence.
16-03-2014, 15:30
(16-03-2014 00:02)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 20:47)sarjeb Wrote:  Hello, just started with Minimserver today. I use Mac Mini and PS Audio Dac. A few issues:

On the Mac, the icon is transparent to indicate MinimServer is running normally.

Quote:2. I can't figure out how to control and browse from the Mac directly. Clicking on icon doesn't give any choice than allows control, just rescan, stop restart etc.

You need to use a UPnP control point application for this. For example, there is a Mac version of Linn Kinsky.

Quote:3. Some music seems to be playing in the wrong resolution, e.g. 16/44 files sometimes say 24/44, sometimes 24/192.

I'm not sure what could cause this. It's unlikely to be a problem with MinimServer. There might be a problem with the audio information in the file. What happens if you play the same file directly without using MinimServer?

Quote:4. When I installed, it said I need to update and when I did that got an error but runs anyway subject to above.

Thx in advance.

You need to install update 18 first, then relaunch MinimServer, then install the latest update. The automated prompts should take you through this sequence.

Thanks--on point 2, I'll try Kinsky which I use in another setup. But for actual control iPad app doesnt work very well. What else to people use? On 3, yes these files play correctly over USB through JRiver and Amarra for example. AndI I'll try 4.
16-03-2014, 17:17
(16-03-2014 15:30)sarjeb Wrote:  On 3, yes these files play correctly over USB through JRiver and Amarra for example.

If you would like to me to look into this, please upload one (only) of these files to my FTP server. I will PM you the server details.
16-03-2014, 17:18
I use PlugPlayer as the control point in my set up.

BTW - I used to use a MacMini but now I have a Synology DS411slim and loaded MinimServer on it. Works great and eliminates the need for the MacMini.