Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot see all files.
02-03-2014, 01:06
Cannot see all files.
I have been playing with Mimiserver for a couple weeks and up until now it has worked pretty well. To start I have it running on my MacMini and use PlugPlayer as a control point. My renderer is a Resolution Audio Cantata. Previously I used JRiver and still use it to curate my library. However, one thing I do not like about Minimserver is the views of files from either the Album or Artist view. So I just use the folder view and I can see everything fine as it sits on my external drive.

However, I recently have added some album art to files using Metadatics. I did not do any retagging, just searched for album art using Google and then updated the files. Now the problem I am having is when I try to access these files on Minimserver I see the artwork, but not necessarily all the songs for a recording. Sometimes less than half show up.

In any case if someone can assist me with figuring out what the issue is I would appreciate it. Also, if there is a way to understand tagging better in Minimserver and how to clean up some of the other library views I would appreciate it. For what it's worth Asset was worse. JRiver seems to have the best view of things in the library.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2014, 08:18
RE: Cannot see all files.
(02-03-2014 01:06)clio09 Wrote:  I have been playing with Mimiserver for a couple weeks and up until now it has worked pretty well. To start I have it running on my MacMini and use PlugPlayer as a control point. My renderer is a Resolution Audio Cantata. Previously I used JRiver and still use it to curate my library. However, one thing I do not like about Minimserver is the views of files from either the Album or Artist view. So I just use the folder view and I can see everything fine as it sits on my external drive.

However, I recently have added some album art to files using Metadatics. I did not do any retagging, just searched for album art using Google and then updated the files. Now the problem I am having is when I try to access these files on Minimserver I see the artwork, but not necessarily all the songs for a recording. Sometimes less than half show up.

In any case if someone can assist me with figuring out what the issue is I would appreciate it. Also, if there is a way to understand tagging better in Minimserver and how to clean up some of the other library views I would appreciate it. For what it's worth Asset was worse. JRiver seems to have the best view of things in the library.

Please check the MinimServer log for error messages. When you added the album art to the files, something might have happened to the files that is preventing MinimServer from reading them successfully.

In the next few weeks, I will work on producing a "Good Tagging Guide" to explain how to tag files to get the best from MinimServer's library views.
02-03-2014, 22:39
There were a number of errors related to the missing songs in the log. I cleared the log, dod a rescan, and the errors repeated. I have attached a snapshot of the log to see if you can help figure out what is going on.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-03-2014, 23:37
(02-03-2014 22:39)clio09 Wrote:  There were a number of errors related to the missing songs in the log. I cleared the log, dod a rescan, and the errors repeated. I have attached a snapshot of the log to see if you can help figure out what is going on.

The error messages are telling you that these files have a problem in the WAV header or WAV data. MinimServer will ignore these files.

The warning messages are telling you that these files have a problem with one of the tags in the file. MinimServer will read these files and ignore the incorrect tag.
03-03-2014, 01:15
Thanks for the information. Would there be a fix for these errors?
03-03-2014, 03:34
Okay it appears if I use Sound Manager I can analyze and diagnose the files. Those that are corrupt have a few missing fields that require "0"s to be input. The repair feature fixes the files and they show up now.

I will be looking forward to that tagging manual.
03-03-2014, 10:18 (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 10:51 by simoncn.)
(03-03-2014 03:34)clio09 Wrote:  Okay it appears if I use Sound Manager I can analyze and diagnose the files. Those that are corrupt have a few missing fields that require "0"s to be input. The repair feature fixes the files and they show up now.

I will be looking forward to that tagging manual.

Thanks for this information. A quick web search shows a few different references to Sound Manager. Please post a link to the Sound Manager software you are using. Many thanks!
03-03-2014, 15:47
To be more specific the vast majority of errors pertaining to files that could not be read had to do with the IFF being to large. Sorry made a mistake and the product is Sample Manager which easily repaired these. I have a very small batch of other files that could not be read that had other issues that Sample Manager could not fix. Ironically these were Hi-Rez files. Sample Manager also found errors in some files that could be read related to INFO chunk size and these were fixed.

Here is the link to the Sample Manager product I have:

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/samplemanager/

I originally purchased this product to convert bit depth and up sample my Redbook files only to find when I did that during playback on both JRiver and Minimserver I would get pops or static in between tracks. Now if I can only figure out what is causing that.