Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems (e.g. skipping) with HD FLAC files?
22-02-2014, 05:37
Problems (e.g. skipping) with HD FLAC files?
I'm getting erratic behavior playing the HD albums (96/24 FLAC) I recently purchased from HDtracks. Frequently the player will randomly skip to another track (not necessarily the next track) in the middle of playback. Also, if I try to manually skip to the next track, the player will frequently jump several tracks. I'm using a QNAP TS-220 to serve a Yamaha network receiver (R-N500). I'm also using the Yamaha Network Player (on an Android tablet) as a controller. Is the problem with HD FLAC, MinimServer, Yamaha (receiver or controller), QNAP, or some combination? By the way, the CDs I ripped to 44/16 FLAC work just fine with this setup. Also, the HD tracks playback through the receiver just fine via a USB flash drive plugged into the front of the unit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2014, 08:43
RE: Problems (e.g. skipping) with HD FLAC files?
(22-02-2014 05:37)mikey_at_swb Wrote:  I'm getting erratic behavior playing the HD albums (96/24 FLAC) I recently purchased from HDtracks. Frequently the player will randomly skip to another track (not necessarily the next track) in the middle of playback. Also, if I try to manually skip to the next track, the player will frequently jump several tracks. I'm using a QNAP TS-220 to serve a Yamaha network receiver (R-N500). I'm also using the Yamaha Network Player (on an Android tablet) as a controller. Is the problem with HD FLAC, MinimServer, Yamaha (receiver or controller), QNAP, or some combination? By the way, the CDs I ripped to 44/16 FLAC work just fine with this setup. Also, the HD tracks playback through the receiver just fine via a USB flash drive plugged into the front of the unit.

Do you have shuffle enabled in your control point? In some control points, it is easy to do this accidentally and difficult to see when this has happened. This could explain why the next track isn't being selected.

Does the same track always stop playing in the same place? If so, this would indicate a problem with the audio data inside the track.

If the problem seems more random than this, I would strongly suspect your network switch or router. It may be capable of streaming 44/16 reliably but not capable of streaming 96/24 reliably. What network components are you using to connect the QNAP to the Yamaha?
22-02-2014, 15:58
(22-02-2014 08:43)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 05:37)mikey_at_swb Wrote:  I'm getting erratic behavior playing the HD albums (96/24 FLAC) I recently purchased from HDtracks. Frequently the player will randomly skip to another track (not necessarily the next track) in the middle of playback. Also, if I try to manually skip to the next track, the player will frequently jump several tracks. I'm using a QNAP TS-220 to serve a Yamaha network receiver (R-N500). I'm also using the Yamaha Network Player (on an Android tablet) as a controller. Is the problem with HD FLAC, MinimServer, Yamaha (receiver or controller), QNAP, or some combination? By the way, the CDs I ripped to 44/16 FLAC work just fine with this setup. Also, the HD tracks playback through the receiver just fine via a USB flash drive plugged into the front of the unit.

Do you have shuffle enabled in your control point? In some control points, it is easy to do this accidentally and difficult to see when this has happened. This could explain why the next track isn't being selected.

Does the same track always stop playing in the same place? If so, this would indicate a problem with the audio data inside the track.

If the problem seems more random than this, I would strongly suspect your network switch or router. It may be capable of streaming 44/16 reliably but not capable of streaming 96/24 reliably. What network components are you using to connect the QNAP to the Yamaha?

Shuffle is definitely off. I'm new to this game, so just to be sure I tested this functionality on some 44/16 albums that I know stream just fine. These albums played back as expected, with or without shuffle.

I believe the HD tracks are okay as well. Like I said, I can play them through the receiver via a USB flash drive connected directly to the unit with no problems.

The skipping is definitely more random. If often happens in the middle of a track, not at its end, and not necessarily in the same place.

Great point about the other components in the string - I did not consider these terms in the equation. Given the randomness of the problem, I'm leaning in this direction. My NAS is attached to a switch, which is attached to a combined cable modem/wireless router:

Motorola Surfboard Wireless Cable Modem Gateway (SBG901)
Netgear 5 port 10/100 Mbps Switch (FS605v3)

BTW, the only wireless connection in this string is the control point - everything else is connected via Cat5e cable.

Thanks very much for your help!
22-02-2014, 17:37
(22-02-2014 15:58)mikey_at_swb Wrote:  Shuffle is definitely off. I'm new to this game, so just to be sure I tested this functionality on some 44/16 albums that I know stream just fine. These albums played back as expected, with or without shuffle.

I believe the HD tracks are okay as well. Like I said, I can play them through the receiver via a USB flash drive connected directly to the unit with no problems.

The skipping is definitely more random. If often happens in the middle of a track, not at its end, and not necessarily in the same place.

OK, it seems these possibilities have been eliminated. Smile

Quote:Great point about the other components in the string - I did not consider these terms in the equation. Given the randomness of the problem, I'm leaning in this direction. My NAS is attached to a switch, which is attached to a combined cable modem/wireless router:

BTW, the only wireless connection in this string is the control point - everything else is connected via Cat5e cable.

If the Yamaha is attached to the switch, it is probably the switch that is causing the problem. If the Yamaha is attached to the router, you could try attaching it to the switch to see whether this makes a difference.
22-02-2014, 18:05
(22-02-2014 17:37)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 15:58)mikey_at_swb Wrote:  Shuffle is definitely off. I'm new to this game, so just to be sure I tested this functionality on some 44/16 albums that I know stream just fine. These albums played back as expected, with or without shuffle.

OK, it seems these possibilities have been eliminated. Smile

Quote:Great point about the other components in the string - I did not consider these terms in the equation. Given the randomness of the problem, I'm leaning in this direction. My NAS is attached to a switch, which is attached to a combined cable modem/wireless router:

If the Yamaha is attached to the switch, it is probably the switch that is causing the problem. If the Yamaha is attached to the router, you could try attaching it to the switch to see whether this makes a difference.

The Yamaha is attached to the switch. The combined cable modem/wireless router has only one physical output, which is used by the switch. Hence I can't test this by attaching the Yamaha directly to the router, since then I won't have the NAS on the network!

The good news is that I had planned on donating the modem/switch to a friend and upgrading to a new modem (sans wireless) and a wireless router:

- Motorola Surfboard eXtreme Cable Modem (SB6141)
- Netgear R6300 Smart WiFi Router (AC1750)

They're sitting in a box in my closet waiting to be hooked up. Now might be the time...
22-02-2014, 19:51
(22-02-2014 18:05)mikey_at_swb Wrote:  The Yamaha is attached to the switch. The combined cable modem/wireless router has only one physical output, which is used by the switch. Hence I can't test this by attaching the Yamaha directly to the router, since then I won't have the NAS on the network!

The good news is that I had planned on donating the modem/switch to a friend and upgrading to a new modem (sans wireless) and a wireless router:

They're sitting in a box in my closet waiting to be hooked up. Now might be the time...

As both the QNAP and Yamaha are attached to the switch, the finger of suspicion is pointed fairly firmly at the switch. I think the new router/switch is likely to solve the problem.
23-02-2014, 23:36
(22-02-2014 19:51)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 18:05)mikey_at_swb Wrote:  The Yamaha is attached to the switch. The combined cable modem/wireless router has only one physical output, which is used by the switch. Hence I can't test this by attaching the Yamaha directly to the router, since then I won't have the NAS on the network!

As both the QNAP and Yamaha are attached to the switch, the finger of suspicion is pointed fairly firmly at the switch. I think the new router/switch is likely to solve the problem.

It doesn't look like I'll get a chance to set up this equipment until next weekend. I'll let you know how I make out when I do, just to close the loop on this thread for folks who may be experiencing similar problems. Stay tuned...
06-03-2014, 01:41
Big Grin RE: Problems (e.g. skipping) with HD FLAC files?
(23-02-2014 23:36)mikey_at_swb Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 19:51)simoncn Wrote:  

It doesn't look like I'll get a chance to set up this equipment until next weekend. I'll let you know how I make out when I do, just to close the loop on this thread for folks who may be experiencing similar problems. Stay tuned...

I finally got a chance to set up my new modem and wireless router. Problem solved. Sweet!!! Thanks again for the support.