Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artist vs. AlbumArtist
16-08-2012, 11:42 (This post was last modified: 16-08-2012 11:42 by bubbleguuum.)
RE: Artist vs. AlbumArtist
(16-08-2012 11:29)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 09:49)bubbleguuum Wrote:  I'm not sure how many people use a custom TXXX frame to identify compilations. Eventually you can add an option to configure the TXXX name that holds that info for the rare user who use it.
The foobar2000 discogs tagging plugin (that I wrote) will at least make use of it and will write TXXX COMPILATION=1 when appropriate.

I still don't understand why MinimServer would need to do something for a TXXX COMPILATION=1 frame that's different from what it would do for any other TXXX frame. To put this another way, what semantics would MinimServer attach to a "compilation" album that it wouldn't attach to any other album?

detecting compilation is useful if you want to present a Compilation subtree showing only compilations.

Example from foo_upnp:
http://bubbleguuum.free.fr/blargh/compilation.png
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2012, 12:16
(16-08-2012 11:42)bubbleguuum Wrote:  detecting compilation is useful if you want to present a Compilation subtree showing only compilations.

Example from foo_upnp:
http://bubbleguuum.free.fr/blargh/compilation.png

Thanks for the explanation and screenshot. For MinimServer, this seems equivalent to the way the user would add any custom subtree by creating a custom tag and adding the name of that tag to the indexTags property.
18-08-2012, 19:29
Hi, Mp3tag will allow to set the COMPILATION tag only to 1 or to 0. Is this a restriction of Mp3tag or is this some kind of special boolean tag? If such boolean tags exist it would be great to be supported in a future version of MinimServer. This way, a genuine compilation tree could be generated (showing only the part of the library with COMPILATION=1 without having another submenu containing the values of COMPLILATION inbetween).

Now, i use a custom tag COMP, which i set to meaningful values like 'Soundtrack, Best of, ...'.
18-08-2012, 19:42
(18-08-2012 19:29)winxi Wrote:  Hi, Mp3tag will allow to set the COMPILATION tag only to 1 or to 0. Is this a restriction of Mp3tag or is this some kind of special boolean tag? If such boolean tags exist it would be great to be supported in a future version of MinimServer. This way, a genuine compilation tree could be generated (showing only the part of the library with COMPILATION=1 without having another submenu containing the values of COMPLILATION inbetween).

Now, i use a custom tag COMP, which i set to meaningful values like 'Soundtrack, Best of, ...'.

What kind of file is this (MP3, FLAC, M4A, etc.)? For FLAC files, any value should be valid for the COMPILATION tag (and would be valid for MinimServer).

As a test, I have just used Mp3tag to set a COMPILATION value of 2 in a FLAC file.
18-08-2012, 19:50
(18-08-2012 19:42)simoncn Wrote:  What kind of file is this (MP3, FLAC, M4A, etc.)? For FLAC files, any value should be valid for the COMPILATION tag (and would be valid for MinimServer).

As a test, I have just used Mp3tag to set a COMPILATION value of 2 in a FLAC file.

I've only tried with mp3. You can try with the file I've just uploaded. I use Mp3tag 2.52. In the 'Extended Tags' menu, when I set COMPILATION to 2, save it and reopen this menu, it will be siwtched to 1.
18-08-2012, 20:52
(18-08-2012 19:50)winxi Wrote:  I've only tried with mp3. You can try with the file I've just uploaded. I use Mp3tag 2.52. In the 'Extended Tags' menu, when I set COMPILATION to 2, save it and reopen this menu, it will be siwtched to 1.

I confirm that Mp3tag does this for MP3 files. It's writing this value as a TCMP frame with the value 1. The TCMP frame isn't part of the ID3v2 tagging standard, but is an iTunes extension.

MinimServer doesn't currently read the iTunes TCMP frame, so these files should appear to have no COMPILATION tag when viewed in MinimServer. Is this what you're seeing?
18-08-2012, 21:00
(18-08-2012 20:52)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer doesn't currently read the iTunes TCMP frame, so these files should appear to have no COMPILATION tag when viewed in MinimServer. Is this what you're seeing?

Yes, this is what I'm seeing. That's why I used COMP instead of COMPILATION.
20-10-2012, 21:52 (This post was last modified: 20-10-2012 21:53 by Oroperplex.)
(15-08-2012 17:01)Briain Wrote:  Compilation album:

AlbumArtist=Blue Note Sampler
Album=Blue Note Sampler
Artist=John Doe
Album=Noisy Bugger
Album=Betty Bazookas

(The above is a made up example where it might be sensible to leave the AlbumArtist the same as the Album name; it might be the most logical one to look for if you wanted to play that album.)

I then selected all the compilations and used a different 'guess action' to populate all the AlbumArtist values with the album names. That meant the whole issue was usable after these two automated actions. My reasoning behind doing that with the compilations was that for albums like 'Ibiza Chillout Album', I'd rather have that as the AlbumArtist than just 'Various' (and it was only a temporary measure until I got round to manually re-tagging each album; as described below).

I then spent ages - at my leisure - working through all the compilations and rewriting the AlbumArtist values with the ones that I actually wanted (so that's when I populated the above with 'Peel, John'. Once that was done, I looked at all the single artist albums (like Pink Floyd and David Bowie) and renamed the ones with an artist name to the Surname, Firstname format (so that's when I changed David Bowie to Bowie, David).

I have never changed any artist values as that's what scrolls across the media player screen when it's playing (and I'd rather see it as 'David Bowie').

Bri

i also changed tag "artist" into format lastname,surname and e.g. The Beatles into Beatles, The; Cure, The and so on. For me it`s more convenient to scroll in tag "artist" through lastnames and not of tons of The ....

Open question for me, to fill in sampler albums the "album artist" with the album name ? That means between all of the artists in "albumartist" i will find several album names Confused But ok with something the "albumartist" has to be filled, if not, we found all of the track artists in the "album artist". That´s not so good.

Perhaps a good idea when we fill albumartist with the album name and do not want to find them in the overall albumartist selection is the following
1.) all track artist equal album artist = shown in album artist category

2.) all track artist not equal album artist = shown in album artist category (means albums that are no samplers or soundtracks but have some different track artists e.g. album The Cream of Clapton)

3.) tag album equal album artist = sign fo minim to show these albums in a subcategory /albumartist/compilations