Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Label" tag
17-02-2014, 16:33
"Label" tag
I have four albums by Peter Gabriel, all from B&W Society of Sound. I edited their tags to suit my schema, using Tag&Rename, including putting "B&W SoS Music" in the "Label". However, when I browse by label to B&W SoS Music then to "Gabriel, Peter", only two of the four albums show up.
Looking at the flac files, using dBpowersAmp's Edit ID-Tag, all files have "B&W SoS Music" for "Label". If I look at the files using MP3Tag, I find that the missing two albums have a "Publisher" tag, set to "B&W SoS Music", and no "Label" tag, and the non-missing albums have a "Label" tag set to "B&W SoS Music".
On the face of it, when I think I'm updating a "Label", it'd seem that, at random, I update "Publisher" instead!
At the risk of mixing two threads, I tried "Publisher:Label" in aliasTags, restarted minimserver, but saw no change.
Any ideas?

NickP
Stockport, UK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 18:02
RE: "Label" tag
(17-02-2014 16:33)NickP Wrote:  I have four albums by Peter Gabriel, all from B&W Society of Sound. I edited their tags to suit my schema, using Tag&Rename, including putting "B&W SoS Music" in the "Label". However, when I browse by label to B&W SoS Music then to "Gabriel, Peter", only two of the four albums show up.
Looking at the flac files, using dBpowersAmp's Edit ID-Tag, all files have "B&W SoS Music" for "Label". If I look at the files using MP3Tag, I find that the missing two albums have a "Publisher" tag, set to "B&W SoS Music", and no "Label" tag, and the non-missing albums have a "Label" tag set to "B&W SoS Music".
On the face of it, when I think I'm updating a "Label", it'd seem that, at random, I update "Publisher" instead!
At the risk of mixing two threads, I tried "Publisher:Label" in aliasTags, restarted minimserver, but saw no change.
Any ideas?

What type of files are these (e.g., FLAC, ALAC, MP3)?
17-02-2014, 21:14
(17-02-2014 18:02)simoncn Wrote:  What type of files are these (e.g., FLAC, ALAC, MP3)?
All flac.

Additional info.: I used mp3tag's "export" function to create a .csv that included "label" and "publisher", and also added "Publisher" to indexTags.
None of the Peter Gabriel files had "B&W..." in the publisher tag, and all had it in the "Label" tag!!
Browsing (Kinsky) on Publisher shows 6 albums and 2 tracks under variations of "Real World Productions", none of which is by Peter Gabriel.

Now I'm really confused!

NickP
Stockport, UK
17-02-2014, 21:23
(17-02-2014 21:14)NickP Wrote:  All flac.

Additional info.: I used mp3tag's "export" function to create a .csv that included "label" and "publisher", and also added "Publisher" to indexTags.
None of the Peter Gabriel files had "B&W..." in the publisher tag, and all had it in the "Label" tag!!
Browsing (Kinsky) on Publisher shows 6 albums and 2 tracks under variations of "Real World Productions", none of which is by Peter Gabriel.

Now I'm really confused!

Try adding Organization to indexTags. There is a strange mapping in Mp3tag between Organization and Publisher. To see this, select Tools > Options, then Tags > Mapping.
17-02-2014, 23:03
(17-02-2014 21:23)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 21:14)NickP Wrote:  All flac.

Now I'm really confused!

Try adding Organization to indexTags. There is a strange mapping in Mp3tag between Organization and Publisher. To see this, select Tools > Options, then Tags > Mapping.
Thanks; done that, & kicked off a re-start (is that necessary, when altering indexTags etc?) I'll have a look later, but won't post any more till tomorrow.

NickP
Stockport, UK
17-02-2014, 23:23 (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 23:23 by simoncn.)
(17-02-2014 23:03)NickP Wrote:  Thanks; done that, & kicked off a re-start (is that necessary, when altering indexTags etc?) I'll have a look later, but won't post any more till tomorrow.

Yes, a restart (not rescan) is needed after changing indexTags or itemTags.
19-02-2014, 15:54
(17-02-2014 23:23)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 23:03)NickP Wrote:  Thanks; done that, & kicked off a re-start (is that necessary, when altering indexTags etc?) I'll have a look later, but won't post any more till tomorrow.

Yes, a restart (not rescan) is needed after changing indexTags or itemTags.
Hi Simon
Sorry, I was sure I'd posted an update yesterday. I certainly previewed it, but must've messed up at the last...
Yes, the "missing" albums were revealed inside "Organization"; and also, in Organization, I could see a number of Labels\Publishers that I'd missed when I last went through making sure that every instance of all labels used the same value.
Question: am I doing something wrong when I use the "Label" tag? Should I be doing something differently?
Thanks again

NickP
Stockport, UK
19-02-2014, 16:59
(19-02-2014 15:54)NickP Wrote:  Hi Simon
Sorry, I was sure I'd posted an update yesterday. I certainly previewed it, but must've messed up at the last...
Yes, the "missing" albums were revealed inside "Organization"; and also, in Organization, I could see a number of Labels\Publishers that I'd missed when I last went through making sure that every instance of all labels used the same value.
Question: am I doing something wrong when I use the "Label" tag? Should I be doing something differently?
Thanks again

You would need to ask the provider(s) of your tagging software about that. Some tagging programs do strange things with tag names. You could probably remove the mapping from Label to Organization by changing your Mp3tag settings. Fortunately, MinimServer includes the aliasTags facility to enable you to get things straight in MinimServer's view of your files.