Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configuring radio streams with minimwatch
27-01-2015, 18:46
RE: Configuring radio streams with minimwatch
When I get the "Invalid Args (Code: 402)" error, I see absolutely no activity in the MinimServer log. I suspect that is a problem with Bubble itself.

I'll try the other things and post results separately.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2015, 19:02 (This post was last modified: 27-01-2015 19:50 by NeilT.)
(27-01-2015 08:11)simoncn Wrote:  Can you post a similar log for the case where you get an "Invalid Args (Code: 402)" error message? This might provide some useful clues.

You can also try making a couple of experimental changes to see whether they help:

1) Add a stream type. For the NAIM stream, you would do this by changing NAIM to NAIM;mp3 in the playlist entry

2) Transcode the stream to WAV or L16. You would do this by setting the stream.transcode property to

mp3:wav, *:wav

or

mp3:L16, *:L16

After changing the transcoding settings, restart MinimServer to make sure they are active.

I have attached two further log files showing the response to:
1. MinimServer log with stream type mp3 added to NAIM.zip
2. MinimServer log with transcoding added.zip

I still only get the odd couple of seconds playback - frustrating as it sounds excellent!

[Edit]
A further clue is that it streams to the tablet as a renderer OK! It's looking like some problem with the QED device.

Also, I can now get a few seconds of BBC streams from the transcoded links (first entry in the playlist), whereas the straight through links still give the error message. I guess that's the forced transcoding causing it to try.

Attached File(s)
.zip  MinimServer log with stream type mp3 added to NAIM.zip (Size: 3.68 KB / Downloads: 1)
.zip  MinimServer log with transcoding added.zip (Size: 4.87 KB / Downloads: 1)
27-01-2015, 22:14
(27-01-2015 19:02)NeilT Wrote:  I have attached two further log files showing the response to:
1. MinimServer log with stream type mp3 added to NAIM.zip
2. MinimServer log with transcoding added.zip

I still only get the odd couple of seconds playback - frustrating as it sounds excellent!

[Edit]
A further clue is that it streams to the tablet as a renderer OK! It's looking like some problem with the QED device.

Also, I can now get a few seconds of BBC streams from the transcoded links (first entry in the playlist), whereas the straight through links still give the error message. I guess that's the forced transcoding causing it to try.

The first log doesn't appear to have had mp3 added as the stream type. Did you restart MinimServer after making this change? Perhaps it is also necessary to power the QED off and on. I will set up a test to check whether adding the mp3 type is working correctly for me with this NAIM stream.

The second log shows that the renderer stopped reading the stream that the server was sending. After 2 seconds of the stream being blocked in this way, the server automatically terminated the connection.

These logs and the symptoms you have reported suggest to me that the QED might be trying to read and cache a large amount of audio data before it starts playing the stream. This is fine when the stream is for a local file but it could cause problems with a live radio stream because the data might not be available immediately when the renderer is requesting it. If the renderer isn't prepared for this possibility, it might cause the problems you are having.
28-01-2015, 11:32
(27-01-2015 22:14)simoncn Wrote:  The first log doesn't appear to have had mp3 added as the stream type. Did you restart MinimServer after making this change? Perhaps it is also necessary to power the QED off and on. I will set up a test to check whether adding the mp3 type is working correctly for me with this NAIM stream.

I have checked this and confirmed that the mp3 stream type wasn't set correctly when the first trace log was produced.
28-01-2015, 12:03
(27-01-2015 22:14)simoncn Wrote:  The first log doesn't appear to have had mp3 added as the stream type. Did you restart MinimServer after making this change? Perhaps it is also necessary to power the QED off and on. I will set up a test to check whether adding the mp3 type is working correctly for me with this NAIM stream.

The second log shows that the renderer stopped reading the stream that the server was sending. After 2 seconds of the stream being blocked in this way, the server automatically terminated the connection.

These logs and the symptoms you have reported suggest to me that the QED might be trying to read and cache a large amount of audio data before it starts playing the stream. This is fine when the stream is for a local file but it could cause problems with a live radio stream because the data might not be available immediately when the renderer is requesting it. If the renderer isn't prepared for this possibility, it might cause the problems you are having.

Thanks Simon.

I've rebooted the QED and retried - the attached log seems to show that transcoding is occurring OK. When I try it with the tablet as the renderer, I see the regular data chunks in the log.

Attached File(s)
.zip  Retry with mp3 type, QED rebooted.zip (Size: 4.55 KB / Downloads: 2)
28-01-2015, 13:32
(28-01-2015 12:03)NeilT Wrote:  Thanks Simon.

I've rebooted the QED and retried - the attached log seems to show that transcoding is occurring OK. When I try it with the tablet as the renderer, I see the regular data chunks in the log.

This log is showing transcoding to WAV. Can you try setting the stream type to mp3 without any transcoding?
28-01-2015, 14:18
(28-01-2015 13:32)simoncn Wrote:  is log is showing transcoding to WAV. Can you try setting the stream type to mp3 without any transcoding?

I cleared the transcoding entries in properties and restarted MinimServer. I've rebooted the QED. I get probably less than 1 second of audio, where with transcoding it would play for 2 or 3 seconds. i also note that the BBC streams play momentarily so the QED obviously handles aac - a bonus.

Attached File(s)
.zip  mp3 stream type, no transcoding.zip (Size: 3.71 KB / Downloads: 1)
28-01-2015, 14:54
(28-01-2015 14:18)NeilT Wrote:  I cleared the transcoding entries in properties and restarted MinimServer. I've rebooted the QED. I get probably less than 1 second of audio, where with transcoding it would play for 2 or 3 seconds. i also note that the BBC streams play momentarily so the QED obviously handles aac - a bonus.

Thanks for trying this. This is similar to the original log. MinimServer starts sending audio data at 13:15:37.594 and the QED closes the connection at 13:15:38.407. I think you will need to contact QED for further advice.
28-01-2015, 15:35
(28-01-2015 14:54)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-01-2015 14:18)NeilT Wrote:  I cleared the transcoding entries in properties and restarted MinimServer. I've rebooted the QED. I get probably less than 1 second of audio, where with transcoding it would play for 2 or 3 seconds. i also note that the BBC streams play momentarily so the QED obviously handles aac - a bonus.

Thanks for trying this. This is similar to the original log. MinimServer starts sending audio data at 13:15:37.594 and the QED closes the connection at 13:15:38.407. I think you will need to contact QED for further advice.

Thanks Simon.

I've sent QED an email and will let you know if anything transpires.

There is something funny going on because reviewers claim the device is almost gapless with streamed music files but I suffer 4 or 5 second gaps between all tracks.
28-01-2015, 18:40
Heh! A short reply from the QED tech support saying

"Internet streams ? I don’t remember the streamer having that design feature, eg , you can’t use it for Spotify, Deezeer etc. It can only stream files stored some where .

They clearly don't understand this DLNA/UPnP stuff!

Looks like I'll have to plug my tablet into the amplifier until I can afford a decent streamer - I've promised myself a Naim when we sell this house Smile