Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
controller cannot see minimServer
26-09-2012, 10:54
RE: controller cannot see minimServer
I'm setting up a Synology for a friend. The minimServer starts to "disappear" after running overnight.

I have a Win7 PC and a QNAP running "special" version of minimServer, and those 2 "special" minimServer never "disappear" in the past few weeks.

I'm sure the "disappear" problem is fixed! Thanks again simoncn!

Btw, if a new version is not yet ready, I'd love to have that "special" version for the (arm version) Synology! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2012, 11:18
(26-09-2012 10:54)psme Wrote:  I'm setting up a Synology for a friend. The minimServer starts to "disappear" after running overnight.

I have a Win7 PC and a QNAP running "special" version of minimServer, and those 2 "special" minimServer never "disappear" in the past few weeks.

I'm sure the "disappear" problem is fixed! Thanks again simoncn!

Btw, if a new version is not yet ready, I'd love to have that "special" version for the (arm version) Synology! Smile

I'm glad to hear this solved the problem. The next release will include this fix for all platforms. I'm working on the final changes for the next release now.
25-01-2014, 13:30 (This post was last modified: 25-01-2014 13:43 by ppienter.)
I came to this post since the minimserver installed on my QNAP-TS419PII (up-to-date with actual version) is very slow in discovery on different controller apps I've tried.

On my receiver it's always available but then again, the network is always on in standby mode. When I switch of the receiver completely at also takes some time to discover the Minimserver

I have 3 DLNA 'servers'. The first 2 show up almost instantly and for minimserver it sometimes takes up to 5 minutes.

Also switching of the other DLNA servers doesn't help

After reading this post I did not find a solution.
25-01-2014, 14:14 (This post was last modified: 25-01-2014 14:17 by simoncn.)
(25-01-2014 13:30)ppienter Wrote:  I came to this post since the minimserver installed on my QNAP-TS419PII (up-to-date with actual version) is very slow in discovery on different controller apps I've tried.

On my receiver it's always available but then again, the network is always on in standby mode. When I switch of the receiver completely at also takes some time to discover the Minimserver

I have 3 DLNA 'servers'. The first 2 show up almost instantly and for minimserver it sometimes takes up to 5 minutes.

Also switching of the other DLNA servers doesn't help

After reading this post I did not find a solution.

It might help to set the ohnet.port property to a fixed value such as 9791, if this isn't already set. Some control points cache this value and take a long time to rediscover the server if its port number or IP address has changed.

Edit: If this doesn't help, there is probably a multicast issue with your network. Some servers send repeated announcements at very frequent intervals to compensate for this, but the ohNet UPnP stack that MinimServer uses doesn't do this.
25-01-2014, 15:59
(25-01-2014 14:14)simoncn Wrote:  It might help to set the ohnet.port property to a fixed value such as 9791, if this isn't already set. Some control points cache this value and take a long time to rediscover the server if its port number or IP address has changed.

Edit: If this doesn't help, there is probably a multicast issue with your network. Some servers send repeated announcements at very frequent intervals to compensate for this, but the ohNet UPnP stack that MinimServer uses doesn't do this.

The ohnet.port property was already set at this value. Is there a tool to find out what's happening with this multicast issue? A search on google doesn't lead me to a solution...
25-01-2014, 16:20
(25-01-2014 15:59)ppienter Wrote:  The ohnet.port property was already set at this value. Is there a tool to find out what's happening with this multicast issue? A search on google doesn't lead me to a solution...

What router are you using, and which control point applications have you tried?

As a test to confirm the problem, disable and re-enable MinimServer on the QNAP. If this makes it show up immediately in the control points, this confirms it's a multicast issue.
25-01-2014, 16:40
(25-01-2014 16:20)simoncn Wrote:  What router are you using, and which control point applications have you tried?

As a test to confirm the problem, disable and re-enable MinimServer on the QNAP. If this makes it show up immediately in the control points, this confirms it's a multicast issue.

The router I use is the standard one provided by my internet supplier (Telenet, Begium). The type is CBN SVG6540E.

My digicorder (to watch and record televison) is also discoverable in the uPnP devices but if I switch it off I can't watch recorded programs on my 2nd tv.

The apps I frequently us are the Denon app (on iPad) and Media:Connect.
The Kinsky app seems to be quicker (but also here Minimserver always loads last) in discovering but I never use it since it always stops after playing 1 track.

The restart of Minimserver indeed gave an improvement. Now it shows up right away even after closing and restarting the app.

For the test I also unplugged my digiboxes. If these are the cause than I don't know how to fix this (without reconfiguring it everytime I want to watch recorded programs).
25-01-2014, 19:35
(25-01-2014 16:40)ppienter Wrote:  The router I use is the standard one provided by my internet supplier (Telenet, Begium). The type is CBN SVG6540E.

My digicorder (to watch and record televison) is also discoverable in the uPnP devices but if I switch it off I can't watch recorded programs on my 2nd tv.

The apps I frequently us are the Denon app (on iPad) and Media:Connect.
The Kinsky app seems to be quicker (but also here Minimserver always loads last) in discovering but I never use it since it always stops after playing 1 track.

The restart of Minimserver indeed gave an improvement. Now it shows up right away even after closing and restarting the app.

For the test I also unplugged my digiboxes. If these are the cause than I don't know how to fix this (without reconfiguring it everytime I want to watch recorded programs).

I don't think having the digiboxes connected would cause the problem.

I can't find any information about this router in English. Does it have any settings related to IGMP or multicast?

At the moment, I don't have any other suggestions to offer. These problems are difficult to diagnose and fix. You could try downloading the Developer Tools for UPnP Technologies (see this page) and using the Device Spy tool to see what UPnP devices are discoverable on your network.
26-01-2014, 21:24
(25-01-2014 19:35)simoncn Wrote:  I don't think having the digiboxes connected would cause the problem.

I can't find any information about this router in English. Does it have any settings related to IGMP or multicast?

At the moment, I don't have any other suggestions to offer. These problems are difficult to diagnose and fix. You could try downloading the Developer Tools for UPnP Technologies (see this page) and using the Device Spy tool to see what UPnP devices are discoverable on your network.

Thanks for you kind support.
Unfortunately except from some port forwarding there are not that many options to configure...

I'll try the tools you suggest.
06-07-2014, 20:20
After a long search I came to the conclusion it has to do with the combination of the QNAP NAS and a Denon/Marantz Network streaming product. As soon as I activate a dlna server on the QNAP, it even interferes with dlna servers from other sources like other NAS or Windows PC.

When I deactivate any DLNA activity (just keep the file services) then I'm fine using my controller to stream music to my receiver using the remote app and other dlna sources.

My final validation came when installing a brand new Marantz SR-7800 at my parents who also have a QNAP NAS...

Since my dad has a Microft Server running in his office I installed Minimserver on it, deactivated any DLNA servers on his NAS and it runs perfect.

For me, I don't see an immedeate solution to share my huge music library.