Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Java Unsatisfied link error.
05-02-2014, 15:06
Java Unsatisfied link error.
Hi,
I am certain that I read somewhere many pages back about this error, but cannot now find the thread and a search is not throwing up any help.

When trying to open minimWatch I get Java.lang.unsatisfiedlinkerror. cannot load AMD64-bit .dll on a 32 bit platform.

Now this 'used' to work as I did the DoP Wav thing to my old drive, but when installing a new drive last week (yes, it's all working thank you) something up-dated and now MinimWatch no longer wants to work.

I have un-installed MinimWatch and re installed - still same error.
Could someone please point me in the correct direction please - I want to play some DSD files and also try the transcode to wav!

Better not go into my 'old fashioned' thoughts on this Windows 8 thing. Nasty, nasty bit of stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 16:52
RE: Java Unsatisfied link error.
(05-02-2014 15:06)sph2701 Wrote:  Hi,
I am certain that I read somewhere many pages back about this error, but cannot now find the thread and a search is not throwing up any help.

When trying to open minimWatch I get Java.lang.unsatisfiedlinkerror. cannot load AMD64-bit .dll on a 32 bit platform.

Now this 'used' to work as I did the DoP Wav thing to my old drive, but when installing a new drive last week (yes, it's all working thank you) something up-dated and now MinimWatch no longer wants to work.

I have un-installed MinimWatch and re installed - still same error.
Could someone please point me in the correct direction please - I want to play some DSD files and also try the transcode to wav!

Better not go into my 'old fashioned' thoughts on this Windows 8 thing. Nasty, nasty bit of stuff.

Please see the Note to point 1 in this section. It is sometimes helpful to read the installation instructions.
05-02-2014, 17:22
Hello Simon,
I **was**running Java in 64bit!
I had update 45 (64bit) on the computer, and now, under control panel I saw update 51.
I have just deleted that, and a bunch of downloads just occurred with Minim, and had to re set windows to run under Java update 45.

Everything has now re-started and Watch is working as it should.
So - perhaps update 51 (Java) was a 32 bit version? It uploaded automatically to the latest version - no input from me other than click update.

Trust me - I am OCD about reading manuals - from cover to cover, even before a product is purchased.
I like things to work, straight from the box, no matter what I have to sort.

Just knew this would be something silly.
Love the software BTW - it is a great bit of code.
05-02-2014, 17:43 (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 17:44 by simoncn.)
(05-02-2014 17:22)sph2701 Wrote:  Hello Simon,
I **was**running Java in 64bit!
I had update 45 (64bit) on the computer, and now, under control panel I saw update 51.
I have just deleted that, and a bunch of downloads just occurred with Minim, and had to re set windows to run under Java update 45.

Everything has now re-started and Watch is working as it should.
So - perhaps update 51 (Java) was a 32 bit version? It uploaded automatically to the latest version - no input from me other than click update.

Trust me - I am OCD about reading manuals - from cover to cover, even before a product is purchased.
I like things to work, straight from the box, no matter what I have to sort.

Just knew this would be something silly.
Love the software BTW - it is a great bit of code.

I believe the one-click update chooses the Java version (32-bit or 64-bit) that matches the browser from which you clicked the update button. It's a classic case of the software trying to be helpful by guessing what the user wants, but actually being very unhelpful by guessing wrong. Sad

There is another way to update Java (search for Java SE download) that allows you to choose which version you want.

Do you think it would be useful for me to expand the Note in the installation instructions to explain this pitfall with Java version updates?
05-02-2014, 19:47
Hi Simon,
For me it almost certainly would have - I have done a little more probing and from what I have gleaned - the 'old fashioned' widows front 'home' page from where we launch programs etc runs under 32 bit, yet that crazy app ridden page launched by "charms" (EH?? - far to much Harry Potter for me) runs under 64 bit, so you may well be absolutely correct in it 'guessing' what the user wants. Why can't it just ask!!

When I went to control panel to see just what Java I had - Update 45 (Java 64 bit) and below that Java Update 51. Nothing in brackets. So we could take from that the issue was 51 as it now works!

I will be very wary of any future up dates - I already have Windows auto update turned off (Not that it actually does anything, it still updates as soon as you open the blessed thing) so all in all I wish it was Vista.

Now to find where Minim Stream is as it does not appear to be in the download packages and I want some DSD files.
I will keep looking - honestlySmile
05-02-2014, 22:15
(05-02-2014 19:47)sph2701 Wrote:  Hi Simon,
For me it almost certainly would have - I have done a little more probing and from what I have gleaned - the 'old fashioned' widows front 'home' page from where we launch programs etc runs under 32 bit, yet that crazy app ridden page launched by "charms" (EH?? - far to much Harry Potter for me) runs under 64 bit, so you may well be absolutely correct in it 'guessing' what the user wants. Why can't it just ask!!

This information about "charms" is interesting. I wasn't aware of this new dimension to the Windows 32/64 situation.

Quote:When I went to control panel to see just what Java I had - Update 45 (Java 64 bit) and below that Java Update 51. Nothing in brackets. So we could take from that the issue was 51 as it now works!

If you can find a download for 51 (64 bit), this should be OK.

Quote:I will be very wary of any future up dates - I already have Windows auto update turned off (Not that it actually does anything, it still updates as soon as you open the blessed thing) so all in all I wish it was Vista.

I'm on Windows 7, which is much better than Vista and also much better than Windows 8.

Quote:Now to find where Minim Stream is as it does not appear to be in the download packages and I want some DSD files.
I will keep looking - honestlySmile

You should find the information you need at minimstreamer.com.