Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to separate multiple artists or composers in tag for Minimserver to read
02-02-2014, 16:58
how to separate multiple artists or composers in tag for Minimserver to read
I am new to Minimserver. I have a, probably, stupid question on multiple artists or Composers. How should they be separated in the tag for minimserver to see each name as separate? It does not seem to work with ",", ";" or "/"?

Ax
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 17:25
RE: how to separate multiple artists or composers in tag for Minimserver to read
(02-02-2014 16:58)DerAx Wrote:  I am new to Minimserver. I have a, probably, stupid question on multiple artists or Composers. How should they be separated in the tag for minimserver to see each name as separate? It does not seem to work with ",", ";" or "/"?

Ax

MinimServer does not use a separator character. You need to create multiple tag values by using the separator character defined by your tagging program. For example, the Mp3tag separator for multiple tag values is '\\' and the dBpoweramp separator is ';'. Which tagging program are you using?
02-02-2014, 20:02
RE: how to separate multiple artists or composers in tag for Minimserver to read
(02-02-2014 17:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 16:58)DerAx Wrote:  I am new to Minimserver. I have a, probably, stupid question on multiple artists or Composers. How should they be separated in the tag for minimserver to see each name as separate? It does not seem to work with ",", ";" or "/"?

Ax

MinimServer does not use a separator character. You need to create multiple tag values by using the separator character defined by your tagging program. For example, the Mp3tag separator for multiple tag values is '\\' and the dBpoweramp separator is ';'. Which tagging program are you using?

Ok. I use Mediamonkey to manage my music. In MM i can set multiple artists by using ";". When i try using ";", that does not work in Minimserver (or I am doing something wrong...).

Great server btw! Wish i could use it thru AppleTV to display album art!
02-02-2014, 20:16
(02-02-2014 20:02)DerAx Wrote:  Ok. I use Mediamonkey to manage my music. In MM i can set multiple artists by using ";". When i try using ";", that does not work in Minimserver (or I am doing something wrong...).

What type of files are you tagging in this way (e.g., MP3, FLAC, MP4, M4A, ALAC)?

If MediaMonkey is writing a ';' character into the tag value, this won't work with MinimServer. The tagging standards (and MinimServer) require this to be written as two separate values for the tag.
02-02-2014, 20:29
(02-02-2014 20:16)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 20:02)DerAx Wrote:  Ok. I use Mediamonkey to manage my music. In MM i can set multiple artists by using ";". When i try using ";", that does not work in Minimserver (or I am doing something wrong...).

What type of files are you tagging in this way (e.g., MP3, FLAC, MP4, M4A, ALAC)?

If MediaMonkey is writing a ';' character into the tag value, this won't work with MinimServer. The tagging standards (and MinimServer) require this to be written as two separate values for the tag.

i will have to check. I mostly use ALAVC but also FLAC. How do i check i MediaMonkey writes the character into the tag value (seems like this is the case)? I then have to use what, MP3Tag? I´ll check with MediaMonkey Forums on the issue as well.
02-02-2014, 21:55
(02-02-2014 20:29)DerAx Wrote:  I will have to check. I mostly use ALAVC but also FLAC. How do i check i MediaMonkey writes the character into the tag value (seems like this is the case)? I then have to use what, MP3Tag? I´ll check with MediaMonkey Forums on the issue as well.

If you are seeing this as a ';' in the artist name shown by MinimServer, it is being written into the tag value by MediaMonkey.

Mp3tag is very good and it produces tag values that work correctly with MinimServer. It's also easy to use Mp3tag to convert existing tags with ';' separators to the correct multivalue format.
02-02-2014, 22:29
(02-02-2014 21:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 20:29)DerAx Wrote:  I will have to check. I mostly use ALAVC but also FLAC. How do i check i MediaMonkey writes the character into the tag value (seems like this is the case)? I then have to use what, MP3Tag? I´ll check with MediaMonkey Forums on the issue as well.

If you are seeing this as a ';' in the artist name shown by MinimServer, it is being written into the tag value by MediaMonkey.

Mp3tag is very good and it produces tag values that work correctly with MinimServer. It's also easy to use Mp3tag to convert existing tags with ';' separators to the correct multivalue format.

Ok, great. I will give it a try and report back. Tomorrow. Thx for swift replies!
02-02-2014, 22:31
Btw, I do see a ";" in the artis name.