Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding sub folders on Synology
28-01-2014, 15:10 (This post was last modified: 28-01-2014 15:11 by sph2701.)
Adding sub folders on Synology
Hello All,
This is all new to me, so my advance apologies if this has been covered..

I now have two Synology nas drives, the DS112J.
The first is up, running and perfect with Minimserver.
It has exactly the file structure I want, and the apps I use for the electronics all work just fine with it.
The file structure has a main folder called Music (obvious) and inside that are sub folders of cd rips, 24bit, DSD, OST, etc etc.
I even managed to add a folder called Christmas Music a month back.

Problem is that it is completely full..

So I purchased a new one, with a 3Tb drive this time Blush
With the help of the tutorials here I have minim server up and running, I have the main folder called Music, to which I uploaded a WAV converted to FLAC in DB power amp.
It streams perfectly.
So I *know* I have something correct.
I have spent nearly three days trying to add sub folders to that main folder, and have reached the point of very nearly picking up the hammer.
I can create folder after folder, and add music to them, but then need to change where minim looks for that music (its location)

If anyone has any idea what to do here I would really appreciate the help.

The obvious question - why not do what you did before?
Well, lets just say a dear friend set this up for me, and is no longer available for help.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2014, 20:09 (This post was last modified: 28-01-2014 20:12 by winxi.)
RE: Adding sub folders on Synology
(28-01-2014 15:10)sph2701 Wrote:  Hello All,
This is all new to me, so my advance apologies if this has been covered..

I now have two Synology nas drives, the DS112J.
The first is up, running and perfect with Minimserver.
It has exactly the file structure I want, and the apps I use for the electronics all work just fine with it.
The file structure has a main folder called Music (obvious) and inside that are sub folders of cd rips, 24bit, DSD, OST, etc etc.
I even managed to add a folder called Christmas Music a month back.

Problem is that it is completely full..

So I purchased a new one, with a 3Tb drive this time Blush
With the help of the tutorials here I have minim server up and running, I have the main folder called Music, to which I uploaded a WAV converted to FLAC in DB power amp.
It streams perfectly.
So I *know* I have something correct.
I have spent nearly three days trying to add sub folders to that main folder, and have reached the point of very nearly picking up the hammer.
I can create folder after folder, and add music to them, but then need to change where minim looks for that music (its location)

If anyone has any idea what to do here I would really appreciate the help.

The obvious question - why not do what you did before?
Well, lets just say a dear friend set this up for me, and is no longer available for help.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

Hi,
I'm not sure if I fully understand your problem. How did you create the subdirectories in the Music folder? Did you use the Synology File Station? What is your contentDir setting in MinimWatch?
You probably want to set contentDir to /volume1/Music. Please note that MinimServer requires a rescan in order to index newly added files to your content directory or to its subdirectories.
28-01-2014, 20:45
Hi Winxi,
Thank you for your time here.
My main problem is I **WANT** to create sub directories in the main music folder on the new drive.
The main 'MUSIC' directory exists, and Minim can see it and play music from it - I'm listening to the one that resides in it right now.
What I would like to add are further sub folders in this main folder - so I can keep everything tidy.
Sub folders such as CD Rips, DSD, 24Bit, OST etc.
I have tried every which way to achieve this with file station and all you get is a whole bunch of new 'main' folders.
I have searched high and low on the internet for an answer.
I know it can happen as the other drive has just that - if only I could clone that (tried via a bit of software (acronis) but it needs to be part of a pc I think)
Any clues would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,

Steve.
28-01-2014, 20:57
(28-01-2014 20:45)sph2701 Wrote:  Hi Winxi,
Thank you for your time here.
My main problem is I **WANT** to create sub directories in the main music folder on the new drive.
The main 'MUSIC' directory exists, and Minim can see it and play music from it - I'm listening to the one that resides in it right now.
What I would like to add are further sub folders in this main folder - so I can keep everything tidy.
Sub folders such as CD Rips, DSD, 24Bit, OST etc.
I have tried every which way to achieve this with file station and all you get is a whole bunch of new 'main' folders.
I have searched high and low on the internet for an answer.
I know it can happen as the other drive has just that - if only I could clone that (tried via a bit of software (acronis) but it needs to be part of a pc I think)
Any clues would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,

Steve.

To create a subdirectory in the Music folder
1) Open the Synology File Station and navigate to the Music folder.
2) Click onto the button 'Create' and then on 'Create folder'.
Is this what you want to do?

Cloning the HDD is a bit more complicated. Did you get a new Synology Disk Station or just a new HDD?
28-01-2014, 21:40
Hi Winxi
I think that is what should happen, but in reality I end up with another new folder outside of the music folder?
I have tried several times (both shared and just folder) from file station, got to the music folder, highlighted it, and clicked create.
Same every time, a new folder outside of the main music folder.
I have copied files to this and they can be played from Minim, IF I point Minim to that specific folder?
Obviously, what I want is that new folder to be under Music and for it then to be seen by Minim.
Bizarre or what..
I got a whole new DS112J, so now I have two.. The spare will come in handy for backups shortly.
28-01-2014, 21:47
This is truly insane.
I have just gone back to the new drive, done exactly what I have before and what you have listed above, and - yup, it has worked.
Three flipping days, and then after all that…
Computers, I just love them at times like this!

So - whatever happened in the meantime, I have no idea.
Now I can upload a TB of tunes over the next few days Smile

Winxi, thank you for trying, it is really appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.
28-01-2014, 21:58
(28-01-2014 21:47)sph2701 Wrote:  This is truly insane.
I have just gone back to the new drive, done exactly what I have before and what you have listed above, and - yup, it has worked.
Three flipping days, and then after all that…
Computers, I just love them at times like this!

So - whatever happened in the meantime, I have no idea.
Now I can upload a TB of tunes over the next few days Smile

Winxi, thank you for trying, it is really appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

I'm glad that you got it working!
When you click on 'Create' in the Synology file station, there should be two options:
1) Create folder
2) Create New Shared Folder

'Create folder' will create a subdirectory in the current selection and 'Create New Shared Folder' will create a new top-level directory. In Synology terminology, the latter is called 'Shared Folder'.