Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer on Asustor
29-03-2014, 16:33 (This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 16:52 by Briain.)
RE: MinimServer on Asustor
Hi Folks

I have just been looking at the Asustor AS-302T and 602T and I note that the prices are extremely low when compared to the equivalent specification Qnap models. I also note that all their optional packagers are pretty much up to date (versions of JRE and Mono, etc) whereas Qnap seem to be making absolutely no attempts to update many of their packages, so it looks like an excellent choice of unit. Has anyone else made a similar move from Qnap to Asustor and wishes to make any comments on these devices (I am not at all familiar with them)? I would guess that being a new company, the packages within the NAS firmware will also be pretty much up to date, so that does make it rather an attractive unit to consider.

I am not planning any immediate move for myself, but I do have to advise a good friend (actually a Linn dealer) on his next NAS purchase (he's struggling with his ageing D-Link DNS-323 and wonky Twonky) and as well as their ludicrously high prices, I am also getting a tad disappointed with Qnap's lack of progress on updating their antiquated QPKG packages and system files; heck, at these prices, I might even eventually be tempted by a 302T (with a couple of big disks in RAID 1) to replace my own TS-659 (which has a stack of 1 TB enterprise disks in RAID 6).

Bri Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2014, 12:09
(29-03-2014 16:33)Briain Wrote:  Hi Folks

I have just been looking at the Asustor AS-302T and 602T and I note that the prices are extremely low when compared to the equivalent specification Qnap models. I also note that all their optional packagers are pretty much up to date (versions of JRE and Mono, etc) whereas Qnap seem to be making absolutely no attempts to update many of their packages, so it looks like an excellent choice of unit. Has anyone else made a similar move from Qnap to Asustor and wishes to make any comments on these devices (I am not at all familiar with them)? I would guess that being a new company, the packages within the NAS firmware will also be pretty much up to date, so that does make it rather an attractive unit to consider.

I am not planning any immediate move for myself, but I do have to advise a good friend (actually a Linn dealer) on his next NAS purchase (he's struggling with his ageing D-Link DNS-323 and wonky Twonky) and as well as their ludicrously high prices, I am also getting a tad disappointed with Qnap's lack of progress on updating their antiquated QPKG packages and system files; heck, at these prices, I might even eventually be tempted by a 302T (with a couple of big disks in RAID 1) to replace my own TS-659 (which has a stack of 1 TB enterprise disks in RAID 6).

Bri Smile

My impression of the AS-302T is positive so far. It is very quiet in operation and seems to provide good functionality and value for money, with an impressive selection of third-party packages.
05-04-2014, 14:08 (This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 14:10 by Briain.)
Hi

I was getting very tempted and I even walked through the simulated settings pages, but whilst doing that, I noticed that it doesn't come with a TFTP server (which is something I quite often use) so I'll keep my eye on things to see how they develop it in the near future (hopefully they'll add that, and maybe a few other toys that are currently absent). It certainly looks very interesting and in the UK, the 602 price is a lot more attractive than the nearest Qnap equivalent (and it's very, very nice that the optional packages that I checked were all up to date).

Bri Smile
04-08-2014, 17:30
The official MinimServer package for ASUSTOR is now available. See this page for download and installation instructions.
18-08-2014, 15:55
(04-08-2014 17:30)simoncn Wrote:  The official MinimServer package for ASUSTOR is now available. See this page for download and installation instructions.

MinimServer for ASUSTOR is now available as an official ASUSTOR package from App Central. If you have already installed MinimServer 0.8.2 from the MinimServer downloads page, you don't need to reinstall the App Central version.