Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convolving possible?
06-05-2014, 20:11 (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 20:14 by ogs.)
RE: Convolving possible?
(17-01-2014 18:28)simoncn Wrote:  There is no possibility that I could implement a convolving plug-in.

Brutefir is Linux only. For Logitech Media Server there is a BrutefirDRC plugin based on a Python wrapper script. It may be possible to adapt this to work with MinimServer. Works in std input/output. I am not a programmer myself, but I believe a programmer like simoncn could look at brutefirwrapper and quickly see if it would be possible to make it work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2015, 17:40
What if we replace ffmpeg value in MininWatch->System->stream.converter with a suitable executable (e.g. a wrapper for brutefir)? What is the API in that case?

Thanks
-Roberto
06-01-2015, 20:57
(06-01-2015 17:40)robertopisa Wrote:  What if we replace ffmpeg value in MininWatch->System->stream.converter with a suitable executable (e.g. a wrapper for brutefir)? What is the API in that case?

Thanks
-Roberto

The replacement executable would need to be named ffmpeg or avconv and it would need to implement all the options that MinimServer passes to ffmpeg or avconv. You can find out what these options are by changing the MinimServer logging level to Debug and looking at the log output.
06-01-2015, 21:37
(17-01-2014 12:21)simoncn Wrote:  I would be interested in exploring the possibility of adding a plug-in capability in a future release of MinimStreamer to enable third-party processing of an linear PCM stream (WAV, L16, L24 or AIFF). The plug-in would need to be an executable that reads the original input stream from standard input and writes the modified output stream to standard output. The plug-in would need to have its own configuration file that is separate from the minimserver.config file.

OOOO!!

Now I'm salivating! I believe I've asked for a similar request before!
I seriously think this would be an absolute killer functionality for minim server and minim streamer. As it is today, I'm using both minim and the original synology upnp servers indiscriminately, I am giving the nod to minim server because of it's nicer implementation for tags, but it's not a major advantage. Also, I admire simoncn's efforts and would like to support this development.

However, implementing a server-side convolver functionality is a major game-changer, that may well turn the existing manufacturer trends upside down. (Big words? I don't know).

For those of us who wouldn't consider a computer as a source (plenty of reasons why) and having invested multitude in existing audio equipment a server-side room correction would be a major boon and a feature I'd be willing to pay at least $ 100 for.

Why? Well, I'd have my FLACs untouched (for headphone listening), but on-the-fly transcoded to eliminate deficiencies in room setup (of which there are plenty) without having to invest in proprietary (EXAKT, ANTHEM) or computer-based (Dirac, Amarra, etc) front-ends, which in terms of audio are deficient to other products..

Man oh man, can we not kick-start a project like this?
06-01-2015, 22:36
(06-01-2015 21:37)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  OOOO!!

Now I'm salivating! I believe I've asked for a similar request before!
I seriously think this would be an absolute killer functionality for minim server and minim streamer. As it is today, I'm using both minim and the original synology upnp servers indiscriminately, I am giving the nod to minim server because of it's nicer implementation for tags, but it's not a major advantage. Also, I admire simoncn's efforts and would like to support this development.

However, implementing a server-side convolver functionality is a major game-changer, that may well turn the existing manufacturer trends upside down. (Big words? I don't know).

For those of us who wouldn't consider a computer as a source (plenty of reasons why) and having invested multitude in existing audio equipment a server-side room correction would be a major boon and a feature I'd be willing to pay at least $ 100 for.

Why? Well, I'd have my FLACs untouched (for headphone listening), but on-the-fly transcoded to eliminate deficiencies in room setup (of which there are plenty) without having to invest in proprietary (EXAKT, ANTHEM) or computer-based (Dirac, Amarra, etc) front-ends, which in terms of audio are deficient to other products..

Man oh man, can we not kick-start a project like this?

At present I am unable to put any time into this. Someone else would need to take the lead and implement a prototype using the approach I described in this post. This approach doesn't require any change to MinimServer or MinimStreamer.

If the results are as exciting as you are expecting and the prototype attracts a good number of users, the next stage could be to create a documented plug-in API in MinimStreamer that could be used by this plug-in and potentially other plug-ins in the future.
06-01-2015, 23:49
Thanks Simon, I can wrap brutefir during my sparetime and give a try.

(06-01-2015 20:57)simoncn Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 17:40)robertopisa Wrote:  What if we replace ffmpeg value in MininWatch->System->stream.converter with a suitable executable (e.g. a wrapper for brutefir)? What is the API in that case?

Thanks
-Roberto

The replacement executable would need to be named ffmpeg or avconv and it would need to implement all the options that MinimServer passes to ffmpeg or avconv. You can find out what these options are by changing the MinimServer logging level to Debug and looking at the log output.
07-01-2015, 07:19
(06-01-2015 23:49)robertopisa Wrote:  Thanks Simon, I can wrap brutefir during my sparetime and give a try.

Have you looked at brutefirwrapper from the BrutefirDRC plugin? It is very mature code. Maybe you can get some inspiration from it. One of the strong features of brutefirwrapper is that it switches sample rates transparently.
23-03-2015, 14:51
Well now...
It seems this is no longer an issue, at least for us LINN DS owners, since LINN has just introduced SPACE optimisation, which, in it's core is a PEQ functionality.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to test the functionality, but I have no doubt it will mature as something truly useful (if it isn't already)

Simon, this validates your decision not to involve development hours on minimstreamer on this issue.

So glad I bought LINN and not LUMIN Wink
23-03-2015, 16:27 (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 23:33 by DavidHB.)
(23-03-2015 14:51)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  LINN has just introduced SPACE optimisation ... I haven't been able to test the functionality, but I have no doubt it will mature as something truly useful

I have just set up SPACE optimisation on the Kiko system in my bedroom. I did this first, because it is a considerably easier process than for the ADSM system in my living room, where there are issues with both dimensions and room layout.

For my simple case, the process, including before and after testing, measuring the room and inputting the measurements, took about 45 minutes. The SPACE calculation identified only one room node (at 50Hz in my case), so it was easy to do A-B testing. The process did not turn the Kiko into a KDSM ("thank goodness", I hear Simon say), but the improvement in clarity and presence is very noticeable, and it came for free, with a Konfig update.

The bottom line in the MinimServer context is that the adjustments required are specific to the given combination of player/speakers and listening room. This is, I guess, not something that can sensibly be implemented on the server side, so I agree with Linn_agnostik's conclusion in this regard.

David
03-04-2015, 09:44
Hi,

(23-03-2015 14:51)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  It seems this is no longer an issue, at least for us LINN DS owners

... with compatible speakers :-(

Or is there any way in importing measurements to make my speakers compatible?

Best regards

Claas