Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to start MinimServer - Solved! :)
15-01-2014, 19:53 (This post was last modified: 16-01-2014 19:17 by MusicMad.)
Unable to start MinimServer - Solved! :)
Hi,

I'm new, still finding my way around - setup:
QNAP NAS TS-419P II
FLAC library
LAN-1 to Virgin NetGear Router
Ethernet to Naim NDX

I've had regular problems so far with MinimServer appearing/disappearing from the iPad but having just downloaded update 12 for MinimWatch the Server icon is permanently grey - I get no access.

The Log(Watch) reports:
MinimWatch 0.8.1 update 12, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b17)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
Platform default charset is windows-1252
Startup complete
MinimServer[QNAP419PII] is running
restarting MinimServer[QNAP419PII]
starting MinimServer[QNAP419PII]
Error 1 [Unknown] invoking GetProperty on remote runtime monitor
18:07:21.298 AWT-EventQueue-0: User changed log level: trace
18:07:21.301 Thread-89: saveProperty: compName=null propName=logLevel propValue=trace
18:07:40.078 AWT-EventQueue-0: User changed log level: verbose
18:07:40.080 Thread-90: saveProperty: compName=null propName=logLevel propValue=verbose

Any advice, please? Am I doing something wrong or has update 12 caused this issue?

Many thanks,
Mitch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 20:33
RE: Unable to start MinimServer
(15-01-2014 19:53)MusicMad Wrote:  Hi,

I'm new, still finding my way around - setup:
QNAP NAS TS-419P II
FLAC library
LAN-1 to Virgin NetGear Router
Ethernet to Naim NDX

I've had regular problems so far with MinimServer appearing/disappearing from the iPad but having just downloaded update 12 for MinimWatch the Server icon is permanently grey - I get no access.

The Log(Watch) reports:
MinimWatch 0.8.1 update 12, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b17)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
Platform default charset is windows-1252
Startup complete
restarting MinimServer[QNAP419PII]
starting MinimServer[QNAP419PII]
Error 1 [Unknown] invoking GetProperty on remote runtime monitor
18:07:21.298 AWT-EventQueue-0: User changed log level: trace
18:07:21.301 Thread-89: saveProperty: compName=null propName=logLevel propValue=trace
18:07:40.078 AWT-EventQueue-0: User changed log level: verbose
18:07:40.080 Thread-90: saveProperty: compName=null propName=logLevel propValue=verbose

Any advice, please? Am I doing something wrong or has update 12 caused this issue?

Many thanks,
Mitch

This might be a Windows firewall issue. It looks like MinimWatch detected that MinimServer had started, but wasn't able to invoke GetProperty successfully. Please try completely disabling the firewall on your PC to see if that makes a difference. There are no changes in update 12 that would be related to this issue.
15-01-2014, 21:13
Thank you for the speedy reply, Simon.

The Windows 7 PC has Trend Micro Security Agent (I hate it!) and I logged in and disabled it - got warnings to start Firewall, etc. I'm afraid to no effect - MinimServer is still greyed out.

I restarted the PC earlier to see if that was the problem.

The only other thing I'm doing concurrently is taking a backup of my QNAP library onto an External HDD, administered through the PC.

Mitch
15-01-2014, 22:06 (This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 22:07 by simoncn.)
(15-01-2014 21:13)MusicMad Wrote:  Thank you for the speedy reply, Simon.

The Windows 7 PC has Trend Micro Security Agent (I hate it!) and I logged in and disabled it - got warnings to start Firewall, etc. I'm afraid to no effect - MinimServer is still greyed out.

I restarted the PC earlier to see if that was the problem.

The only other thing I'm doing concurrently is taking a backup of my QNAP library onto an External HDD, administered through the PC.

Mitch

Is it possible that there is a firewall running on the NAS that is blocking the inbound connection from MinimWatch to MinimServer?

Are you able to access MinimServer from UPnP control points?

Does the PC have more than one active network adapter (real or virtual)?
16-01-2014, 19:15
Hi Simon,

Thank you for the follow-up and my apologies for the delay in replying. It has been a fortuitous delay, however, as I decided to turn the NAS off this morning before departing (for another reason re: my intention to swap drives) but returned late so simply turned it back on ... only to find that MinimServer appeared on the iPad and starts fine on the PC.

I can't explain any of this and I'm afraid my simple brain can't answer your queries. I know that the QNAP has anti-virus but a firewall? What do you mean by UPnP control points? Active network adapter (real or virtual) - sorry this is meaningless to me?

Now that all is working again I'm a happy man and can return to other matters ...

Very many thanks for your input - it is much appreciated.

Mitch
16-01-2014, 20:11
RE: Unable to start MinimServer - Solved! :)
(16-01-2014 19:15)MusicMad Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Thank you for the follow-up and my apologies for the delay in replying. It has been a fortuitous delay, however, as I decided to turn the NAS off this morning before departing (for another reason re: my intention to swap drives) but returned late so simply turned it back on ... only to find that MinimServer appeared on the iPad and starts fine on the PC.

I can't explain any of this and I'm afraid my simple brain can't answer your queries. I know that the QNAP has anti-virus but a firewall? What do you mean by UPnP control points? Active network adapter (real or virtual) - sorry this is meaningless to me?

Now that all is working again I'm a happy man and can return to other matters ...

Very many thanks for your input - it is much appreciated.

Mitch

I'm pleased to hear this reboot has solved the problem. This sometimes happens with network discovery problems.

The UPnP control point is the application that you use to browse and play your music, such as Linn Kinsky, BubbleUPnP, Naim n-stream, etc.

We can leave the other topics for now. It seems the issue is probably related to network multicast discovery (more technical jargon). Please let me know if it happens again.