Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Show log" window is empty, but the log file is'nt
12-01-2014, 02:08
"Show log" window is empty, but the log file is'nt
Simon,
I have a minor issue when executing "Properties > Show log" to look for possible problems with my files. During a rescan, I can see the log messages being displayed. I then close the log window (without doing a "Clear"). If I then reexecute the "Properties > Show log", the log window comes up *empty*. If I open the physical log file, I can however see that the log messages from the just executed rescan are there.

I am running latest version of minimserver on Win 7, with log level set to "verbose". The physical log file is now about 3.7 MB long. Could the size of the log file exceed the capabilities of the log window ?

Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2014, 09:00
RE: "Show log" window is empty, but the log file is'nt
(12-01-2014 02:08)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  Simon,
I have a minor issue when executing "Properties > Show log" to look for possible problems with my files. During a rescan, I can see the log messages being displayed. I then close the log window (without doing a "Clear"). If I then reexecute the "Properties > Show log", the log window comes up *empty*. If I open the physical log file, I can however see that the log messages from the just executed rescan are there.

I am running latest version of minimserver on Win 7, with log level set to "verbose". The physical log file is now about 3.7 MB long. Could the size of the log file exceed the capabilities of the log window ?

Regards

MinimServer assumes the disk space available for the log file is unlimited, so it never clears or truncates this file. You can delete it manually while MinimServer is running, and MinimServer will recreate it and continue writing entries.

The log window is limited to 500,000 characters and is automatically pruned as necessary to prevent it becoming larger than this.

The log window is backed by an in-memory log buffer. This log buffer is also limited to 500,000 characters. Clearing the log window clears the log buffer (since 0.8.1) but doesn't affect the log file.

When the log window is closed and reopened, its contents should be refreshed from the log buffer. I have tried the scenario you described, and for some reason this isn't happening.

I will investigate what is causing this. Thanks for reporting this problem.
13-01-2014, 09:08
(12-01-2014 09:00)simoncn Wrote:  When the log window is closed and reopened, its contents should be refreshed from the log buffer. I have tried the scenario you described, and for some reason this isn't happening.

I will investigate what is causing this. Thanks for reporting this problem.

This problem is caused by a bug in some code that was changed for update 14. I will release a new update soon with a fix for this. Many thanks!
13-01-2014, 17:40
(13-01-2014 09:08)simoncn Wrote:  This problem is caused by a bug in some code that was changed for update 14. I will release a new update soon with a fix for this. Many thanks!

This fix is now available in MinimServer update 15 and MinimWatch update 12.