Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zyxel NSA 310
01-01-2014, 14:03
Zyxel NSA 310
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, so be kindBig Grin

I previously used the MinimServer on my Macbook and loved its functionality and ease of use. I recently got given a Zyxel NSA 310 NAS Drive, but I am hating the twonky server it has installed.

Is there any way to install the MinimServer on this device and if so how would I go about it?

The Zyxel NAS 310 is currently hardwired (by ethernet) to my Naim SuperUniti.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 16:52
RE: Zyxel NSA 310
(01-01-2014 14:03)nick2413 Wrote:  Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, so be kindBig Grin

I previously used the MinimServer on my Macbook and loved its functionality and ease of use. I recently got given a Zyxel NSA 310 NAS Drive, but I am hating the twonky server it has installed.

Is there any way to install the MinimServer on this device and if so how would I go about it?

The Zyxel NAS 310 is currently hardwired (by ethernet) to my Naim SuperUniti.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

If you are familiar with Linux, you might be able to install the generic Linux ARM package using the instructions on this page.
01-01-2014, 20:02
Simon,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have any understanding of linux whatsoever... the instructions look very complicated, so I feel its best not to attempt anything.

Regards,

Nick
01-01-2014, 21:12
(01-01-2014 20:02)nick2413 Wrote:  Simon,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have any understanding of linux whatsoever... the instructions look very complicated, so I feel its best not to attempt anything.

Regards,

Nick

I understand, and I'm sorry there isn't a more convenient solution. The current situation where each brand of NAS uses a slightly different version of Linux and a different approach for installing add-on packages is very unsatisfactory for both users and developers.
06-01-2014, 20:24
So I've decided that twonky is useless enough for me to buy another NAS drive, one which supports Minim. I note the installation guides, but does anyone have any idea which NAS drive would be easiest to install Minim on. I've been looking at the Netgear ReadyNas v2?

Many thanks in advance,

nick
06-01-2014, 20:38
(06-01-2014 20:24)nick2413 Wrote:  So I've decided that twonky is useless enough for me to buy another NAS drive, one which supports Minim. I note the installation guides, but does anyone have any idea which NAS drive would be easiest to install Minim on. I've been looking at the Netgear ReadyNas v2?

Many thanks in advance,

nick

I presume this is either the ReadyNAS Duo v2 or ReadyNAS NV+ v2. I have a Duo v2 myself and I think it provides excellent value for money. It is quiet in operation and it is easy to install Java and MinimServer.

On the downside, there are very few other applications available for this model, and it is now "orphaned" by NETGEAR so this situation will not improve.
07-01-2014, 00:27
(06-01-2014 20:38)simoncn Wrote:  I presume this is either the ReadyNAS Duo v2 or ReadyNAS NV+ v2. I have a Duo v2 myself and I think it provides excellent value for money. It is quiet in operation and it is easy to install Java and MinimServer.

On the downside, there are very few other applications available for this model, and it is now "orphaned" by NETGEAR so this situation will not improve.

I too have a Duo v2, and fully concur in Simon's comments. If you can get one at a good price, and are not unduly worried by the dearth of applications (because, for example, MinimServer does run on it, and the media server (ReadyDNLA) works pretty well), you will probably do well with it.

David
07-01-2014, 21:12
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the replies. Yes I'm looking at the ReadyNas Duo V2, have found a few on e-bay that seem to be priced pretty well (diskless), so I'll hopefully pick one of these up asap. Not too fussed about applications tbh, would just like to avoid twonky wherever possible. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again, appreciate it.

Nick
09-01-2014, 19:44
Sorry, one more question.

Will I simply be able to take the HD out of my Zyxel NAS and slot it into the ReadyNas Due v2? Does it have a sort of plug and play functionality? Or would I have to format the disk and re-transfer all my music over?

Cheers,

nick
09-01-2014, 20:09
(09-01-2014 19:44)nick2413 Wrote:  Sorry, one more question.

Will I simply be able to take the HD out of my Zyxel NAS and slot it into the ReadyNas Due v2? Does it have a sort of plug and play functionality? Or would I have to format the disk and re-transfer all my music over?

Cheers,

nick

You will need to back up your music, then remove all partitions from the disk (using fdisk or similar) before the ReadyNAS Duo v2 will accept it.