Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ArchLinux Package
27-12-2013, 21:35
ArchLinux Package
Hi there,

I am currently setting up a small server for a NAS based on ArchLinux. For this, I wanted to make an minimserver package (as well as an minimwatch package that is). Since AL is using systemd, this package will also contain startup scripts for this environment.

Unfortunately the License of Minimserver does not allow me to build packages, no? How do other distros handle this one? Of course minimserver could be installed by each and every user, but IMHO this does not seem to be very "intuitive". At least I would like to provide the startup scripts and probably you could add those to the setup mechanism?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2013, 16:27
RE: ArchLinux Package
(27-12-2013 21:35)triplem Wrote:  Hi there,

I am currently setting up a small server for a NAS based on ArchLinux. For this, I wanted to make an minimserver package (as well as an minimwatch package that is). Since AL is using systemd, this package will also contain startup scripts for this environment.

Unfortunately the License of Minimserver does not allow me to build packages, no? How do other distros handle this one? Of course minimserver could be installed by each and every user, but IMHO this does not seem to be very "intuitive". At least I would like to provide the startup scripts and probably you could add those to the setup mechanism?

You are correct that the MinimServer license doesn't allow the MinimServer files to be repackaged and redistributed.

My intention is to provide Linux packages for MinimServer that enable individual users to download and install MinimServer from the MinimServer website. The recent changes to the packaging and startup scripts are intended to make this simpler for users than the previous approach of shipping a "bare" .tar.gz archive.

I am aware that the minimserver/bin/setup script that is packaged with MinimServer doesn't support configuring MinimServer automatic startup on distributions that don't use the System V /etc/init.d mechanism. If you would like to provide the equivalent code to do this for Arch Linux, I will look at adding this to the minimserver/bin/setup script in a future release of MinimServer.

As far as I know, the other scripts (except for minimserver/bin/setup) shouldn't need any changes to work with other distributions. Is this correct for Arch Linux?
01-01-2014, 13:31 (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 13:32 by triplem.)
Your assumption, that only the setup script needs some adoption is pretty much correct. This is mainly due to the fact, that AL is using systemd instead of /etc/init.d.

I guess, that this should be done in a pretty flexible way, since e.g. Ubuntu is using upstart nowadays instead of SysV, so I guess that SysV is going to shift away in the (not so far) future and being replaced by upstart and/or systemd.

How do you like me to provide the upstart script? I guess I am going to provide a script to start minimserver and put this in a thread.
01-01-2014, 14:44
Please find attached the systemd start-script. This already makes an assumption on the installation path of the scripts to start/stop the service. Most probably this should be adopted ;-)

Code:
[Unit]
Description=MinimServer

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/share/minimserver/startd.sh
ExecStop=/usr/share/minimserver/stopall.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=network.target

Hope this helps. I am currently in the process to provide a PKGBUILD for AL, which builds the whole package. Probably this could help you as well?
02-01-2014, 19:27
(01-01-2014 14:44)triplem Wrote:  Please find attached the systemd start-script. This already makes an assumption on the installation path of the scripts to start/stop the service. Most probably this should be adopted ;-)

Code:
[Unit]
Description=MinimServer

[Service]

[Install]
WantedBy=network.target

Hope this helps. I am currently in the process to provide a PKGBUILD for AL, which builds the whole package. Probably this could help you as well?

Thanks for this. For SystemV init, the minimserver/bin/setup script constructs the installation path based on the user's choice of installation directory, and I would expect to use the same approach on other versions of Linux as well.
09-10-2014, 12:05
I have just discovered this thread. I am using minimserver together with HQplayer embedded (see http://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html, minimserver is suggested as upnp server).

I think minimserver should be started as user. Maybe a better way in Archlinux is to name the stystemd service minimserver@.service and start it with the name of your user: systemctl start minimserver@user

The systemd service in this case should be changed to

Code:
[Unit]
Description=MinimServer

[Service]
User=%I

[Install]
WantedBy=network.target
09-10-2014, 18:58
(09-10-2014 12:05)hifi25nl Wrote:  I have just discovered this thread. I am using minimserver together with HQplayer embedded (see http://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html, minimserver is suggested as upnp server).

I think minimserver should be started as user. Maybe a better way in Archlinux is to name the stystemd service minimserver@.service and start it with the name of your user: systemctl start minimserver@user

The systemd service in this case should be changed to

Code:
[Unit]
Description=MinimServer

[Service]
User=%I

[Install]
WantedBy=network.target

On Debian and Ubuntu, MinimServer is started as user, so I think this makes sense for Arch Linux as well.
10-10-2014, 12:58 (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 12:58 by simoncn.)
(09-10-2014 18:58)simoncn Wrote:  On Debian and Ubuntu, MinimServer is started as user, so I think this makes sense for Arch Linux as well.

To clarify, MinimServer is started on Debian and Ubuntu at boot time (not user login) and runs as a specific user. How would this be done with systemd? Specifically:

1) What commands are needed to enable automatic startup?

2) What commands are needed to disable automatic startup?

3) What commands are needed to check whether automatic startup is enabled?

4) What commands are needed to check whether systemd startup is supported?
04-01-2015, 21:41
This support has been added to the 0.8.3b downloads for Linux. If MinimServer (or MinimWatch) is running on a platform that supports systemd and doesn't support System V init, MinimServer (or MinimWatch) will use systemd for automatic startup.