Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample frequency and gapless rendering
23-12-2013, 11:27
Sample frequency and gapless rendering
Two questions.

I have some 96/192 flacs that I can play on one of my players but not the other (due to player limitations). Is there any chance of including downsampling as an option in future?

Now minimserver has the ability to stream, is there any chance of developing the server to also act as a basic renderer (controlled by an external control point), outputting not to an audio device, but to the streamer, so the server/renderer behaves like a radio station? If this could be done, any player could play a media library gapless by playing the stream instead. I have one player that tries to play gapless and almost succeeds, but not always, and another that can't do gapless at all. I already use foobar2000 to do this, but it is a slightly messy solution, and is not native to linux.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2013, 23:40
RE: Sample frequency and gapless rendering
(23-12-2013 11:27)Pastim Wrote:  Two questions.

I have some 96/192 flacs that I can play on one of my players but not the other (due to player limitations). Is there any chance of including downsampling as an option in future?

I will put this on the list of possible enhancements to be considered for a future release.

Quote:Now minimserver has the ability to stream, is there any chance of developing the server to also act as a basic renderer (controlled by an external control point), outputting not to an audio device, but to the streamer, so the server/renderer behaves like a radio station? If this could be done, any player could play a media library gapless by playing the stream instead. I have one player that tries to play gapless and almost succeeds, but not always, and another that can't do gapless at all. I already use foobar2000 to do this, but it is a slightly messy solution, and is not native to linux.

I don't have any plans to add renderer functionality to MinimServer.
25-12-2013, 10:09
(24-12-2013 23:40)simoncn Wrote:  I will put this on the list of possible enhancements to be considered for a future release.
That would be good.

Quote:I don't have any plans to add renderer functionality to MinimServer.
Ah well, one can but ask Smile
A limited, but gapless, renderer that would only play from its own MinimServer and only output a stream via its own MinimStreamer, would have solved the last of my UPnP issues.
22-11-2014, 12:57
(24-12-2013 23:40)simoncn Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 11:27)Pastim Wrote:  I have some 96/192 flacs that I can play on one of my players but not the other (due to player limitations). Is there any chance of including downsampling as an option in future?

I will put this on the list of possible enhancements to be considered for a future release.

Is this already available ? If yes, could I set-up a renderer profile which needs this downsampling, so it's done based on the renderer capabilities
22-11-2014, 13:25
(22-11-2014 12:57)ppienter Wrote:  Is this already available ? If yes, could I set-up a renderer profile which needs this downsampling, so it's done based on the renderer capabilities

Downsampling isn't yet supported. I'm hoping this will be possible in the future.

Also, renderer profiles aren't supported and I haven't made any decision about supporting this in a future release. The recent addition of multiple stream support should handle this for many cases by letting the control point choose which stream to use.
24-11-2014, 14:19
See also this post and subsequent discussion explaining why the server can't send different stream formats to different renderers without some involvement from the control point.