Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synology installation notes
21-12-2013, 04:45 (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 04:47 by magister.)
Synology installation notes
I'm posting these notes in case they help other Synology users get 8.1 running.

As mentioned in the instructions, I received the message about port 9790 not being available. However, the recommended solutions, to wait and then restart if necessary, did not work (despite multiple attempts). I saw that it was "not recommended" to stop or uninstall a previous installation of MinimServer, but I decided to try this since I was getting nowhere. Stopping the server in the Package Center immediately freed up the port.

I initially got directory read errors after upgrading. It turned out that I had to go into Control Panel/User and reset the privileges for the minimserver daemon--these access privileges, which I had set for the previous version, did not survive the upgrade. A restart of MinimServer in the Package Center was then required to get things working right.

I have a DS213, running DSM4.2, if this matters.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2013, 10:54
RE: Synology installation notes
(21-12-2013 04:45)magister Wrote:  I'm posting these notes in case they help other Synology users get 8.1 running.

Hi, thanks for sharing your experiences!

Quote:As mentioned in the instructions, I received the message about port 9790 not being available. However, the recommended solutions, to wait and then restart if necessary, did not work (despite multiple attempts). I saw that it was "not recommended" to stop or uninstall a previous installation of MinimServer, but I decided to try this since I was getting nowhere. Stopping the server in the Package Center immediately freed up the port.

Does this mean that you got this message concerning the reserved port when you tried to upgrade MinimServer?
Basically it should be no problem to uninstall and install MinimServer. It's recommended to upgrade because it requires less clicks and usually shouldnt't give this port message.

Quote:I initially got directory read errors after upgrading. It turned out that I had to go into Control Panel/User and reset the privileges for the minimserver daemon--these access privileges, which I had set for the previous version, did not survive the upgrade. A restart of MinimServer in the Package Center was then required to get things working right.

When you uninstall/install or upgrade MinimServer, the minimserver daemon-user is deleted and recreated with default privilleges. So, if you have your music in a directory which is not accessible by all users, you have to set the special privileges for the minimserver user again.
21-12-2013, 14:07
Thanks for the reply, winxi.

Quote:Does this mean that you got this message concerning the reserved port when you tried to upgrade MinimServer?
Yes, I tried to upgrade.

Quote:Basically it should be no problem to uninstall and install MinimServer. It's recommended to upgrade because it requires less clicks and usually shouldn't give this port message.
I didn't actually uninstall, I just stopped MinimServer. When Simon wrote "not recommended" maybe he just meant "not necessary."

Quote:When you uninstall/install or upgrade MinimServer, the minimserver daemon-user is deleted and recreated with default privilleges. So, if you have your music in a directory which is not accessible by all users, you have to set the special privileges for the minimserver user again.
This makes sense. I am not experienced enough with Synology DSM to have realized this beforehand -- the whole Linux permissions business is different from what I'm used to on Windows. Perhaps Simon could add a sentence in the paragraph about giving permissions to the daemon-user about the need to do this even for an upgrade.
21-12-2013, 19:00
Thanks for these comments. I will update the Synology installation page to clarify the points you have raised.