Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer and Windows Media Player
17-03-2014, 20:29
RE: MinimServer and Windows Media Player
(17-03-2014 16:10)DavidHB Wrote:  In the absence of the screen-shot, I'm guessing that this error message comes from Windows Media Player rather than MinimServer (which, I believe, is working correctly). It sounds as though, when WMP is functioning as a combined UPnP (or, more likely, DNLA) control point and renderer, it bypasses the DirectShow abstraction layer to which the xiph codecs connect and just uses its own codecs, which of course do not include FLAC. Simon will, I am sure, be clearer on this than I am. But I am not surprised by it, because, in my experience, DNLA devices typically support only a rather limited range of formats.

I do not get this problem, I think because I use MinimStreamer to transcode my FLAC files to WAV (or WAV24 in my case). As WMP sees the files as WAV (which it supports natively), they play without difficulty. So transcoding may be a possible workaround for you. However, a better approach may be to use foobar2000 with the fooUPnP plugin, because it has much better usability as a streaming device than WMP, and it does support the FLAC format.

David

I've tried installing these codecs and I'm getting the same results as DavidHB: WMP plays local FLAC files but doesn't play FLAC files streamed from MinimServer. As DavidHB has said, you can either install MinimStreamer and enable WAV transcoding or you can use a different Windows renderer such as foobar2000.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2014, 21:04
(17-03-2014 16:10)DavidHB Wrote:  
(17-03-2014 14:45)nonesup Wrote:  I wrote Windows Media Server instead of Windows Media Player, besides surely Google Translate translation is not entirely reliable.
What I mean is that I have installed codecs flac xiph.org.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't want to assume that you meant Windows Media Player.

Quote:If I from my PC on the network navigate to the directory of the NAS and I double click on a flac file then VMP opens and plays the file correctly.
But if I open VMP and agree to minimserver library, taught me that I have the albums but when trying to play gives me error says it does not recognize the file type.

In the absence of the screen-shot, I'm guessing that this error message comes from Windows Media Player rather than MinimServer (which, I believe, is working correctly). It sounds as though, when WMP is functioning as a combined UPnP (or, more likely, DNLA) control point and renderer, it bypasses the DirectShow abstraction layer to which the xiph codecs connect and just uses its own codecs, which of course do not include FLAC. Simon will, I am sure, be clearer on this than I am. But I am not surprised by it, because, in my experience, DNLA devices typically support only a rather limited range of formats.

I do not get this problem, I think because I use MinimStreamer to transcode my FLAC files to WAV (or WAV24 in my case). As WMP sees the files as WAV (which it supports natively), they play without difficulty. So transcoding may be a possible workaround for you. However, a better approach may be to use foobar2000 with the fooUPnP plugin, because it has much better usability as a streaming device than WMP, and it does support the FLAC format.

David
Hello.
I installed foobar2000, but I find the plug in fooUPnP. Where can I find it?
thanks
17-03-2014, 21:12
(17-03-2014 21:04)nonesup Wrote:  Hello.
I installed foobar2000, but I find the plug in fooUPnP. Where can I find it?
thanks

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp
17-03-2014, 23:38
When you use the link provided by Simon, I suggest that you follow the further link to the documentation, which is worth reading carefully. In particular, I found the suggestions on layout very helpful; the sample layout provided integrates the browse tree very well into the player.

David