Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to MinimStreamer!
04-01-2014, 22:03 (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 22:17 by simoncn.)
RE: Welcome to MinimStreamer!
(17-12-2013 22:32)scrutney2 Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Firstly, many thanks for 0.8.1 - the Artist container is now correctly displaying all my tracks without an AlbumArtist tag! Smile

Now, onto transcoding, which is the other feature I've been looking forward to... I've installed MinimStreamer and added alac:wav24 to the stream.transcode property (my files are ALAC on a Synology DS110j and my player is a Linn Majik DS); the stream.converter property is set to the default ffmpeg, which I believe should work? However, when I play a track there is no sound! The track counts down as if it is playing and Kinsky shows that it is WAV format.. But no music. Undecided

I think I've followed the user guide correctly - is there anything I've overlooked?

Simon

(21-12-2013 09:27)Nebula Wrote:  Hello Simon,

Same here setup everything on my DS413 and trancoded FLAC and ALAC files ---> no sound on Pioneer BDP LX55. MP3's etc play fine. So awaiting your update.

Best regards,

Tom.

(21-12-2013 14:00)advr Wrote:  I tried several options, wav, wav16, wav24 and no sound. It's playing a and I see wav, 16 bits or 24 bits when playing but no sound. after I delete the transcoding to wav, the mp3 sound is back as a mp3.

don't have a solution yet

The problem with transcoding ALAC/AAC/MP3 streams on Synology is now fixed in MinimStreamer 0.3.7.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 12:19 (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 12:50 by advr.)
(04-01-2014 22:03)simoncn Wrote:  The problem with transcoding ALAC/AAC/MP3 streams on Synology is now fixed in MinimStreamer 0.3.7.

Thanks, will try it in a moment.
Updating Minimstreamer is very easy now!!Big Grin

Edit: MP3:WAV is working perfect, other translations I cannot test because I don't use them. :-)
06-01-2014, 13:17
(19-12-2013 18:07)retraite Wrote:  Thanks for the response. Apology is not warranted as I have quite enjoyed experimenting with a feature on radio that I have always rated highly when applied to the FLAC files on my home network. It also isn’t as if radio is not available through my system.

I have a few more observations on transcoded streams if they are of interest. The first is that I now have all three flavours of Linn Radio installed. Using my QNAP 459 and the Klimax DS all drop out between 3 minutes and 3minutes 20 seconds after selection. On Radio Paradise, the 128 AAC version will run for in excess of 15 minutes, but the 192 mp3 variant will run for only between 8 and 8 1/2 minutes. Using AAC for BBC Radios 2 and 4 and the 320 mp3 BBC Radio 3, I’m consistently getting in excess of 30 minutes without drop out. I will run the BBC stations until they actually do drop out tomorrow, but I haven’t had enough time as yet.

Having no technical knowledge at all, I don’t know if there are any differences in how each broadcaster provides their content, but the BBC’s output does seem to be much more amenable to what you are trying to do than Linn’s.

I appreciate that there are many other aspects of your latest development requiring your attention, so I'll just say that I would be happy to try to help as and when requested.

Once again my thanks for your attention.

This problem should be fixed in MinimStreamer 0.3.8. Please try this and let me know if it's working OK.
06-01-2014, 19:02
Have now had the chance to try Minimstreamer 0.3.8 and am happy to report that so far both Linn Classical and Linn Jazz have each played for in excess of an hour without any problems on my system.

I'll progressively go through all the stations I experienced problems with and let you know if I encounter any further problems, but at the moment it looks like the problem has gone away.

Many thanks for all the work you put into this. It is truly appreciated.
06-01-2014, 20:23
(06-01-2014 19:02)retraite Wrote:  Have now had the chance to try Minimstreamer 0.3.8 and am happy to report that so far both Linn Classical and Linn Jazz have each played for in excess of an hour without any problems on my system.

I'll progressively go through all the stations I experienced problems with and let you know if I encounter any further problems, but at the moment it looks like the problem has gone away.

Many thanks for all the work you put into this. It is truly appreciated.

You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting the problem and for all the testing you have done and are doing.
06-01-2014, 20:29 (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 20:30 by simoncn.)
(06-01-2014 19:02)retraite Wrote:  Have now had the chance to try Minimstreamer 0.3.8 and am happy to report that so far both Linn Classical and Linn Jazz have each played for in excess of an hour without any problems on my system.

Slightly off topic again: now that you've had the chance to do some proper listening to Linn Classical and other MP3 stations with wav24 transcoding enabled, what is your assessment of the comparative sound quality of these stations with and without MinimStreamer wav24 transcoding? My impression is that the sound quality is slightly better when the original MP3 stream is sent to the Linn DS.
07-01-2014, 12:06
Hi Simon

Haven't really had time to do much comparative listening as yet, but will do so over the next few days. The only comment at the moment is that stations using an aac stream generally seem to sound better, particularly transcoded, than those using mp3. That is an "off the cuff" response as there also seems to be a considerable difference in volume level between the mp3 stations (particularly Linn) and the BBC channels so more direct comparison will need some manual intervention and an increased attention span - something I'm apparently not noted for these days.
07-01-2014, 12:32
(07-01-2014 12:06)retraite Wrote:  Hi Simon

Haven't really had time to do much comparative listening as yet, but will do so over the next few days. The only comment at the moment is that stations using an aac stream generally seem to sound better, particularly transcoded, than those using mp3. That is an "off the cuff" response as there also seems to be a considerable difference in volume level between the mp3 stations (particularly Linn) and the BBC channels so more direct comparison will need some manual intervention and an increased attention span - something I'm apparently not noted for these days.

Thanks for these initial observations. I would expect AAC to sound better than MP3 for the same bitrate, as AAC uses a more technically advanced encoding alogorithm.
13-01-2014, 11:23
Before trying to answer your question I should say that I don’t have “golden ears” and if asked to pick out in a blind test, which stream was which, I’m not sure, in this instance, I could reliably or consistently distinguish the transcoded and the direct.

Being absolutely honest, with Linn Classic Radio, tracks are invariably less familiar and I find I can hear very little difference when I simply sit and listen.

To my ear the difference with transcoding is most noticeable on the music with which I am most familiar and I become aware of the benefit, rather than being able to consciously hear it, hence my previous comment about it perhaps being a question of what isn’t there, rather than what is.

Likewise on Radio 3, with unfamiliar music on “Words and Music” yesterday, I found it hard to “hear” differences in the quality of the music, but I found the voice of the readers (Sally Philips and Jonathan Keeble) had a bit of additional presence with the transcoding.

It is very difficult to articulate why I prefer the transcoded stream, but in general I do. My wife, who is musical (I’m not) also notices the difference and shares the preference - unusual, in that she is invariably vocal about anything she might regard as pretentious.

I don’t know if this answers your question, but it’s the best I can do for the moment
20-01-2014, 17:32 (This post was last modified: 20-01-2014 17:35 by Nebula.)
(04-01-2014 22:03)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 22:32)scrutney2 Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Firstly, many thanks for 0.8.1 - the Artist container is now correctly displaying all my tracks without an AlbumArtist tag! Smile

Now, onto transcoding, which is the other feature I've been looking forward to... I've installed MinimStreamer and added alac:wav24 to the stream.transcode property (my files are ALAC on a Synology DS110j and my player is a Linn Majik DS); the stream.converter property is set to the default ffmpeg, which I believe should work? However, when I play a track there is no sound! The track counts down as if it is playing and Kinsky shows that it is WAV format.. But no music. Undecided

I think I've followed the user guide correctly - is there anything I've overlooked?

Simon

(21-12-2013 09:27)Nebula Wrote:  Hello Simon,

Same here setup everything on my DS413 and trancoded FLAC and ALAC files ---> no sound on Pioneer BDP LX55. MP3's etc play fine. So awaiting your update.

Best regards,

Tom.

(21-12-2013 14:00)advr Wrote:  I tried several options, wav, wav16, wav24 and no sound. It's playing a and I see wav, 16 bits or 24 bits when playing but no sound. after I delete the transcoding to wav, the mp3 sound is back as a mp3.

don't have a solution yet

The problem with transcoding ALAC/AAC/MP3 streams on Synology is now fixed in MinimStreamer 0.3.7.
Hello Simon,

Was overseas for a while, but just returned and installed MinimStreamer 0.3.9. And boy does it work Smile. Thank you very much!!!

My system: DS413 and Pioneer BDP LX55
stream.converter: ffmpeg
stream.transcode: alac:wav24, aac:wav24, flac:wav24

Greetings from Singapore,

Tom