Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to MinimStreamer!
20-12-2013, 17:25
RE: Welcome to MinimStreamer!
Does anyone have any idea if PlugPlayer should properly support radio streaming via minim server?

I've described it few comments up and also added screenshots there.

Thank you Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2013, 09:27 (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 09:28 by Nebula.)
(18-12-2013 22:24)scrutney2 Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 11:48)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 10:50)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 09:35)scrutney2 Wrote:  I did think that, but I changed the stream.converter property from ffmpeg to avconv, and got a message saying this program is not installed, which suggests that ffmpeg is installed.. If in fact I don't have a transcoding converter installed, any pointers would be appreciated!

Your setup is correct. I am able to reproduce this problem when transcoding ALAC files using ffmpeg on my Synology. The audio is playing OK when I transcode ALAC files using ffmpeg on my QNAP, so I suspect there is some issue with the version of ffmpeg that is preinstalled by Synology. I'll do some investigation and post back here when I have more information.

It appears there was an incompatible change to the spelling of an ffmpeg option in November 2012. Before that date, this option was specified as '-request_sample_fmt flt' and after that date it was specified as '-request_sample_fmt float'. The problem with ALAC and Synology is caused by MinimStreamer's use of the older 'flt' syntax, which is rejected by the newer ffmpeg version installed by Synology.

The best solution I can think of at the moment is for MinimStreamer to do "dummy" invocations of ffmpeg with each spelling to find the spelling that works, then use this spelling in the "real" invocation of ffmpeg.

A future update I guess?

Hello Simon,

Same here setup everything on my DS413 and trancoded FLAC and ALAC files ---> no sound on Pioneer BDP LX55. MP3's etc play fine. So awaiting your update.

Best regards,

Tom.
21-12-2013, 10:33 (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 10:45 by advr.)
Everything is working fine with my DS412+, also transcoding to flac. Cool

Edit: flac:wav, mp3:wav mp3 to wav isn't working somehow... (using Linn streamers)
21-12-2013, 11:53
(21-12-2013 10:33)advr Wrote:  Everything is working fine with my DS412+, also transcoding to flac. Cool

Edit: flac:wav, mp3:wav mp3 to wav isn't working somehow... (using Linn streamers)
Interesting why does it work on a DS412+ and not on a DS413, maybe different processor? Freescale QorIQ P1022 in DS413 and Intel Atom D2700 inside DS412+. Anyway I tried again and no success...
21-12-2013, 14:00
(21-12-2013 11:53)Nebula Wrote:  
(21-12-2013 10:33)advr Wrote:  Everything is working fine with my DS412+, also transcoding to flac. Cool

Interesting why does it work on a DS412+ and not on a DS413, maybe different processor? Freescale QorIQ P1022 in DS413 and Intel Atom D2700 inside DS412+. Anyway I tried again and no success...

I tried several options, wav, wav16, wav24 and no sound. It's playing a and I see wav, 16 bits or 24 bits when playing but no sound. after I delete the transcoding to wav, the mp3 sound is back as a mp3.

don't have a solution yet
21-12-2013, 19:12
(21-12-2013 14:00)advr Wrote:  I tried several options, wav, wav16, wav24 and no sound. It's playing a and I see wav, 16 bits or 24 bits when playing but no sound. after I delete the transcoding to wav, the mp3 sound is back as a mp3.

These problems with "no sound" are likely to be caused by the incompatible change by FFmpeg to its -request_sample_fmt option. Some platforms or DSM levels might have a compatible FFmpeg and other platforms or DSM levels might have an incompatible FFmpeg.

I'm away from home at the moment, with no access to a Synology. I won't be able to do any more on this until I return home in about a week's time.
21-12-2013, 20:07
(21-12-2013 19:12)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-12-2013 14:00)advr Wrote:  I tried several options, wav, wav16, wav24 and no sound. It's playing a and I see wav, 16 bits or 24 bits when playing but no sound. after I delete the transcoding to wav, the mp3 sound is back as a mp3.

These problems with "no sound" are likely to be caused by the incompatible change by FFmpeg to its -request_sample_fmt option. Some platforms or DSM levels might have a compatible FFmpeg and other platforms or DSM levels might have an incompatible FFmpeg.

I'm away from home at the moment, with no access to a Synology. I won't be able to do any more on this until I return home in about a week's time.
No issues we will wait for your return
21-12-2013, 20:15
(21-12-2013 19:12)simoncn Wrote:  

Please take your time, as Nebula also said, it's only a minor issue!!CoolCool
02-01-2014, 12:02
(20-12-2013 17:25)maniac Wrote:  Does anyone have any idea if PlugPlayer should properly support radio streaming via minim server?

I've described it few comments up and also added screenshots there.

Thank you Smile

I've tried this using PlugPlayer 4.2.3 on an iPod and everything is working as expected.

From the screenshots you posted, it looks like something is expanding your .m3u files and following the http:// links inside them, and this is giving you incorrect data for these playlists within [folder view]. Perhaps there is something installed on your QNAP that is scanning your library and doing this.

Does it work if you select a .m3u playlist by browsing from the "<n> playlists" selection instead of the [folder view] selection?
03-01-2014, 09:03 (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 12:47 by simoncn.)
(18-12-2013 11:48)simoncn Wrote:  It appears there was an incompatible change to the spelling of an ffmpeg option in November 2012. Before that date, this option was specified as '-request_sample_fmt flt' and after that date it was specified as '-request_sample_fmt float'. The problem with ALAC and Synology is caused by MinimStreamer's use of the older 'flt' syntax, which is rejected by the newer ffmpeg version installed by Synology.

The best solution I can think of at the moment is for MinimStreamer to do "dummy" invocations of ffmpeg with each spelling to find the spelling that works, then use this spelling in the "real" invocation of ffmpeg.

(18-12-2013 23:20)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, and before I do this I will think very hard about whether there's a better way. I don't understand what the FFmpeg developers were thinking when they made this incompatible change.

I've done more investigation into this option spelling change, and the situation is different from what I posted prevously.

The correct and current spelling of this option is '-request_sample_fmt flt' as used by MinimStreamer. Unfortunately, the version of ffmpeg included in Synology DSM is a patched version of ffmpeg 0.7.x (a very old version) and this Synology version uses the incorrect spelling '-request_sample_fmt float' for this option and is therefore incompatible with MinimStreamer.

My apologies to the FFmpeg developers for accusing them of making an incompatible change. The problem is caused by the Synology developers, not the FFmpeg developers.

I am investigating possible solutions for this Synology MinimStreamer issue. This is likely to require MinimStreamer to detect that the patched Synology version of 0.7.x is being used and apply a workaround.