Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to MinimStreamer!
18-12-2013, 22:24
RE: Welcome to MinimStreamer!
(18-12-2013 11:48)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 10:50)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 09:35)scrutney2 Wrote:  I did think that, but I changed the stream.converter property from ffmpeg to avconv, and got a message saying this program is not installed, which suggests that ffmpeg is installed.. If in fact I don't have a transcoding converter installed, any pointers would be appreciated!

Your setup is correct. I am able to reproduce this problem when transcoding ALAC files using ffmpeg on my Synology. The audio is playing OK when I transcode ALAC files using ffmpeg on my QNAP, so I suspect there is some issue with the version of ffmpeg that is preinstalled by Synology. I'll do some investigation and post back here when I have more information.

It appears there was an incompatible change to the spelling of an ffmpeg option in November 2012. Before that date, this option was specified as '-request_sample_fmt flt' and after that date it was specified as '-request_sample_fmt float'. The problem with ALAC and Synology is caused by MinimStreamer's use of the older 'flt' syntax, which is rejected by the newer ffmpeg version installed by Synology.

The best solution I can think of at the moment is for MinimStreamer to do "dummy" invocations of ffmpeg with each spelling to find the spelling that works, then use this spelling in the "real" invocation of ffmpeg.

A future update I guess?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2013, 23:20 (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 12:50 by simoncn.)
(18-12-2013 22:24)scrutney2 Wrote:  A future update I guess?

Yes, and before I do this I will think very hard about whether there's a better way. I don't understand what the FFmpeg developers were thinking when they made this incompatible change.

Edit: This problem isn't caused by an incompatible change to FFmpeg. See this post for details.
19-12-2013, 11:43
(18-12-2013 22:13)maniac Wrote:  Working well also on Qnap 689pro - thank you!

But i'm having trouble getting streaming of radio into the player via minim server.
I have created .M3U file in one of my folders containing exactly this text:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,[Linn] Linn Radio Classical
http://radio.linnrecords.com/cast/tunein...aylist.pls

After rescanning I can see folder "LINN" inside which is "file" playlist.pls , but trying to stream it to upnp player won't work. Same stream url works via iTunes fine.

You shouldn't see a folder with a playlist.pls file. This sounds like there is a problem with the way your control point is interpreting the XML data sent by MinimServer.

Quote:I have created other .M3U file for other radio, this one plays, but it's not being processed (or transcoded) by minim server, but rather player streams directly from radio servers:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:69,[FM] - Slovak 4 Radio FM
http://live.slovakradio.sk:8000/FM_256.mp3

This stream is playing fine for me in three ways:

1) direct internet connection from the renderer
2) via MinimStreamer, without transcoding
3) via MinimStreamer, with transcoding to wav24

Did you intend to set the duration of this stream to 69 seconds?

Quote:In "System" preferences inside minim watch I have set:

stream.converter = ffmpeg
stream.transcode = flac:wav24, mp3:wav24

Transcoding of local flacs and mp3s to wav24 works fine.

Any clue what I'm doing wrong? Smile

Thank you.

I think it's a problem with the control point or possibly the renderer. What control point and renderer are you using?
19-12-2013, 11:50
A propos your “off-topic” comment re the quality of Radio 3 transcoded to WAV24, having now had a little time to listen to it, I would agree that the sound is noticeably preferable to the standard feed. I’m not sure in my case if the preference arises from what I can hear, or what I can’t. It seems to me to be a little cleaner, slightly higher contrast, if you will.

I’ve also been running my main system with various feeds to see what happens in terms of interruptions. I still cannot get the transcoded Linn Classical feed to last much more than two minutes, Radio Paradise on either mp3 or AAC, transcoded will run for about 8 before stopping. Radio 3, on the other hand, is even now allowing me to listen at length to Russell Grant being self-congratulatory and will run for quite an extended period. Direct feeds to the DS appear to suffer no problems with drop-out. Don’t know if this helps at all. I’ll keep experimenting and advise of anything of note.
19-12-2013, 12:18 (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 12:19 by simoncn.)
(19-12-2013 11:50)retraite Wrote:  A propos your “off-topic” comment re the quality of Radio 3 transcoded to WAV24, having now had a little time to listen to it, I would agree that the sound is noticeably preferable to the standard feed. I’m not sure in my case if the preference arises from what I can hear, or what I can’t. It seems to me to be a little cleaner, slightly higher contrast, if you will.

This is a very good description of the difference I am hearing as well.

Quote:I’ve also been running my main system with various feeds to see what happens in terms of interruptions. I still cannot get the transcoded Linn Classical feed to last much more than two minutes, Radio Paradise on either mp3 or AAC, transcoded will run for about 8 before stopping. Radio 3, on the other hand, is even now allowing me to listen at length to Russell Grant being self-congratulatory and will run for quite an extended period. Direct feeds to the DS appear to suffer no problems with drop-out. Don’t know if this helps at all. I’ll keep experimenting and advise of anything of note.

I might try a experimental change and send you a test version to try. Because of the number of other problems being reported at the moment, I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to do this. Also, I'm quite reluctant to make experimental changes until I understand more about what's happening. I'm especially puzzled that the stream stops much more quickly for you (on similar equipment) than it does for me. My apologies for the inconvenience.
19-12-2013, 17:04 (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 20:32 by maniac.)
Quote:This stream is playing fine for me in three ways:

1) direct internet connection from the renderer
2) via MinimStreamer, without transcoding
3) via MinimStreamer, with transcoding to wav24

Did you intend to set the duration of this stream to 69 seconds?

Yep, I have deliberately set 69 as I was experimenting if that "-1" is the cause its not working Smile

I am using PlugPlayer on iPhone and also PlugPlayer for OSX.

Renderer is PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MK2 (PWD).

Here is a screenshot how it looks like:
http://localhost.sk/dropzone/Screen%20Sh....02.15.png

and here is screenshot of "TAG VIEW":
http://localhost.sk/dropzone/Screen%20Sh....03.54.png
19-12-2013, 18:07
Thanks for the response. Apology is not warranted as I have quite enjoyed experimenting with a feature on radio that I have always rated highly when applied to the FLAC files on my home network. It also isn’t as if radio is not available through my system.

I have a few more observations on transcoded streams if they are of interest. The first is that I now have all three flavours of Linn Radio installed. Using my QNAP 459 and the Klimax DS all drop out between 3 minutes and 3minutes 20 seconds after selection. On Radio Paradise, the 128 AAC version will run for in excess of 15 minutes, but the 192 mp3 variant will run for only between 8 and 8 1/2 minutes. Using AAC for BBC Radios 2 and 4 and the 320 mp3 BBC Radio 3, I’m consistently getting in excess of 30 minutes without drop out. I will run the BBC stations until they actually do drop out tomorrow, but I haven’t had enough time as yet.

Having no technical knowledge at all, I don’t know if there are any differences in how each broadcaster provides their content, but the BBC’s output does seem to be much more amenable to what you are trying to do than Linn’s.

I appreciate that there are many other aspects of your latest development requiring your attention, so I'll just say that I would be happy to try to help as and when requested.

Once again my thanks for your attention.
19-12-2013, 19:11 (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 21:51 by Peter@57m.)
Could you please share the entries you created for streaming BBC Radio stations

Thanks, Peter

UPDATED

I was looking for the URLs to use in the m3u file. However I have now found a site http://www.listenlive.eu/uk.html which lists most radio stations and if you look at the one you want either has the url or an m3u file which has the url.

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Lumin & Kazoo
20-12-2013, 10:19 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2013 10:20 by simoncn.)
(19-12-2013 19:11)Peter@57m Wrote:  Could you please share the entries you created for streaming BBC Radio stations

Thanks, Peter

UPDATED

I was looking for the URLs to use in the m3u file. However I have now found a site http://www.listenlive.eu/uk.html which lists most radio stations and if you look at the one you want either has the url or an m3u file which has the url.

This is a great website, and the home page http://www.listenlive.eu/index.html also has links to similar sites covering other parts of the world.
20-12-2013, 10:24
(19-12-2013 18:07)retraite Wrote:  Thanks for the response. Apology is not warranted as I have quite enjoyed experimenting with a feature on radio that I have always rated highly when applied to the FLAC files on my home network. It also isn’t as if radio is not available through my system.

I have a few more observations on transcoded streams if they are of interest. The first is that I now have all three flavours of Linn Radio installed. Using my QNAP 459 and the Klimax DS all drop out between 3 minutes and 3minutes 20 seconds after selection. On Radio Paradise, the 128 AAC version will run for in excess of 15 minutes, but the 192 mp3 variant will run for only between 8 and 8 1/2 minutes. Using AAC for BBC Radios 2 and 4 and the 320 mp3 BBC Radio 3, I’m consistently getting in excess of 30 minutes without drop out. I will run the BBC stations until they actually do drop out tomorrow, but I haven’t had enough time as yet.

Having no technical knowledge at all, I don’t know if there are any differences in how each broadcaster provides their content, but the BBC’s output does seem to be much more amenable to what you are trying to do than Linn’s.

I appreciate that there are many other aspects of your latest development requiring your attention, so I'll just say that I would be happy to try to help as and when requested.

Once again my thanks for your attention.

Thanks for all your help with this. I will let you know by PM when I have something you can test. Because of family plans for Christmas, this probably won't be before the New Year.