Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funding MinimServer development
24-07-2012, 16:20
Funding MinimServer development
I started developing MinimServer because I wasn't happy with other music servers and I wanted a better music server too use myself. When I'd got it working, I thought it might be useful to a few other people as well. As they say, the rest is history! Smile

I haven't charged for MinimServer, and I don't want to start doing that. I'm enjoying working on MinimServer, and I'm happy to donate my time. However, I do have some out-of-pocket costs for equipment that I've needed to buy for MinimServer development. The most expensive purchase has been my Mac. I'm very pleased to have this, but it's only used for developing and testing MinimServer. I've also bought an upgraded iPod, which I only use for control point testing.

If MinimServer is going to continue to be successful, I'll need to continue spending money on equipment. For example, I've had requests for add-on packages for various NAS platforms, which would require me to buy some NAS devices for development, testing and support. I wouldn't use them myself because I'm happy with my current NAS arrangements, and this makes me very reluctant to spend money out of my own pocket.

There's been a recent discussion on the Linn forum about a funding model where people who would like a MinimServer package for a specific NAS platform could make contributions towards the purchase of a suitable device. In this case, there would be a very direct relationship between what people give and the benefit they get back. For contributions to a general MinimServer equipment fund, there wouldn't be the same immediate direct benefit to the contributor. These contributions would benefit the whole MinimServer community by helping keep MinimServer moving forward and still freely available.

I'm thinking about providing the opportunity for people to either make a general contribution to the MinimServer equipment fund or make a direct contribution to the costs of a specific project such as making MinimServer available on a particular NAS platform. The latter would require some organizing, as I wouldn't want to accept money for a specific project until enough people had signed up to make that project viable.

I'd be very interested to hear what MinimServer users think about this.

Simon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2012, 17:49
RE: Funding MinimServer development
Just popping over from the Linn forum to confirm my support for the NAS development suggestion. Happy to contribute to the development of a version for ReadyNAS ARM.
24-07-2012, 19:03
I think you should make it as simple as possible. So why make contributions to a general MinimServer equipment fund? Just give me the possibility to pay you some money and I do not care if it's for equipment or for your time. I think you earn it. (But in the same sentence I have to say that installation of Minim Server is not easy enough - I have done it once, but I did not try to update because it costs me too much thinking and reading, I want a one click solution and I'm sure I'm not the only one here.)
24-07-2012, 19:29
Love to donate a fee. What you do with it is up to you. MinimServer is the best UPNP server for music that I have come across.
24-07-2012, 20:16 (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 20:22 by bbrip.)
More than happy to contribute. just let s know where to transfer the money Wink If it goes towards a ReayNAS NVX plugin thats great, but wold not be a restriction in any way. Smile
24-07-2012, 20:26
Smile RE: Funding MinimServer development
I have the same feeling - if there was a donate button i would be happy to spend a few bucks. I wouldn't bother if you use it for a new testing device or just go for an ice cream (a big one) Wink.
About the installation/updating process: i don't think that it is very complicated, especially for windows. It's just that the documentation is very extensive and detailed (which i for my part appreciate). Maybe a 'Quick Installation Guide'-section would prevent some people from getting scared by the many text.
24-07-2012, 20:42
What about some form of Kickstarter style project?

Rik
24-07-2012, 22:39
(24-07-2012 20:42)rik Wrote:  What about some form of Kickstarter style project?

Rik

This is pretty much what I had in mind for the NAS ports, except for the part about taking people's credit card details and charging the credit cards. I was thinking of taking pledges, and if the project gets enough pledged funding I would ask everyone to donate their pledged amount. (Yes, I know, some people might not do that.) Sad
24-07-2012, 23:46
I would be happy contributing to fund further development of the Mac platform. A Paypal link would work perfectly. Perhaps there should be a suggested amount in line with the current costs for Asset and Twonky.

Thanks
Gregg
25-07-2012, 06:53 (This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 06:54 by rik.)
(24-07-2012 22:39)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 20:42)rik Wrote:  What about some form of Kickstarter style project?

Rik

This is pretty much what I had in mind for the NAS ports, except for the part about taking people's credit card details and charging the credit cards. I was thinking of taking pledges, and if the project gets enough pledged funding I would ask everyone to donate their pledged amount. (Yes, I know, some people might not do that.) Sad

I guess what's needed is a Kickstarter for small software projects. I know Kickstarter can (sort of) do that sort of thing but you would probably want a 30:30:40 split (30% on project start, 30% on beta ship, 40% on acceptance) off taken from a PayPal / Amazon account.

Why on make you PayPal account details widely know - you may be surprised. [& change your signature back on the Linn forum something like donations @ some . email . address . com].

Rik