Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dlna search & synology nas
17-07-2012, 07:57 (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 20:16 by winxi.)
RE: dlna search & synology nas
Quote:This is probably because MinimServer doesn't implement the optional AVTransport service. It sounds like either BubbleUPnP or the Sony Blu-ray system needs that.

i see! it seems that the sony renderers need that protocol, since neither my Sony Bravia TV, nor the Sony Bluray System even show up minimServer in their native DLNA menu. do you have plans to implement this?

Quote:That's great news! Could you write a very brief set of instructions and post them here for the benefit of other Synology users?

running it at a Synology DS is quite straightforward. note that it requires java being installed - you are recommended to use this package. After you have installed java, reboot your NAS.
be aware that you have to adopt the following instructions to the version of MinimServer you use (version number and either ARM or x86).

1) get access to your DS via telnet or ssh and login as root. (i.e. use 'root' as username, and type your admin-password).

2) copy the appropriate MinimServer archive to your '/usr/local' folder. Assuming you use 'MinimServer-05.2-linux-arm.tar.gz' and you have downloaded it to the root folder of volume1, type:

Code:
cp /volume1/MinimServer-05.2-linux-arm.tar.gz /usr/local

3) change the directory and extract the archive:

Code:
cd /usr/local
tar xvzf MinimServer-05.2-linux-arm.tar.gz

4) now you may delete the archive by typing

Code:
rm MinimServer-05.2-linux-arm.tar.gz

5) change the dircetory and run MinimServer as background process:

Code:
cd /usr/local/minimserver-0.52/data
java -jar ../lib/minimserver.jar --quiet --nohup &

Note that it is recommended to kill MinimServer before powering off or rebooting the NAS.

If you want MinimServer to be started and killed automatically when you boot or poweroff your NAS, create the script 'minim.sh' containing

Code:
#!/bin/sh
case $1 in
    start)
        if [ -f  /tmp/minim.pid ]; then
            echo "MinimServer is already running..."
            exit 1
        else
            cd /usr/local/minimserver-0.52/data
            /volume1/@appstore/java7/jre/bin/java -jar ../lib/minimserver.jar --quiet --nohup &
            PID=$!
            echo $PID > /tmp/minim.pid
            exit 0
        fi
    ;;
    stop)
        if [ -f  /tmp/minim.pid ]; then
            PID=$(cat /tmp/minim.pid)
            rm /tmp/minim.pid
            kill $PID
            sleep 2
            exit 0
        else
            echo "MinimServer is not running..."
            exit 1
        fi
    ;;
esac

and put it in the folder 'usr / local / etc / rc.d' (please remove the spaces, couldn't post this else). note that when you create such a file in windows, you need an editor that supports UTF-8 (e.g. notepad++). in the above code, you have to adopt the path of your java installation, which you might get by typing

Code:
which java

cheers, winxi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2012, 10:50
Thanks very much for posting the instructions! I'll put a link to your post on the MinimServer website.

At the moment I don't have plans to implement the AVTransport service. I don't have any devices that could take advantage of that, which means I don't have any means of testing it. It's a large specification, so I suspect it would be quite a lot of work.
17-07-2012, 13:02
Hi, it's a pity with the AVTransport service, since it would have been my main prupose to stream to these hardware renderers and i like your promising audio server very much.
maybe i can workaround it using bubbleupnp server by media server proxying, i will try it at home.
anyways, thank you very much!
18-07-2012, 10:36 (This post was last modified: 18-07-2012 12:06 by bubbleguuum.)
Hi,

I registered to explain a few things on why this error 714 may happen with this Sony hardware renderer. It is a bit complicated.

First, it has nothing to do with MinimServer implementing the AVTransport service. This service is implemented by UPnp/DLNA renderers, in this case the Sony device.

SetAVTransportURI() is the AVTransport service action used to indicate to the target renderer what URL to play, associated with the metadata for that item (DIDL-Lite). In that case, the target renderer reply to the Control Point (BubbleUPnP) an error code 714 "Illegal Mime-type" which is a rather vague error meaning it found it could not play the item from the stream URL or the metadata.

Now, this renderer being a Sony device, it is certainly a DLNA device.
Some DLNA devices (in particular infamous Samsung TVs, but not only), when emitting the HTTP GET request with the stream URL to the Media Server (eg MinimServer), add a custom DLNA HTTP Header:

getcontentFeatures.dlna.org: 1

When this header is set, they expect the HTTP reply header to containing the 4th field of the protocolInfo containing DLNA profile info. For example for MP3:

contentFeatures.dlna.org: DLNA.ORG_PN=MP3;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0

This is an oddity of DLNA but some DLNA devices will *not work* without this reply header being present, an may return an error code to the caller of SetAVTransportURI (the Control Point).

Handling this header is absolutely required to work with most DLNA TVs (Sony, LG, Samsung, ...).

I'm considering updating the Media Server proxy feature of BubbleUPnP Server to transparently add this response header if the origin Media Server do not handle it.
18-07-2012, 11:16
Thanks very much for this initiation into the secret rituals of DLNA. Smile Sad

Another issue might be that MinimServer doesn't provide any DLNA information in its protocolInfo because I haven't been able to find freely available documentation describing the correct values to put in these DLNA strings. I've noticed that other media servers such as Twonky and Asset do provide this DLNA information. Is it possible that this omission might be related to the problem (as well as the header issue)?

It would be great if BubbleUPnP Server could provide DLNA-compliant proxying for non-DLNA UPnP media servers, including protocolInfo modification and response header insertion.
18-07-2012, 13:06
(18-07-2012 11:16)simoncn Wrote:  It would be great if BubbleUPnP Server could provide DLNA-compliant proxying for non-DLNA UPnP media servers, including protocolInfo modification and response header insertion.

I will definetely add this, as it fits the role of a proxy server
21-07-2012, 09:38 (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 11:59 by winxi.)
Hi simon,
i've updated the instructions to install at a synology nas. i found that it is absolutely necessary to kill MinimServer before shutting down the NAS, otherwise the NAS will get stuck during the shutdown process and one has to physically pull out the power plug. This is somewhat unusual, maybe you can give some more insight.

EDIT: The shutdown-problem turned out not to be related to MinimServer.
21-07-2012, 14:11
(21-07-2012 09:38)winxi Wrote:  Hi simon,
i've updated the instructions to install at a synology nas. i found that it is absolutely necessary to kill MinimServer before shutting down the NAS, otherwise the NAS will get stuck during the shutdown process and one has to physically pull out the power plug. This is somewhat unusual, maybe you can give some more insight.

I tried shutting down my QNAP NAS with MinimServer running. I didn't use the QPKG version of MinimServer (which automatically kills the MinimServer process on shutdown, as you're doing in your updated version of minim.sh). Instead, I did a separate manual installation of MinimServer and started it from an SSH command prompt. The NAS shutdown completed normally.

Did you get the shutdown problem after you had started MinimServer automatically from minim.sh? If so, the problem may have been that the NAS was calling 'minim.sh stop' during its shutdown sequence and your previous version of minim.sh didn't handle this call correctly.

Regardless of what caused the problem, it's a good idea to kill the MinimServer process as you're doing in your current version of minim.sh. This allows MinimServer to send out UPnP notifications that's it's terminating, so that control points can remove MinimServer from their list of servers.
10-05-2013, 15:28
Hi Simon,

just stumbled over the missing UPNP search feature in MiniMserver und found this thread where you consider it as a potential future enhancement to MiniMserver.

Is this valid? UPNP search is in IMHO a very very very useful feature. Blush

Thanks in advance,
Diddle.
10-05-2013, 19:35
(10-05-2013 15:28)diddle Wrote:  Hi Simon,

just stumbled over the missing UPNP search feature in MiniMserver und found this thread where you consider it as a potential future enhancement to MiniMserver.

Is this valid? UPNP search is in IMHO a very very very useful feature. Blush

Thanks in advance,
Diddle.

The situation is unchanged. I am hoping to be able to support UPnP search in a future MinimServer release.