Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dlna search & synology nas
16-07-2012, 08:44
dlna search & synology nas
Hello,

thanks for your effort in building a new audio server. i think that there is a high demand for such a project, as there is no dlna server that i know, which works really satisfying. about your project, i like especially the high configurability and the idea of separating it into MinimServer and MinimWatch. i'm quite sure that the community and number of users will grow fast, as this becomes more popular.
however, i've two questions:
1) is it possible to install MinimServer at a synology NAS, too (with JRE already installed)?
2) do you have plans to implement dlna search (as, e.g., twonky does)? this may be usefull especially for large audio libraries.

cheers, winxi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2012, 10:36
RE: dlna search & synology nas
(16-07-2012 08:44)winxi Wrote:  Hello,

thanks for your effort in building a new audio server. i think that there is a high demand for such a project, as there is no dlna server that i know, which works really satisfying. about your project, i like especially the high configurability and the idea of separating it into MinimServer and MinimWatch. i'm quite sure that the community and number of users will grow fast, as this becomes more popular.
1) is it possible to install MinimServer at a synology NAS, too (with JRE already installed)?
2) do you have plans to implement dlna search (as, e.g., twonky does)? this may be usefull especially for large audio libraries.

cheers, winxi

Thanks for the kind words!

It should be possible to install either the Linux ARM or Linux x86 version of MinimServer on a Synology NAS, depending on what kind of processor is in the NAS. At the moment there's no conveniently installable package for Synology, so you'd need to be familiar with Linux to do this.

UPnP Search is on my list of possible future enhancements. One of the issues with this is the lack of good support in control points. Which control point are you using, and what kind of searching are you doing with Twonky? It would be very useful for me to have some real-life scenarios of how people currently use Search to find things in their collection.
16-07-2012, 12:09
thanks for your attention! i use bubbleupnp @android as control point. i know from upnplay @android and a few hardware renderers that they support upnp search as well. in bubbleupnp (if upnp search is available from the server side), you enter any search string and then get a list of folders (e.g. artist, title, ...) which contain matching entries each. i know that there is nearly no upnp server and not too much control points about to support this, but it is so useful. i just know from twonky that it is supported. but the major drawbacks of twonky (e.g. it does not preserve url's after a server restart - playlists made and stored at the control point are not usable) limit its use significantly.

i will try to run it at my synology NAS and provide you with feedback. if i get it to work and when i have time, i may package it for synology.

thank you!
16-07-2012, 12:17
Thanks for the prompt reply. I don't have an Android device yet, but I'm hoping to get one soon. This will allow me to try the UPnP Search support in BubbleDS and Twonky.

Good luck with getting MinimServer to run on the Synology! Please post here if you have any questions about this.

If you do get as far as producing a Synology package, please let me know before you start distributing it. There are various copyright and licensing notices that would need to be included.
16-07-2012, 12:26
(16-07-2012 12:17)simoncn Wrote:  If you do get as far as producing a Synology package, please let me know before you start distributing it. There are various copyright and licensing notices that would need to be included.

of course, i wouldn't distribute it by myself but rather give it to you Wink

one note: i'm not using BubbleDS, which is a control point made for Linn DS devices, but BubbleUPnP, which is a general multi-purpose upnp control point (renderer and server as well). it is really a good and well designed application. i haven't yet used BubbleDS, but it is likely to support upnp search as well.
16-07-2012, 13:25
(16-07-2012 12:26)winxi Wrote:  of course, i wouldn't distribute it by myself but rather give it to you Wink

Thanks! I would prefer to do it that way, because it means there's one download page where people can find MinimServer packages for all supported platforms. I'll make sure you get the credit you deserve! Smile

Quote:one note: i'm not using BubbleDS, which is a control point made for Linn DS devices, but BubbleUPnP, which is a general multi-purpose upnp control point (renderer and server as well). it is really a good and well designed application. i haven't yet used BubbleDS, but it is likely to support upnp search as well.

In that case I'll probably try both BubbleUPnP and BubbleDS. Smile
16-07-2012, 20:57
Hi, i got it to work at my synology DS211. One thing i noticed:
1) as mentioned, i use bubbleupnp as control point (which acts as a renderer at the android device as well). browsing and playing at the bubbleupnp renderer works like a charm! however, playing at another hardware renderer (sony bluray system) with bubbleupnp as control point doesn't seem work. minimServer log shows

Code:
Accepted incoming connection on port 9790
Waiting for incoming connection on port 9790

and bubbleupnp shows an 'Action SetAVTransportURI failed (code: 714) error.

i'm really impressed by the bowsing speed. your server provides at least better performance than twonky does. please keep up the good work.

cheers, winxi
16-07-2012, 21:29
(16-07-2012 20:57)winxi Wrote:  Hi, i got it to work at my synology DS211.

That's great news! Could you write a very brief set of instructions and post them here for the benefit of other Synology users?

Quote:One thing i noticed:
1) as mentioned, i use bubbleupnp as control point (which acts as a renderer at the android device as well). browsing and playing at the bubbleupnp renderer works like a charm! however, playing at another hardware renderer (sony bluray system) with bubbleupnp as control point doesn't seem work. minimServer log shows

Code:
Accepted incoming connection on port 9790
Waiting for incoming connection on port 9790

and bubbleupnp shows an 'Action SetAVTransportURI failed (code: 714) error.

This is probably because MinimServer doesn't implement the optional AVTransport service. It sounds like either BubbleUPnP or the Sony Blu-ray system needs that.

Quote:i'm really impressed by the bowsing speed. your server provides at least better performance than twonky does. please keep up the good work.

cheers, winxi

Thanks very much!
16-07-2012, 21:37
(16-07-2012 10:36)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 08:44)winxi Wrote:  Hello,

cheers, winxi

Thanks for the kind words!

It should be possible to install either the Linux ARM or Linux x86 version of MinimServer on a Synology NAS, depending on what kind of processor is in the NAS. At the moment there's no conveniently installable package for Synology, so you'd need to be familiar with Linux to do this.

UPnP Search is on my list of possible future enhancements. One of the issues with this is the lack of good support in control points. Which control point are you using, and what kind of searching are you doing with Twonky? It would be very useful for me to have some real-life scenarios of how people currently use Search to find things in their collection.

Hi Simon,

Kinsky has this search facility (Filter) in folder view.

To access scroll down at top of list.

Streamer
16-07-2012, 22:32
(16-07-2012 21:37)Streamer Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 10:36)simoncn Wrote:  UPnP Search is on my list of possible future enhancements. One of the issues with this is the lack of good support in control points. Which control point are you using, and what kind of searching are you doing with Twonky? It would be very useful for me to have some real-life scenarios of how people currently use Search to find things in their collection.

Hi Simon,

Kinsky has this search facility (Filter) in folder view.

To access scroll down at top of list.

Streamer

Hi George,
Kinsky Filtering is useful, but it's much less powerful than UPnP Search. The Kinsky Filter facility runs locally in Kinsky and does simple text string matching within the container currently being displayed. UPnP Search sends a query from the control point to the server and can search multiple containers using a rich combination of different filters, although most or all control points and servers impose limitations on how much of this they support.

For example, with Kinsky Filtering I could search the current container for any item containing the string "Red". With UPnP Search I could search my complete collection for albums with a title containing the string "Red" and an artist name containing the string "John" and a date between 1993 and 2005 (for example). There's quite a big difference! Smile

Simon