Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displaying Composer information in a Control Point
25-11-2013, 00:53
RE: Displaying Composer information in a Control Point
(24-11-2013 23:17)simoncn Wrote:  I don't think this is caused by DLNA. AFAIK, the DLNA specifications and compliance tests don't say anything about how a control point (not renderer) should handle a browsing tree. I think this limitation of your Samsung TV is a Samsung issue, not a DLNA issue.

Sorry: I should have made it clearer that the TV has no problem handling the MinimServer browsing tree. What it can't do is play the FLAC files in my music library.

As I understand it, DNLA has some quite narrow limitations on the formats it can handle, and it favours the 'consumer' (= lossy) formats rather than those designed for high quality reproduction. This is difficult to confirm, because DNLA itself is a closed standard, only available to those companies that subscribe to the Alliance. The point I was trying to make is that a standard constructed and managed along these lines will, on the whole, tend to inhibit rather than promote the development of Control Points with the improved capabilities I should like to see.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2013, 09:17
(25-11-2013 00:35)DavidHB Wrote:  Thank you; that is very good news. I hope that the WMP compatibility will be the big boost to MinimServer that it deserves, because I know that many Windows users prefer to stick with WMP; for these users, WMP can provide a familiar means of implementing a combined control point and renderer, especially with codecs installed to support FLAC etc.

David

Don't get too excited about this. WMP can see the tracks in the MinimServer library, but it doesn't display the MinimServer browse tree. The only selections available are Artist, Album and Genre. Sad
25-11-2013, 15:14
(25-11-2013 09:17)simoncn Wrote:  Don't get too excited about this. WMP can see the tracks in the MinimServer library, but it doesn't display the MinimServer browse tree. The only selections available are Artist, Album and Genre. Sad

Well, seeing the tracks rather than crashing is a start Smile. At least I have the somewhat dubious satisfaction of knowing that the WMP limitations rather tend to confirm some of the points I have been making.

David
18-10-2015, 22:38
I am using the command Title.displayFormat={$composer$title^^^: } To add the composer name to the title display.

Is there a way to strip the composer name, keeping only the last name?

Example:

Ludwig van Beethoven:Violin Concerto becomes
Beethoven: Violin Concerto

Marcelo
18-10-2015, 22:58
(18-10-2015 22:38)marcelogom Wrote:  I am using the command Title.displayFormat={$composer$title^^^: } To add the composer name to the title display.

Is there a way to strip the composer name, keeping only the last name?

Example:

Ludwig van Beethoven:Violin Concerto becomes
Beethoven: Violin Concerto

Marcelo

You can't do this using tag formatting. You would need to create another tag containing just the composer last name and use this in the Title format string.
27-10-2015, 07:54
(24-11-2013 16:45)DavidHB Wrote:  ... allied to the fact that, in some parts of the industry, there seems to have been a strenuous effort to force classical music into the same mindset as other genres. I suspect that those of us who enjoy classical music are often thought of as just being prissy or pedantic when we say that it needs to be treated diffently from other genres. But the reality is that 'classical' music (a ridiculously inappropriate name, but we are saddled with it) is more than a genre; it is a repository of musical works built up over many centuries. People should expect it to have a more complex data structure than other music.

That said, I agree with what you say. It is interesting to consider why the UPnP standard should be so unhelpfully loose. Part of the reason is that many (perhaps most) of those who support UPnP are also involved (often more actively) in DNLA, which is even more unhelpfully draconian. And I suspect that it is from this group that the most influential among those who regard classical music as just awkward will come.

David

Hi I am just going to the next step reorganizing my collection once more,
I am reading the forum again and stepped over your comment.

You are quite right but in reality your comment even extends to popular music. If you view an original album (an album in it's form as originally published) as a "classical" work and you want to tag all relevant information around it you have to view the exact same limitations.
30-10-2015, 00:54
(27-10-2015 07:54)Oliviander Wrote:  You are quite right but in reality your comment even extends to popular music. If you view an original album (an album in it's form as originally published) as a "classical" work and you want to tag all relevant information around it you have to view the exact same limitations.

Indeed, and the people who collect Jazz and Folk Music will say the same thing. All of us suffer from the attempts to shoehorn complex data into a ridiculously inadequate data structure that you see on sites like Amazon and Qobuz, which I sometimes think are designed to prevent a prospective purchaser from finding what he or she wants.

As it happens, in the nearly two years since I wrote my earlier posts on this thread, I have learned how powerful a tool MinimServer, in conjunction with systematic tagging of the collection, can be in overcoming these limitations. Virtually the whole of my CD collection is now ripped and tagged, and I can access it all in the way I find most convenient. I am very grateful for that.

David