Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two entry of one album
23-11-2013, 18:31
Two entry of one album
Hi,
i am using Minimserver with Raspberry. I have two content directories. One on my USB, one on my PC over LAN.

They contain most the same Files (on my PC there are some more), so when i browse my music with kinsky (or Lumin) i have all the albums doubled. this looks not very nice....

Before minimserver, i tried other upnp Servers. it seems, if they see two similar files, they show only one of them.

is there a way in minimserver to get this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2013, 21:11 (This post was last modified: 23-11-2013 21:11 by simoncn.)
RE: Two entry of one album
(23-11-2013 18:31)prodigy999 Wrote:  Hi,
i am using Minimserver with Raspberry. I have two content directories. One on my USB, one on my PC over LAN.

They contain most the same Files (on my PC there are some more), so when i browse my music with kinsky (or Lumin) i have all the albums doubled. this looks not very nice....

Before minimserver, i tried other upnp Servers. it seems, if they see two similar files, they show only one of them.

is there a way in minimserver to get this?

MinimServer shows you exactly what files you have, including any duplicates. Even if MinimServer could detect that the same identical file appears twice (which would require a costly byte-by-byte comparison), it isn't clear which of these duplicates it should choose to show.
23-11-2013, 22:09
Simon's explanation (which makes sense to me) does beg the question as to what the other programs you mention were actually doing. I don't think I'd want the overhead of byte-by-byte comparisons on my server.

More importantly, there may be a simple workaround for your problem. If you run MinimServer on the PC pointed at the music files on your PC, and keep the PI installation pointed only at the files on the PI-connected USB drive, you can simply switch between the two instances of the server in your Control Point to access the files you need. That way, only one set of files will show up in the Control Point at any one time. If you don't see what you are looking for, you know where to look next... Smile

David
24-11-2013, 10:05
(23-11-2013 22:09)DavidHB Wrote:  Simon's explanation (which makes sense to me) does beg the question as to what the other programs you mention were actually doing. I don't think I'd want the overhead of byte-by-byte comparisons on my server.

More importantly, there may be a simple workaround for your problem. If you run MinimServer on the PC pointed at the music files on your PC, and keep the PI installation pointed only at the files on the PI-connected USB drive, you can simply switch between the two instances of the server in your Control Point to access the files you need. That way, only one set of files will show up in the Control Point at any one time. If you don't see what you are looking for, you know where to look next... Smile

David

Another option is to divide the PC library into separate content directories for the files you have downloaded to the RPi and the files that are only on the PC. You can set MinimServer on the PC to use both these directories, and you can set MinimServer on the RPi to use the local files on the RPi together with the non-duplicate files on the PC.
24-11-2013, 15:42 (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 00:56 by DavidHB.)
I think that Simon's suggestion is a better approach in principle, and only avoided suggesting it because I didn't know whether there were disk space issues, or whether sorting out precisely which music was on which drive would be a hassle.

My own approach takes this one stage further. I use the Microsoft SyncToy to create a mirror image of my PC music folder (analogous to the laptop folder in this case) on my NAS (analogous to the RPi). Normal listening is done from the NAS, but I have a MinimServer installation on my PC for test purposes. The separate instances of MinimServer see only the music folder on the device on which they are installed.

For this approach to be useful, (1) the laptop would need to be running Windows, which would need to see the music folder on the RPi as a network folder, and (2) there would need to be enough space on both drives to hold whole the music library.

David