Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue with Lumin Control Point seeing Library
02-05-2014, 22:39
Issue with Lumin Control Point seeing Library
I am a newbie to minimserver and streaming, although a long time audiophile.I recently purchased a Lumin streamer, and Synology DS1813. Going with Lumin's recommnedations I am using minimserver and the Lumin app on Ipad for control point. I am running the latest software versions. I plan to use a Macbook Air for ripping any media to the NAS. I have FIOS as my internet with their Actiontec router.
I was able to get the system up a running reasonabily quickly and still working through issues on album art as I was importing iTunes libraries...but I was able to stream music from the Lumin app...and then I ran into an issue where I deparately need some advice.

I was copying a new album download to the DS1813 and after completion
I rescanned the library from minimserver and also I reloaded the library on the Lumin app. I know now that the reload on the Lumin app was not necessary. However right after I did this...I lost view of all my music from the Lumin app. In trying to debug and resolve, I resorted to deinstalling and reinstalling all the software (Lumin app, Java on DS1813 and inimserver)...Now the Lumin app does not even see the library. I tried installing kinksy and it could not see the library. However from the same Iipad I can login to the DS1813 as ADMIN and perform any functions... I have also reboot everything a few times. The Lumin, DS1813 and IPAD are all on the same subnet (192.168.1.x). I checked the minimserver log and it is seeing my /Music folder as it does show a vareity of tagging type errors, but the status of the miminserver shows "running"

So my question is what might be the cause of the control point not seeing the library? I am not sure how to troubleshoot this. Thanks

BTW- I also did install the "Audio Station" package on the DS1813 and it could stream audio to the Lumin...I de-installed susequently...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 08:35
RE: Issue with Lumin Control Point seeing Library
(02-05-2014 22:39)Roy Boy Wrote:  So my question is what might be the cause of the control point not seeing the library? I am not sure how to troubleshoot this. Thanks

It sounds like this is a network multicast discovery issue. You can confirm that MinimServer is running by checking the status web page at http://192.168.1.x:9790 where 192.168.1.x is the IP address of the NAS. The tagging messages wouldn't prevent MinimServer from running and being discovered by a control point.

Try powering off all your equipment (router, NAS, LUMIN, iPad) and then power it on in this order:

1) Router (wait 3 minutes for startup to coimplete)
2) NAS (wait 3 minutes for startup to coimplete)
3) LUMIN
4) iPad
03-05-2014, 14:46
(03-05-2014 08:35)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 22:39)Roy Boy Wrote:  So my question is what might be the cause of the control point not seeing the library? I am not sure how to troubleshoot this. Thanks

It sounds like this is a network multicast discovery issue. You can confirm that MinimServer is running by checking the status web page at http://192.168.1.x:9790 where 192.168.1.x is the IP address of the NAS. The tagging messages wouldn't prevent MinimServer from running and being discovered by a control point.

Try powering off all your equipment (router, NAS, LUMIN, iPad) and then power it on in this order:

1) Router (wait 3 minutes for startup to coimplete)
2) NAS (wait 3 minutes for startup to coimplete)
3) LUMIN
4) iPad

I checked the status of Minimserver and it was running....I powered down and back up in the recommended sequence.. Unfortunately this did not change anything. The Lumin app still cannot see the library. I tried Kinsky app and had the same result. I also tried the Lumin app on a different IPAD with the same result...I did verify that Minimserver was running after the power up sequence....Very puzzling...
03-05-2014, 21:44
(03-05-2014 14:46)Roy Boy Wrote:  I checked the status of Minimserver and it was running....I powered down and back up in the recommended sequence.. Unfortunately this did not change anything. The Lumin app still cannot see the library. I tried Kinsky app and had the same result. I also tried the Lumin app on a different IPAD with the same result...I did verify that Minimserver was running after the power up sequence....Very puzzling...

Do you have a firewall running on the NAS? Perhaps this is blocking UPnP discovery requests (UDP port 1900) from other devices.
04-05-2014, 02:05
(03-05-2014 21:44)simoncn Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 14:46)Roy Boy Wrote:  I checked the status of Minimserver and it was running....I powered down and back up in the recommended sequence.. Unfortunately this did not change anything. The Lumin app still cannot see the library. I tried Kinsky app and had the same result. I also tried the Lumin app on a different IPAD with the same result...I did verify that Minimserver was running after the power up sequence....Very puzzling...

Do you have a firewall running on the NAS? Perhaps this is blocking UPnP discovery requests (UDP port 1900) from other devices.

I do not think I am blocking port 1900. I have Verizon FIOS and I have not customized any of the firewall settings...I get things working....but I am not sure why... I am running Minimserver on my Synolgy DS1813...I decided to install the Media Server package as it claimed to be a uPnP server...I thought that maybe the Lumin IPAD app could recognize the Media Server...As soon as I installed Media Server the Lumin app saw the library...I was not sure if the streaming was coming from Minimserver or the Media Server, so I selected a DSD file and it did stream as DSD...so I assume that it must have been using the Minimserver. Does this make any sense why it happened?
04-05-2014, 08:04
(04-05-2014 02:05)Roy Boy Wrote:  I do not think I am blocking port 1900. I have Verizon FIOS and I have not customized any of the firewall settings...I get things working....but I am not sure why... I am running Minimserver on my Synolgy DS1813...I decided to install the Media Server package as it claimed to be a uPnP server...I thought that maybe the Lumin IPAD app could recognize the Media Server...As soon as I installed Media Server the Lumin app saw the library...I was not sure if the streaming was coming from Minimserver or the Media Server, so I selected a DSD file and it did stream as DSD...so I assume that it must have been using the Minimserver. Does this make any sense why it happened?

This is consistent with my theory that the firewall on the NAS is blocking UDP port 1900. MediaServer also uses port 1900, so when you installed Media Server, Synology DSM would have unblocked port 1900 for Media Server to use. When port 1900 has been unblocked, any application running on the NAS would be able to use port 1900. The firewall on the NAS is completely separate from any settings you have in Verizon FIOS.

To check this, try the following:

1) From the Synology DSM control panel, select Security
2) Select the Firewall tab
3) Do you see anything on the Firewall tab? If so, the firewall is enabled. Can you post a screenshot here?

I don't know how you can find out whether the LUMIN app is using MinimServer or Media Server. Perhaps there is something in the LUMIN app that tells you this.
04-05-2014, 13:34
(04-05-2014 08:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 02:05)Roy Boy Wrote:  I do not think I am blocking port 1900. I have Verizon FIOS and I have not customized any of the firewall settings...I get things working....but I am not sure why... I am running Minimserver on my Synolgy DS1813...I decided to install the Media Server package as it claimed to be a uPnP server...I thought that maybe the Lumin IPAD app could recognize the Media Server...As soon as I installed Media Server the Lumin app saw the library...I was not sure if the streaming was coming from Minimserver or the Media Server, so I selected a DSD file and it did stream as DSD...so I assume that it must have been using the Minimserver. Does this make any sense why it happened?

This is consistent with my theory that the firewall on the NAS is blocking UDP port 1900. MediaServer also uses port 1900, so when you installed Media Server, Synology DSM would have unblocked port 1900 for Media Server to use. When port 1900 has been unblocked, any application running on the NAS would be able to use port 1900. The firewall on the NAS is completely separate from any settings you have in Verizon FIOS.

To check this, try the following:

1) From the Synology DSM control panel, select Security
2) Select the Firewall tab
3) Do you see anything on the Firewall tab? If so, the firewall is enabled. Can you post a screenshot here?

I don't know how you can find out whether the LUMIN app is using MinimServer or Media Server. Perhaps there is something in the LUMIN app that tells you this.

It does not look like I have any firewall enabled......The only thing I see is on the Security tab, I see a box checked called "Improve protection against cross site forgery attacks". I cannot seem to copy in a screen shot here to show you
04-05-2014, 21:23
(04-05-2014 13:34)Roy Boy Wrote:  It does not look like I have any firewall enabled......The only thing I see is on the Security tab, I see a box checked called "Improve protection against cross site forgery attacks". I cannot seem to copy in a screen shot here to show you

When you press the settings icon in the LUMIN App, do you actually see Minimserver as the selected server ?

bbrip
04-05-2014, 21:27
(04-05-2014 13:34)Roy Boy Wrote:  It does not look like I have any firewall enabled......The only thing I see is on the Security tab, I see a box checked called "Improve protection against cross site forgery attacks". I cannot seem to copy in a screen shot here to show you

As the firewall isn't active, I'm not sure what is causing the problem or why it occurs only when Media Server isn't installed. Are you running the latest level of DSM?
04-05-2014, 22:17 (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 01:06 by Roy Boy.)
(04-05-2014 21:27)simoncn Wrote:  

As the firewall isn't active, I'm not sure what is causing the problem or why it occurs only when Media Server isn't installed. Are you running the latest level of DSM?

I am running DSM 5.0-4482......I do not think this would be the issue, but in terms of my network....my media room is in the upstairs of my house and only had Coax cable...My main FIOS Actiontec router (MOCA device) is downstairs for best wireless signal distribution. The Synology and Lumin must be on wired ethernet...so I purchase a second Actiontec router and put it in the media room to get the ethernet ports I needed. I configured it as a secondary router. So I disabled DHCP and turned off the WAN Coax.
Also from the Lumin app the server I see is DS1813 as the name...
This would not explain why starting Media Server fixed by issue....but maybe my issue does relate to why the AirPlay option on the Lumin does not work...