Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BubbleUPnP and Pause/Next track
26-09-2013, 21:04
BubbleUPnP and Pause/Next track
Hello

I am using BubbleUPnP to play from MinimServer 0.72 on QNAP ARM to a Marantz MCR603 and am placing FLAC format music.

I find that pause does not work unless held down and then it stops the track rather than pausing. Next track does not work with Action failed (code 501).

Pause and Next track work if I use the MCR603 as the control point.

Pause and next track work fine if I use JRiver instead of MinimServer.

Any ideas would be welcome
thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2013, 22:41
RE: BubbleUPnP and Pause/Next track
(26-09-2013 21:04)MartinBarrell Wrote:  Hello

I am using BubbleUPnP to play from MinimServer 0.72 on QNAP ARM to a Marantz MCR603 and am placing FLAC format music.

I find that pause does not work unless held down and then it stops the track rather than pausing. Next track does not work with Action failed (code 501).

Pause and Next track work if I use the MCR603 as the control point.

Pause and next track work fine if I use JRiver instead of MinimServer.

Any ideas would be welcome
thanks

I have been looking at a similar problem with Denon renderers and the pause function. The Denon problem appears to be caused by the renderer incorrectly depending on receiving DLNA metadata information for FLAC files, even though FLAC is not a DLNA media format. It may be that the Marantz is doing the same thing.

Some media servers seem to add the extra DLNA metadata for FLAC files even though this isn't correct according to the UPnP AV or DLNA specifications. MinimServer is designed to conform to the specifications, so it doesn't do this.

At the moment, I don't have a solution to offer. I'll post an update here if there are any changes to this situation.
27-09-2013, 09:36
confirming that this is the Marantz wanting DLNA.ORG_FLAG=017....
in the protocolInfo.

I had to add this flag myself to fix the same problem streaming from BubbleUPNP local media server.
27-09-2013, 09:41 (This post was last modified: 27-09-2013 09:41 by bubbleguuum.)
And most likely it want DLNA.ORG_OP=01 to indicate seeking ability.
DLNA.ORG_FLAGS is for pausing ability only.
27-09-2013, 09:49
(27-09-2013 09:36)bubbleguuum Wrote:  confirming that this is the Marantz wanting DLNA.ORG_FLAG=017....
in the protocolInfo.

I had to add this flag myself to fix the same problem streaming from BubbleUPNP local media server.

Hi bubbleguuum Thanks for the reply - I wondered if you could let me know the details of how to add this flag to BubbleUPnP

thanks Martin
27-09-2013, 09:51 (This post was last modified: 27-09-2013 09:53 by MartinBarrell.)
(26-09-2013 22:41)simoncn Wrote:  I have been looking at a similar problem with Denon renderers and the pause function. The Denon problem appears to be caused by the renderer incorrectly depending on receiving DLNA metadata information for FLAC files, even though FLAC is not a DLNA media format. It may be that the Marantz is doing the same thing.

Some media servers seem to add the extra DLNA metadata for FLAC files even though this isn't correct according to the UPnP AV or DLNA specifications. MinimServer is designed to conform to the specifications, so it doesn't do this.

At the moment, I don't have a solution to offer. I'll post an update here if there are any changes to this situation.

Thanks Simon - from what I have seen on other posts this should get fixed if/when you introduce LPCM transcoding as this a DNLA media format.
27-09-2013, 09:55 (This post was last modified: 27-09-2013 09:56 by bubbleguuum.)
(27-09-2013 09:49)MartinBarrell Wrote:  Hi bubbleguuum Thanks for the reply - I wondered if you could let me know the details of how to add this flag to BubbleUPnP

You can't. It is provided (or not) by the media server.
Although I may systematically add it to avoid recurrent "can't seek and/or can't pause" support questions with some renderers.
27-09-2013, 10:31
(27-09-2013 09:55)bubbleguuum Wrote:  You can't. It is provided (or not) by the media server.
Although I may systematically add it to avoid recurrent "can't seek and/or can't pause" support questions with some renderers.

Could this metadata be added by BubbleUPnP Server's renderer proxy, so that a noncompliant renderer could be "wrapped" by a compliant renderer proxy?
27-09-2013, 10:35
(27-09-2013 09:51)MartinBarrell Wrote:  Thanks Simon - from what I have seen on other posts this should get fixed if/when you introduce LPCM transcoding as this a DNLA media format.

I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I think this would be a better solution than adding nonstandard extensions to the metadata that MinimServer sends for FLAC files.
27-09-2013, 10:49 (This post was last modified: 27-09-2013 10:51 by bubbleguuum.)
(27-09-2013 10:31)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 09:55)bubbleguuum Wrote:  You can't. It is provided (or not) by the media server.

Could this metadata be added by BubbleUPnP Server's renderer proxy, so that a noncompliant renderer could be "wrapped" by a compliant renderer proxy?

You mean media server proxies ? Yes it can be added and I probably will add these 2 DLNA fields (if they are not already set by the media server), as it should not have any side effect (ignored by non DLNA renderers). At best it will add seek/pause ability to some renderers where it would have previously failed and at worse it may still fail because the underlying media server may not support it (range requests for seeking).

For the same reason I think you could add them to minimserver for all items whether DLNA media types or not (do not set DLNA.ORG_OP=01 for media types not supporting seeking, if any)

And it is super likely, that I will add these flags too in Android BubbleUPnP, at SetAVTransportURI() time.