Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WAV file tagging...
14-04-2013, 09:44 (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 09:46 by wappinghigh.)
WAV file tagging...
Further to my thread on what tagging software to use once ditching itunes, can Minimserver support Tag's in WAV files..

Now why on earth would you want to use WAV files anyway? Well might you ask!!! LOL!

Well the simple reason is I want uncompressed files. I also want to be able to use WAV files on other players..particularly the portable Altman Tera-player...and I don't want to end up with multiple libraries..

Am I crazy to move to WAV files and tagging. Can you tag these files? If so with what program... that ends up with tags compatible with minimserver?...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2013, 12:29
RE: WAV file tagging...
IIRC WAV only allows very limited tagging of files, however with Simon's program you can have the best of both worlds. Save the files as uncompressed FLAC (you can select your compression rate in DBPoweramp batch converter), use MP3TAG to get the tag's you want and set MinimServer as converting to WAV. Your control points see the information of the FLAC files (fully tagged), but the streamer gets WAV files served. Good luck :-)
14-04-2013, 13:58 (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 13:59 by wappinghigh.)
(14-04-2013 12:29)ReneZ Wrote:  IIRC WAV only allows very limited tagging of files, however with Simon's program you can have the best of both worlds. Save the files as uncompressed FLAC (you can select your compression rate in DBPoweramp batch converter), use MP3TAG to get the tag's you want and set MinimServer as converting to WAV. Your control points see the information of the FLAC files (fully tagged), but the streamer gets WAV files served. Good luck :-)

Sure. I'd considered such an approach... but exploring the possibilities of tagging and staying with WAV files right thru...
14-04-2013, 14:56
I used MediaMonkey to tag WAV files successfully for several years. I was using WAV with Sonos and an iPod Classic. The classic sounded much better with WAV files.
Then used WAV happily with Twonky and Kinsky with my KDSM.
However, I wanted to use MinimServer and Lumin. MinimServer does not support tagged WAV files at all so I converted all my music to Flac.
I did do comparisons of Twonky/WAV and MinimServer/Flag transcoded to WAV on the KDSM and could not hear any difference.
As WAV and Flac as both lossless formats you should be able to convert one to the other with no data loss.
I now do on the fly transcoding via MediaMonkey of Flac to 320 bps mp3 when syncing the iPod as I now only use it with earphones and not as a source through a DAC as I once did.
So I now have only one copy of my music files but have them served up in different formats for different renderers. I guess you want the same but to keep your music as WAV. Due to the "non standard" way that WAV gets tagged it could be tricky.
I don't know of a program that will do what you want based on WAV files.

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
14-04-2013, 15:13
(14-04-2013 09:44)wappinghigh Wrote:  Further to my thread on what tagging software to use once ditching itunes, can Minimserver support Tag's in WAV files..

Now why on earth would you want to use WAV files anyway? Well might you ask!!! LOL!

Well the simple reason is I want uncompressed files. I also want to be able to use WAV files on other players..particularly the portable Altman Tera-player...and I don't want to end up with multiple libraries..

Am I crazy to move to WAV files and tagging. Can you tag these files? If so with what program... that ends up with tags compatible with minimserver?...

The WAV specification doesn't include support for tagging. There's something slightly similar (BWF/bext), but it isn't the same thing.

Some tagging programs and media servers have added ID3 tagging to WAV files as a nonstandard extension. I'm reluctant to do this in MinimServer because I think it's better to conform to the standard specifications. Also, MinimServer's ability to do WAV transcoding makes this unnecessary.

Note: Currently, only FLAC to WAV transcoding is supported. I'm working on providing other transcoding options as a future enhancement.
14-04-2013, 17:00 (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 17:01 by Peter@57m.)
The Altmann Tera looks interesting. I also saw the following on their website:
On the MAC you can use the free XLD software to load the music on the SDHC card for your Tera-Player. I have XLD configured to convert all incoming files (Apple Lossless, Flac, ogg, mp3, etc.) to WAV while copying to the SDHC card.

On the Windows PC you can use the excellent XRECODE software for converting and copying files to the SDHC card

Both work very well

So you could convert to Flac, use a variety of programs for tagging, MinimServer with a variety of control points and one of the programs above to sync music to your Tera. And you would just maintain a single lossless flac copy of your music.

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
15-04-2013, 07:21 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 07:21 by wappinghigh.)
(14-04-2013 17:00)Peter@57m Wrote:  The Altmann Tera looks interesting. I also saw the following on their website:
On the MAC you can use the free XLD software to load the music on the SDHC card for your Tera-Player. I have XLD configured to convert all incoming files (Apple Lossless, Flac, ogg, mp3, etc.) to WAV while copying to the SDHC card.

On the Windows PC you can use the excellent XRECODE software for converting and copying files to the SDHC card

Both work very well

So you could convert to Flac, use a variety of programs for tagging, MinimServer with a variety of control points and one of the programs above to sync music to your Tera. And you would just maintain a single lossless flac copy of your music.

Peter. Thanks so much for the suggestions. Following Simon's comments about minimserver and wav support, I think I'll use AIFF. And convert those to wav for the Altman. And search for better tagging programs that support AIFF. See my other post. cheers and very appreciative of your comments
01-07-2013, 09:25
(14-04-2013 12:29)ReneZ Wrote:  IIRC WAV only allows very limited tagging of files, however with Simon's program you can have the best of both worlds. Save the files as uncompressed FLAC (you can select your compression rate in DBPoweramp batch converter), use MP3TAG to get the tag's you want and set MinimServer as converting to WAV. Your control points see the information of the FLAC files (fully tagged), but the streamer gets WAV files served. Good luck :-)

How does one "set minimserver as converting to WAV"?

Thanks

best
01-07-2013, 09:47
(01-07-2013 09:25)best Wrote:  How does one "set minimserver as converting to WAV"?

Thanks

best

From the minim icon, select Properties. In the Properties window, set the transcode property to wav (or wav24) and click OK.

After making the change, you need to refresh the control point's view of your library. For most control points, browsing up to the 'Home' page will do this. To be sure this has happened, you can restart MinimServer.

When you play an album, the control point's 'Now Playing' track information should show WAV instead of FLAC.

You can find further information about transcoding to WAV in this section.
27-08-2013, 17:55
(14-04-2013 15:13)simoncn Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 09:44)wappinghigh Wrote:  Further to my thread on what tagging software to use once ditching itunes, can Minimserver support Tag's in WAV files..

The WAV specification doesn't include support for tagging. There's something slightly similar (BWF/bext), but it isn't the same thing.

Some tagging programs and media servers have added ID3 tagging to WAV files as a nonstandard extension. I'm reluctant to do this in MinimServer because I think it's better to conform to the standard specifications. Also, MinimServer's ability to do WAV transcoding makes this unnecessary.

Note: Currently, only FLAC to WAV transcoding is supported. I'm working on providing other transcoding options as a future enhancement.

Simon,
I am using an Oppo BDP105 as a player and have Minimserver installed to my Synology NAS 710+. I have modified the Minim setting to convert FLAC to WAV24. What happens then is that I no longer see the imbeded art work and other tag information from the OPPO, but I do get better sound. If I remove the WAV24 setting then I see the tag information. I have to assume this a problem with OPPO since others in this forum recommend wav24 to get the quality improvement while preserving tags.