Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Group tag
01-03-2021, 09:14
Group tag
I am trying to use the Group tag for classical music. I encounter a lot of problems in cases where the compositions are not strictly in sequence. Many albums, such as concert or recital recordings, do not have the pieces of the compositions in the "logical" sequence but obviously respect the sequence desired by the performer. This places a big limit on the use of the Group tag, I was wondering if it was not possible to remove the constraint of the "logical" sequence.
A couple of examples:
Album: The Rubinstein Collection, Vol. 10 ....
4 piano pieces, op. 119, 6 piano pieces, op. 118 and 2 rhapsodies, op. 79 are scattered in different non-sequential tracks, their sequence is the original one of the recording.

Album: Liszt Mazeppa, Ungarische fantasie ....
Ungarische Rhapsodie No. 4 & 5 (both part of Ungarische Rhapsodien, S.242) are not sequenced in the original recording.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2021, 10:29
RE: Group tag
For this situation, you should be using some other tag such as Work.

When tracks are combined as a Group, these tracks are played together and consecutively. These tracks are part of an album or disc and playing the album or disc containing these tracks should play the tracks in the order desired by the performer (interspersed with other pieces). Using a Group would contradict the performer's intention because it changes the playing order.

Using a Work is preferable because this doesn't prevent the tracks from being played in the correct order as part of the disc or album. The tracks that make up the Work can also be viewed and played consecutively if desired.
01-03-2021, 10:44
Thanks Simon, that's what I'm using right now.
I liked the use of the Group tag for how it presented the album, from an aesthetic point of view.
Okay, thanks again
01-03-2021, 22:14
Which control point do you use? I would be interested to view the aesthetic differences you are seeing. Could you post some screenshots?
02-03-2021, 00:11
I'm using Lümin app
here how an album is showed without using Group tag, all tracks are in sequence ....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-03-2021, 00:12
.... and here is how the same album is showed using Group tag

02-03-2021, 09:42
Thanks for these screenshots. How does it look when you use the Work tag for tracks that are not consecutive and select these tracks using the Work tag?
02-03-2021, 10:37
Your questions make me think there is some problem with my configuration.
Some premises:
- I didn't use the Work tag in my files, they are a mix of alac and flac.
- for alac files the Composition is in the ContentGroup tag, for flac files it is in the Grouping tag (I use Yate / 2manyrobots to tag the files).
- I then used the aliasTags property to convert ContentGroup and Grouping to Work (ie "ContentGroup:Work, Grouping:Work").
- the Work tag is inserted in indexTags.
With this configuration the album display is the one I attached in the previous post # 5, no tracks are grouped by Work.
02-03-2021, 10:44
(02-03-2021 09:42)simoncn Wrote:  How does it look when you use the Work tag for tracks that are not consecutive and select these tracks using the Work tag?

... and this how not consecutive tracks show up going through Work tag

02-03-2021, 11:01 (This post was last modified: 02-03-2021 11:02 by simoncn.)
(02-03-2021 10:44)stefano_mbp Wrote:  ... and this how not consecutive tracks show up going through Work tag

Thanks for this. Some control points provide a "one click" action to add all these tracks to the playing queue but I couldn't find a way to do this with the LUMIN app. Do you know if this is possible?