Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Separate Album Releases Seen as One Album
25-11-2020, 02:20 (This post was last modified: 25-11-2020 02:24 by The Incredible Boom Boom.)
Separate Album Releases Seen as One Album
Hello, there.

I've recently started using MinimServer and am having an issue I just can't seem to figure out. For several artists, I have multiple releases of the same album and while MinimServer correctly reads the majority of them as separate releases, there are some that - even with all input settings removed - MinimServer thinks are one album. The pattern by which this behavior occurs seems to be when the album has multiple discs. For example, I have three releases of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" and both the directory hierarchy and tags for each delineate between each album's separate discs.

Code:
..\Marvin Gaye - (1971) (2008) What's Going On  [US · Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab MFSL 1-314 · 12 Vinyl]
    ..\CD 01
    ..\CD 02

..\Marvin Gaye - (1971) (2009) What's Going On [JP · Motown Records UICY-94036~7 · SHM-CD]
    ..\CD 01
    ..\CD 02

The tracks are tagged in a manner that allows each release to be properly distinguished from another by MusicBee... and (along with the differing directories) should as well with MinimServer (by my assumption). All relevant tracks are FLAC and use Vorbis Comments. For instance, the latter album ORIGYEAR=1971 ORIGINALDATE=1971-05-20 DATE=2009-04-09 which should distinguish it from the former, which contains the tags ORIGYEAR=1971 ORIGINALDATE=1971-05-20 DATE=2008-02-01.

I'm using minimserver-0.8.5.2 and mergeFolderAlbums=false. When true is assigned to this setting, it collapses all the albums into one. If any more details are needed, I'm happy to provide them.

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2020, 07:55
RE: Separate Album Releases Seen as One Album
MinimServer decides whether to merge albums across folders by looking at the ALBUM, ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags. It doesn't look at other tags such as DATE.

To prevent unintended merging, you can use a match filter in the folder name. The match filter is a string of the form ['....'] at the end of the folder name. For the folder naming convention you are using, changing [ and ] to [' and '] will create match filters and give you the results you want.

Multidisc albums are always merged unless there is a match filter preventing this. For single-disc albums, merging is controlled by the mergeFolderAlbums property and also by match filters.

The merging rules are explained in the Albums and folders section of the User guide.
25-11-2020, 12:07
I use a crude solution to this problem; I add a date in brackets after the entry in 'Album Artist'.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
25-11-2020, 15:28
I had a similar problem.

I didn't want to butcher the folder name or the album/album artist field so I ended up creating a new tag that uniquely identified the album (could just be a counter 1-x) that I then used in MinimSever as "Album" so that it groups everything correctly, and used .displayFormat to change it back for display purposes.

aliasTags: Album:inAlbum,ALBUMUNIQID:Album
itemTags: inAlbum
tagOptions: Album.sortTags={+inAlbum}
tagFormat: Album.displayFormat={$inAlbum}
25-11-2020, 20:06
For the OP's situation, there is not much "butchering" in adding two quote marks. Smile
20-12-2020, 04:34 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2020 05:03 by The Incredible Boom Boom.)
Sorry about the lateness of this response, but I've finally had a moment to mess around with MinimServer some more and think about the solutions offered. Thanks for giving them!

(25-11-2020 15:28)simbun Wrote:  I had a similar problem.

I didn't want to butcher the folder name or the album/album artist field so I ended up creating a new tag that uniquely identified the album (could just be a counter 1-x) that I then used in MinimSever as "Album" so that it groups everything correctly, and used .displayFormat to change it back for display purposes.

aliasTags: Album:inAlbum,ALBUMUNIQID:Album
itemTags: inAlbum
tagOptions: Album.sortTags={+inAlbum}
tagFormat: Album.displayFormat={$inAlbum}

I like this one most, as altering all my album folder names would be quite the task.
I am having one issue, though. My library is mostly made up of FLAC files, with a few MP3 and DSF albums sprinkled in. Using the above solution, my FLAC albums display as I want:

What's Going On? (1971) (2008) [12" Vinyl]

But albums made of MP3 or DSF files (ID3v2.3 tags) are all packed into a [no album] folder. My settings (I'm pasting the complete lines, in case something in one of them is causing the interference) below:

aliasTags: ARTISTSORT:Artists, MEDIATYPE:Media, Album:viewAlbum, MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID:Album
itemTags: +Date, DiscNumber, OriginalDate, Media, viewAlbum, Style
tagOptions: Album.sortTags={OriginalDate, Date}, all.ignore.sort={The, A, An, DJ, ., *, Lil, Lil'}, OriginalDate.yearOnly.display
tagFormat: Album.displayFormat={$viewAlbum^$OriginalDate^ (^)^$Date^ $Media^ [^]}

EDIT: Using TALB:viewAlbum correctly separates out each album in any format, but only the dates and the media type are displayed. The album name is not.
20-12-2020, 08:25 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2020 08:41 by simoncn.)
If you put TALB:viewAlbum into aliasTags, viewAlbum will be missing from your files (as you have seen). TALB is the name of an ID3v2 frame, not a MinimServer tag. To reference it in aliasTags, you need to use Album:viewAlbum.

Regarding the [no album] issue, are you sure your MP3 and DSF files contain TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID frames?
23-12-2020, 01:44
(20-12-2020 08:25)simoncn Wrote:  If you put TALB:viewAlbum into aliasTags, viewAlbum will be missing from your files (as you have seen). TALB is the name of an ID3v2 frame, not a MinimServer tag. To reference it in aliasTags, you need to use Album:viewAlbum.

Regarding the [no album] issue, are you sure your MP3 and DSF files contain TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID frames?

And that's it! MP3 and DSF files use MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID. I had looked at the tags several times, but my brain ignored totally the difference. Good call.