Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Artists in Jaikoz
10-06-2012, 22:15
Multiple Artists in Jaikoz
Is it possible to manually edit the Artist tag to include multiple artists using Jaikoz? The convention in mp3tag (artist1\\artist2\\artist3 etc.) doesn't seem to work in Jaikoz, which just returns one artist called 'artist1\\artist2\\artist3'.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2012, 09:47
RE: Multiple Artists in Jaikoz
(10-06-2012 22:15)Wammer Wrote:  Is it possible to manually edit the Artist tag to include multiple artists using Jaikoz? The convention in mp3tag (artist1\\artist2\\artist3 etc.) doesn't seem to work in Jaikoz, which just returns one artist called 'artist1\\artist2\\artist3'.

I haven't used Jaikoz myself. In the Jaikoz documentation, it says:

Values are what are stored by a field such as the 'Artist' field may contain the value 'The MisVitals'. Some fields can have multiple values for example the Genre field may contain two values such as 'Rock' and 'Pop'

The example screenshot shows the Genre field with a value of Rock/Pop, so it might be worth trying artist1/artist2/artist3 to see if that works.
11-06-2012, 10:58
(11-06-2012 09:47)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-06-2012 22:15)Wammer Wrote:  Is it possible to manually edit the Artist tag to include multiple artists using Jaikoz? The convention in mp3tag (artist1\\artist2\\artist3 etc.) doesn't seem to work in Jaikoz, which just returns one artist called 'artist1\\artist2\\artist3'.

I haven't used Jaikoz myself. In the Jaikoz documentation, it says:

Values are what are stored by a field such as the 'Artist' field may contain the value 'The MisVitals'. Some fields can have multiple values for example the Genre field may contain two values such as 'Rock' and 'Pop'

The example screenshot shows the Genre field with a value of Rock/Pop, so it might be worth trying artist1/artist2/artist3 to see if that works.

Sadly, it would appear not. As far as I can tell from reading the manual and experimenting, it would seem that only those fields with number next to them in the Edit Panel can contain multiple fields. The number indicates the number of values set within that field for that track.

Thanks for going to the trouble of looking into this. It is very frustrating given that MinimServer gives me the option to have multiple artists. I shall try a post on the Jaikoz forums asking if the developers can include it in a future release.
15-11-2012, 06:02
The convention (at least where VorbisComments is concerned) is that multiple entries are delimited using ";" or "\\". mp3tag uses "\\" as the delimiter.
17-10-2017, 09:55 (This post was last modified: 17-10-2017 10:19 by paultaylor.)
Just came across this post. FYI in Jaikoz for some time you have been able to add multiple artists to the artist and albumartist fields by clicking on the number box beside the field. However we do also have artists and albumartists fields for this purpose when doing automatching, this allows you to store connectors:

e.g
artist:
Johnny Cash & June Carter

artists:
Johnny Cash
June Carter

(in the above example ' & ' is the connector)

For ID3 formats there is also a shortcut for entering multiple values if you enter '\u0000' it saves the null character, and this is what is used by ID3 formats (MP3, WAV, AIF) to separate multiple values, when you save the changes and reload the files in Jaikoz it will then show it as multiple values (i.e. numeric count beside the field shows 2 rather than 1)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2017, 15:22
The null '\u0000' separator for multiple values is supported in the ID3v2.4 specification. The ID3v2.3 specification uses the slash '/' character for this purpose but only for a limited set of frames.
18-10-2017, 07:36
(17-10-2017 15:22)simoncn Wrote:  The null '\u0000' separator for multiple values is supported in the ID3v2.4 specification. The ID3v2.3 specification uses the slash '/' character for this purpose but only for a limited set of frames.
True, but like many applications we break the ID3v23 spec here because it isn't up to the task. I can say with confidence that many applications break this because the underlying jaudiotagger library used by Beatunes, Bliss tagger and very many Android apps does not recognise the '/' delimiter for V23 only the null delimiter.
18-10-2017, 09:48 (This post was last modified: 18-10-2017 09:49 by simoncn.)
Thanks for this information. This is a good example of the problems that result when implementations "extend" the specification. Do you think the author of jaudiotagger could be persuaded to recognise the standard '/' delimiter for those ID3v2.3 frames where the ID3v2.3 specification requires support?
18-10-2017, 10:52
(18-10-2017 09:48)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this information. This is a good example of the problems that result when implementations "extend" the specification. Do you think the author of jaudiotagger could be persuaded to recognise the standard '/' delimiter for those ID3v2.3 frames where the ID3v2.3 specification requires support?
Well the author of jaudiotagger is me, so we do have an issue for this - https://bitbucket.org/ijabz/jaudiotagger...-that-some but none has ever requested the functionality. So I am happy to add, but its not a priority and I would not remove the null support which is what most applications actually use.

The trouble is there are many situations where people who need multiple field support in ID3 but cannot convert to ID3v24 because of lack of support for it in certain applications.
18-10-2017, 11:02
This issue seems to refer to writing multiple values into a field. What is the position with reading multiple values that were written by some other tagger in the standard format with a '/' separator (for those frames that support '/' separators)?

I understand the rationale for adding the nonstandard extension where the standard doesn't provide the capability but I don't see any reason for not supporting the standard specification where it does provide the capability.