Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcoding AIFF to...
04-02-2016, 16:59
RE: Transcoding AIFF to...
(04-02-2016 16:46)Wilts_RM Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the Naim can play the AIFF stream, although Naim do recommend that WAV is used where possible.

I've done quite a lot of listening, and, for reasons I really can't begin to understand or explain, WAV files do sound a touch better with my Naim streamer than AIFF. There's a greater degree of coherence somehow with the WAVs, with the AIFF files sounding a bit edgier. It's subjective I know, and I'm sure there will be others who disagree, but this is just my experience.

As I say, given that WAV and AIFF both carry the same information, i'm at a loss to explain the difference. I'd suggest its just something in the way the Naim streamers work, but at least Naim are upfront about it I suppose.

I'm really enjoying the better organisation and tagging that Minimserver provides, and I really like the I can list an artist's albums chronologically. AIFF to WAV transcoding would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks again for replying. I really appreciate all the work that goes in to creating this wonderful software.

Best wishes,

Wilts_RM

Thanks for explaining why this would be useful to you. It has been a while since this was first requested and I will look into what it would take to add this support.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2016, 01:15
+1 for requesting AIFF:WAV

;-)

(04-02-2016 16:59)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 16:46)Wilts_RM Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the Naim can play the AIFF stream, although Naim do recommend that WAV is used where possible.

I've done quite a lot of listening, and, for reasons I really can't begin to understand or explain, WAV files do sound a touch better with my Naim streamer than AIFF. There's a greater degree of coherence somehow with the WAVs, with the AIFF files sounding a bit edgier. It's subjective I know, and I'm sure there will be others who disagree, but this is just my experience.

As I say, given that WAV and AIFF both carry the same information, i'm at a loss to explain the difference. I'd suggest its just something in the way the Naim streamers work, but at least Naim are upfront about it I suppose.

I'm really enjoying the better organisation and tagging that Minimserver provides, and I really like the I can list an artist's albums chronologically. AIFF to WAV transcoding would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks again for replying. I really appreciate all the work that goes in to creating this wonderful software.

Best wishes,

Wilts_RM

Thanks for explaining why this would be useful to you. It has been a while since this was first requested and I will look into what it would take to add this support.
10-07-2016, 06:43 (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 06:43 by maikeru.)
Hi Simon - any update on this request for AIFF:wav24?
11-07-2016, 17:39
(10-07-2016 06:43)maikeru Wrote:  Hi Simon - any update on this request for AIFF:wav24?

Not yet. I hope to have some time to work on this in the next few weeks.
13-07-2016, 01:30
(11-07-2016 17:39)simoncn Wrote:  Not yet. I hope to have some time to work on this in the next few weeks.

Thank you Simon!
13-08-2016, 04:50
(11-07-2016 17:39)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 06:43)maikeru Wrote:  Hi Simon - any update on this request for AIFF:wav24?

Not yet. I hope to have some time to work on this in the next few weeks.

Hopefully you will do it, thanks.
09-10-2016, 02:57 (This post was last modified: 09-10-2016 03:00 by wappinghigh.)
Hi Simon, how far away from AIFF>wav24 or AIFF>ALAC or AIFF>FLAC are you? A week? days? Next firmware? Sorry, but I have just bought a new streamer as well and it hasn't got AIFF either... Minimserver transcoding is a godsend.. I've been using it for DSD over Dop for over 12 months now and that has been awesome. Thanks as always for the great product. W.
09-10-2016, 09:26
(09-10-2016 02:57)wappinghigh Wrote:  Hi Simon, how far away from AIFF>wav24 or AIFF>ALAC or AIFF>FLAC are you? A week? days? Next firmware? Sorry, but I have just bought a new streamer as well and it hasn't got AIFF either... Minimserver transcoding is a godsend.. I've been using it for DSD over Dop for over 12 months now and that has been awesome. Thanks as always for the great product. W.

This is high on my to-do list but I can't give any time estimate for when it will be available.
09-10-2016, 22:58
(09-10-2016 09:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 02:57)wappinghigh Wrote:  Hi Simon, how far away from AIFF>wav24 or AIFF>ALAC or AIFF>FLAC are you? A week? days? Next firmware? Sorry, but I have just bought a new streamer as well and it hasn't got AIFF either... Minimserver transcoding is a godsend.. I've been using it for DSD over Dop for over 12 months now and that has been awesome. Thanks as always for the great product. W.

This is high on my to-do list but I can't give any time estimate for when it will be available.
Thats OK. No problem.. Can convert AIFF>Apple lossless real easy using itunes. Cheers.
31-03-2017, 20:15
Hi Simon,

Any news about this feature?

Thanks