Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Istallation failure of minimserver on windows7
02-05-2016, 22:42
Istallation failure of minimserver on windows7
I have two pc s containing music, l am having difficultu finishing installation of minimserver because of a problem with Winrar which I don't understand. On one PC installation is perfect and no problem, on the other pc after executing the file the final shortcut appears in a winrar window and the icon never appears in the function tray to start reading my music. I installed winrar again but still the smae problem exists.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2016, 18:23
RE: Istallation failure of minimserver on windows7
To which file does the 'final shortcut' (a phrase I don't quite understand) refer? Is it, by any chance, a file with the extension 'jar'? If it is, then the likelihood is that, on the machine with which you are having difficulty, the file association for .jar (Java program files) has been changed to link them (wrongly) to WinRar.

Assuming you are using standard Oracle Java on Windows, the association should be 'Java Platform ™ SE binary'. If it is something different the association will need to be changed; the easiest way to do this is probably to uninstall Java (both 32- and 64-bit if you have both), and re-download and reinstall the latest version. The file association can the be checked in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations.

Incidentally, unless you are aware of a special reason to have both 32- and 64-bit versions of Java on your machine, you need only install the version which matches the version (32- or 64-bit) of MinimServer you are using. And, again unless there are particular reasons for doing otherwise, you should disable Java in your web browser(s); in Windows 7, there should be an icon for the Java Control Panel in the Windows Control Panel.

David
03-05-2016, 19:34
Dear David,
Thank you so much for your reply. I will do this and get back to you.
03-05-2016, 21:12 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2016 21:15 by simoncn.)
(02-05-2016 22:42)Yasser Wrote:  I have two pc s containing music, l am having difficultu finishing installation of minimserver because of a problem with Winrar which I don't understand. On one PC installation is perfect and no problem, on the other pc after executing the file the final shortcut appears in a winrar window and the icon never appears in the function tray to start reading my music. I installed winrar again but still the smae problem exists.

On this PC, the WinRAR program is associated with the .jar file extension, so that opening a .jar file causes WinRAR to be launched instead of running MinimWatch. To fix this, you can launch WinRAR and use the Options > Settings > Integration dialog to remove the JAR association from WinRAR.

It will not be sufficient to just uninstall and reinstall Java as this will not remove the existing WinRAR association for .jar files.
04-05-2016, 14:48 (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 16:26 by Yasser.)
David and Simoncn,
I did install java and actually the association with Winrar disappeared and the program was installed and the icon is now running in the task bar down on the right, but;
The folder which the program told me will use to get my music from or into, l don't know, isn't there. I mean when l open the directory to see the folder l can't find it, so in a nutshell the program is running but no music is in it. I am opening the application of Esoteric on my ipad and it sees the icon of minimserver and trying to upload the music but actually nothing happens..
I'm a bit lost, can you both help me?
04-05-2016, 18:24
What device have you used for your MinimServer installation? Where is your music located on this device?
04-05-2016, 18:31
Simoncn,
I'm not sure I understand you but I used my regular PC with windows 7 and my music are located on the same pc, three hard discs 4 tera of music downloads.
04-05-2016, 18:57
(04-05-2016 18:31)Yasser Wrote:  Simoncn,
I'm not sure I understand you but I used my regular PC with windows 7 and my music are located on the same pc, three hard discs 4 tera of music downloads.

OK, thanks. You need to select Properties from the minim icon and put the folders or discs containing your music in the contentDir property. As your music is in multiple locations, you need to click the '+' button in the contentDir property to enter all your locations.

What do you currently have entered in the contentDir property?
04-05-2016, 21:11
Oh l see, ok I 'll do this tomorrow and get back to you, I'm so glad you are with me on this.
05-05-2016, 15:59 (This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 15:59 by Yasser.)
Simoncn,
My 4 sata disc pc is in 4 partitions, C, D, F and H, my music is in diffrent folders on the D,F and H. I opened the properties and wrote the letters in the directory, apply and then OK. Now what?