Post Reply 
deb packages
26-11-2015, 19:08
Post: #11
RE: deb packages
(26-11-2015 17:56)igrnt Wrote:  I understand your concerns, most importantly the extra work required. Note that I'm not asking you to create and maintain deb packages - I can and would have done this myself just for OMV, but I got the impression that the licence prohibits this. So my question is: would you be happy to allow this?

This immediately resolves your issues 1-4.

I don't think it resolves issue 1. If you keep the current MinimServer folder layout, issue 1 still applies. If you don't keep the current MinimServer folder layout, you would need to completely rewrite the MinimServer scripts.

Regarding issue 2, new releases of MinimServer would not be available on OMV immediately but would require you to do a further packaging step first. If for any reason you were not able to do this, MinimServer users on OMV would be unable to upgrade to the new release. With the VortexBox approach, new releases are available to VortexBox users immediately.

Regarding issue 3, I presume your .deb package would be available as an alternative to my .tar.gz packages, unless you have done something when building the package that ties it specifically to OMV.

Quote:It should (would) also satisfy issue 5.

I presume this would require you to rewrite the functionality in the minimserver/bin/update command. If I were to make changes to minimserver/bin/update in the future because the foilder structure changes, your version wouldn't work any more.

Quote:I don't consider issue 6 to be a problem - if an OMV user wanted to do this, they would be free to go 'off-piste', but the OMV plugin wouldn't support it. In any case, such a situation requires some customization, no? The init scripts don't start multiple instances, do they?

The current scripts have full support for multiple instances with no user customization. If you install MinimServer in a second directory and run minimserver/bin/setup to enable autostart, the init script will be modified to start both instances.

Quote:Of course, ultimately I will respect your wishes, and if I have to do it similar to the VortexBox way I will.

For the reasons given above, I do not wish to allow MinimServer to be repackaged and redistributed by someone else as a .deb package.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2015, 19:23
Post: #12
RE: deb packages
(26-11-2015 19:08)simoncn Wrote:  For the reasons given above, I do not wish to allow MinimServer to be repackaged and redistributed by someone else as a .deb package.

Understood, it's fair enough.

Then it just remains to clarify what parameters or restrictions apply to scripting an installation or upgrade of MinimServer. The VortexBox method loads the download page, presumably this URL can be guaranteed to be stable. What about the direct links themselves, do they change?
Does MinimServer check for updates regularly? If so, how is the user notified, via MinimWatch or :9790? I didn't check this bit of VortexBox - or does the user themselves have to check for updates?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2015, 21:09 (This post was last modified: 26-11-2015 21:18 by simoncn.)
Post: #13
RE: deb packages
(26-11-2015 19:23)igrnt Wrote:  Understood, it's fair enough.

Then it just remains to clarify what parameters or restrictions apply to scripting an installation or upgrade of MinimServer. The VortexBox method loads the download page, presumably this URL can be guaranteed to be stable. What about the direct links themselves, do they change?
Does MinimServer check for updates regularly? If so, how is the user notified, via MinimWatch or :9790? I didn't check this bit of VortexBox - or does the user themselves have to check for updates?

The direct links do change and no-one should rely on these. The only guaranteed stable URL (at present) is the URL that VortexBox uses. Ths URL is guaranteed to return a direct download URL for the most recent release of MinimServer. If OMV can't use the same URL as VortexBox for some reason, I would be open to adding something else that is more suitable.

There is a difference between updates and releases. MinimServer and MinimWatch handle updates automatically and/or by prompting the user. At present, this prompting occurs via MinimWatch. It could also be done via :9790 but this would require enhancing :9790 to add the capability of doing the update, which isn't possible at present and would be a moderate amount of work.

For new releases, at present the user isn't notified automatically and needs to discover that a new release is available (for example, by looking at the MinimServer website). This will change in the next MinimServer update, with users being notified automatically via MinimWatch when there is a new release that they need to install in order to receive further updates. They would need to install the new release manually themselves.

It shouldn't be too difficult to add this "new release" notification to :9790 and I will look into doing this.

The manual step of installing a new release could be automated (most easily on Linux) and I am open to providing a way to do this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)