Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver not IPv6 compatible??
02-09-2015, 02:31
Minimserver not IPv6 compatible??
I am unable to use the Minim server, Minimwatch web page access on my LAN to Synology NAS: the default address is IPv6 and this doesn't appear to work with Minim applications, page not found, see address format below

http://[fe80::211:32ff:fe31:(removed for security)]:9790

I can access the base web page for Minimserver if I do IP address discovery and replace the IPv6 address with the discovered IPv4 address. So it appears Minimserver hasn't been updated for IPv6 address support. When will this happen?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2015, 16:00
RE: Minimserver not IPv6 compatible??
Is this really a function of MinimServer, or the way your network works? You don't say what machine(s) (other than the Synology) are used on your network, or how the IPv6 default address was allocated.

On all Windows machines I have come across, IPv6 is disabled in the network adapter properties. Likewise, all the routers/DHCP servers I have used use IPv4 addresses by default (as one would expect on a LAN). And my players seem to use IPv4 addresses as well. So we need to know a bit more about your network configuration to understand how (and why) IPv6 addresses are supposed to work in your context.

David
02-09-2015, 20:40
(02-09-2015 02:31)davide256 Wrote:  I am unable to use the Minim server, Minimwatch web page access on my LAN to Synology NAS: the default address is IPv6 and this doesn't appear to work with Minim applications, page not found, see address format below

http://[fe80::211:32ff:fe31:(removed for security)]:9790

I can access the base web page for Minimserver if I do IP address discovery and replace the IPv6 address with the discovered IPv4 address. So it appears Minimserver hasn't been updated for IPv6 address support. When will this happen?

The UPnP architecture doesn't support IPv6, only IPv4. As MinimServer is a UPnP server, it only has IPv4 support.

Are you opening the MinimServer status web page by typing the IP address manually or are you clicking the "URL" link on the MinimServer page in the Synology Package Center? The "URL" link should have the correct IPv4 address.
03-09-2015, 18:43
(02-09-2015 20:40)simoncn Wrote:  The UPnP architecture doesn't support IPv6, only IPv4. As MinimServer is a UPnP server, it only has IPv4 support.

Thanks for that information, which I did not know. It makes sense. Unless and until IPv6 completely displaces IPv4 (not soon, I'd guess), it is difficult to see what use IPv6 could be in the kind of LAN environment where UPnP devices are typically found. If UPnP is IPv4 only, so also, I presume is DNLA?

David
03-09-2015, 21:14
(03-09-2015 18:43)DavidHB Wrote:  Thanks for that information, which I did not know. It makes sense. Unless and until IPv6 completely displaces IPv4 (not soon, I'd guess), it is difficult to see what use IPv6 could be in the kind of LAN environment where UPnP devices are typically found. If UPnP is IPv4 only, so also, I presume is DNLA?

David

Yes, DLNA is also limited to IPv4 only.

UPnP and DLNA are intended for use within a LAN. IPv6 is intended to solve the problem of the global internet running out of unique IP addresses. As such, there doesn't seem to be a compelling need for UPnP and DLNA to add support for IPv6.
03-09-2015, 22:43
(03-09-2015 21:14)simoncn Wrote:  UPnP and DLNA are intended for use within a LAN. IPv6 is intended to solve the problem of the global internet running out of unique IP addresses. As such, there doesn't seem to be a compelling need for UPnP and DLNA to add support for IPv6.

My thoughts exactly. Which is why I wondered why the OP was using IPv6 to address the NAS, also a device intended for use on a LAN ...

David
05-09-2015, 01:07
(03-09-2015 22:43)DavidHB Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 21:14)simoncn Wrote:  UPnP and DLNA are intended for use within a LAN. IPv6 is intended to solve the problem of the global internet running out of unique IP addresses. As such, there doesn't seem to be a compelling need for UPnP and DLNA to add support for IPv6.

My thoughts exactly. Which is why I wondered why the OP was using IPv6 to address the NAS, also a device intended for use on a LAN ...

David

The NAS is a Synology DS214 connected to a Verizon FIOS router. This was working as IPv4 then sometime in the last few months an upgrade seems to have turned on IPv6 on the NAS and the Minimserver web interface is negligent in not supporting IPv6 addressing... UPNP works fine. Wake up there... Asia has long run out of new IPv4 addresses to hand out for users and the US just ran out.
05-09-2015, 01:18
(05-09-2015 01:07)davide256 Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 22:43)DavidHB Wrote:  

David

The NAS is a Synology DS214 connected to a Verizon FIOS router. This was working as IPv4 then sometime in the last few months an upgrade seems to have turned on IPv6 on the NAS and the Minimserver web interface is negligent in not supporting IPv6 addressing... UPNP works fine. Wake up there... Asia has long run out of new IPv4 addresses to hand out for users and the US just ran out.

And I'd also suggest you study up on how IPv6 routes will always be used first if DNS returns both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
05-09-2015, 09:35 (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 10:27 by simoncn.)
(05-09-2015 01:07)davide256 Wrote:  The NAS is a Synology DS214 connected to a Verizon FIOS router. This was working as IPv4 then sometime in the last few months an upgrade seems to have turned on IPv6 on the NAS and the Minimserver web interface is negligent in not supporting IPv6 addressing... UPNP works fine. Wake up there... Asia has long run out of new IPv4 addresses to hand out for users and the US just ran out.

It would be helpful if you could reply to my earlier question from this post:

Are you opening the MinimServer status web page by typing the IP address manually or are you clicking the "URL" link on the MinimServer page in the Synology Package Center? The "URL" link should have the correct IPv4 address.
05-09-2015, 17:58
(05-09-2015 01:18)davide256 Wrote:  And I'd also suggest you study up on how IPv6 routes will always be used first if DNS returns both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

I found your reference to DNS interesting, so I did do some reading. I now understand that IPv6 is more than just a bigger address space; the idea is that each device on every network will have its own unique IP address, and this will get rid of the reserved LAN address space we are used to, and with it NAT and DHCP (though my router provides an option to enable IPv6 in DHCP, which I find confusing; more reading is clearly required).

I also found an amendment to the UPnP Device Architecture (UDA) v 1.1 which seeks to make it compliant with IPv6, and also gives preference to IPv6 where both forms of address are present.

However, what is also clear from my reading is that, where IPv4 can be used, IPv6 implementation is currently patchy at best. I suspect that, while Simon's statement that

the UPnP architecture doesn't support IPv6, only IPv4

may need clarification, it probably represents the real world state of things. If the UPnP AV stack used in your device is IPv4 only, that is really the end of the matter as far as that device is concerned. And that must be the case with millions of DNLA devices currently in use.

A server, even when IPv6 capable, will have to have some means of supporting IPv4 clients. At the same time, while the current IPv4/DHCP/NAT architecture for LANs may be technically messy, sheer inertia is, I suspect, likely to keep it dominant for some time to come.

David